Disabled parking tag

tigercat

I live in Ontario Canada and have a handicapped card. I do need it. The only way to get it is to have it certified by a Dr. that you need it. But I assume that some people manage to get it without being handicapped but I do need it. We will be driving to Ft. Lauderdale for our cruise and will need to use it on the way down as well as at the port. I will be bringing a scooter and will have something in the car to get it out of the car but figure on paying for parking.

Do I need to get a different card for my car for the States? Where would I find out the information for that?

Any help would be appreciated.

tigercat

Hi,

I am from the UK and have used my "Blue Badge" in the USA many times and never had any problem. You are supposed to get authorisation from the state governors office but I would think that anyone in authority that checked your parking badge would really be a "jobsworth" if they didn't accept your own badge.

Pete

I won't have a lift but I will have an attachment on the back of my van to carry my scooter so I will end up having to pay. That's okay.

tigercat

We are also from Ontario and I have never had a problem using my handicap pass in the U.S. Ask the attendant if you qualify for the waiver of fees. We have a lift in our van, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Be prepared to pay and if you don't have to it is a bonus.

Darlene

Thanks I will. If it is free for me that's good but if not we will pay. What kind of scooter do you have? I don't have mine yet. I am still looking and waiting for the insurance to decide if they will pay for it or not.

tigercat

Thanks I will. If it is free for me that's good but if not we will pay. What kind of scooter do you have? I don't have mine yet. I am still looking and waiting for the insurance to decide if they will pay for it or not.

tigercat

I have a Pride, Victory 9 3 wheel scooter. Our cruise in January was the first time I had to use it on board. It maneuvers really well so I didn't have any problems on board.

Dar

We have a 10 passenger van with a wheelchair lift & hand controls. I believe we would qualify for free parking at the port. This trip we will be towing an 8' uhaul because we will have 10 people plus two wheelchairs & luggage. Does anyone know if we can still get the free parking with the uhaul? Thank you!!!

I live in Ontario Canada and have a handicapped card. I do need it. The only way to get it is to have it certified by a Dr. that you need it. But I assume that some people manage to get it without being handicapped but I do need it. We will be driving to Ft. Lauderdale for our cruise and will need to use it on the way down as well as at the port. I will be bringing a scooter and will have something in the car to get it out of the car but figure on paying for parking.

Do I need to get a different card for my car for the States? Where would I find out the information for that?

Any help would be appreciated.

tigercat

I use my handicapped card all over the US, however the rules are different in every state. In California, where I live, we are not required to pay the parking meters on the street, but in Georgia, last year I got a parking ticket for not paying the parking meter. Their laws are different there and the parking card only allows you to park in Blue handicapped spaces but you must still pay the meter.

So watch out!

Thanks Cruisewithh. I will remember that, although in all the times I have been to the States I have never come across parking meters where I am. I probably wouldn't have thought I didn't have to pay. I should look up the rules here in Canada for that.

tigercat

I won't have a lift but I will have an attachment on the back of my van to carry my scooter so I will end up having to pay. That's okay.

tigercat

I don't think you should have any problem getting the FREE parking at ANY port in Florida. Just make sure you take your HC card with you. Something to carry the scooter is exactly what they are looking for. Parking is about $120.00 otherwise.

I have never seen meters that we don't have to pay. There is always handicap parking but we still have to pay at the meter.

Dar

I don't know about other places but in Florida it is the law that parking is FREE at all Florida ports if you have a device of some kind on your car. Could be handicapped controls or a lift for a scooter.

Google HC parking at your specific port. Should be easy to find.

We have a 10 passenger van with a wheelchair lift & hand controls. I believe we would qualify for free parking at the port. This trip we will be towing an 8' uhaul because we will have 10 people plus two wheelchairs & luggage. Does anyone know if we can still get the free parking with the uhaul? Thank you!!!

I would not even question it. I would just show them the hand controls and the lift. Can't imagine they would decline you. You just need to bring it to their attention when leaving the lot. They will not automatically wave you through.

I always have my HC sign in the van. I am going to look into getting one for traveling. I thought I saw on the web site that if you are traveling you can get one just for that. That way my permanent one will be okay. I'll see. I might also be wrong about that. It would still be a valid sign though.

tigercat

We have used Dudette's B.C. issued card all over the US including Hawaii, we have used it in the Caribbean and throughout the UK and Europe. We have a home in AZ where we live for 5.5 mos each year and the BC card has never been an problem. The hardest thing to remember is to take it out of the rental car or tour van...we have left it behind more than once....as recently as Hilo in January.:o

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

tigercat

I have a platform that my scooter sits on at the rear of our vehicle. We do NOT have to pay at Florida ports.

When you leave the parking garage just tell the attendant at the booth. They will fill out paperwork and you'll be on your way. I have a scooter lift on the back of my car. Parking was free at Miami.

Sent from my ME301T using Forums mobile app

I have a platform that my scooter sits on at the rear of our vehicle. We do NOT have to pay at Florida ports.

I have a platform that my scooter sits on at the rear of our vehicle also, it has a fold down ramp. I do not have a HC license plate or rear mirror blue placard however, as with my scooter I don't require to park in close. Is this also a requirement, or is just the scooter platform enough to qualify ?

Thanks.

I have a platform that my scooter sits on at the rear of our vehicle also, it has a fold down ramp. I do not have a HC license plate or rear mirror blue placard however, as with my scooter I don't require to park in close. Is this also a requirement, or is just the scooter platform enough to qualify ?

Thanks.

You're required to have the following documents in order to obtain free disabled parking at the Port of Miami:

• State Issued: Driver's License/I.D. Card/Passport
  • Original Parking Sales Receipt/Parking Ticket Stub (No Copies)
  • Authentic Disability Placard/Permanent Disability License Plate
  • Proof of Sailing (Sailing Card or Original Purchased Ticket Issued from the Cruise Line)

Being that you do not have a Disability Placard or a Permanent Disability License Plate you probably will have to pay for parking.

Edited by xxoocruiser

tigercat

It the insurance does not pay, try Ebay. I purchased a new pride for $450 just by making an offer.

Good luck on your purchase and have a great cruise.

It the insurance does not pay, try Ebay. I purchased a new pride for $450 just by making an offer.

Good luck on your purchase and have a great cruise.

FYI it's helpful to look at the date of the post before replying. Tigercat's post that you replied to is over 17 months old as it was posted April 1, 2016.