Travel Protection Process

kollegekreed

Short story shorter - sprained my ankle this trip. Have a $400 bill.

What hoop will travel protection stick in front of me? Submit to regular health insurance first or?

Were you both injured and treated on the ship? Were you injured off the ship, and subsequently treated on the ship, or did both injury and treatment occur when off the ship? It may make a difference.

Have no real experience with this, but anecdotes I see posted here related to injury on board seem to indicate the passengers were not billed. But if you have been presented with a bill either by the ship or elsewhere, then you need to read your policy. Some coverages do indicate that private insurance is billed first. I would be making a call to the insurance now. You may want to get an itemized statement from the ship before you disembark.

Edited by punkincc

What hoop will travel protection stick in front of me? Submit to regular health insurance first or?

I was treated for bronchitis in the ship's hospital in October. I know the protocol is to first submit the bills to your health insurance. Then submit the denial or any balance to the trip insurance. I'm currently waiting on word from my insurance company.

The answer(s) to this will depend upon the specific terms of your policy.

You might want to post this question PLUS the type of policy on

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

which is specific for travel insurance.

As far as whether you need to submit to your regular health insurance first, again, that depends ENTIRELY upon your specific policy terms.

(Some policy terms require this, others don't, for example.)

Good luck.

GeezerCouple

To confirm, I was hurt and treated on the ship. They assured me the travel protection will have no problem paying, I'm just anticipating a few months of roadblocks...

Read the policy. Follow the claim process. As indicated, your travel insurance may require you to submit claims to any existing primary medical insurance, even if it will likely be denied.

It purely depends on cover you have. Some have an excess built in where you pay the first $100, $200, etc cost your self, make sure you read your policy carefully. It is the one document I read thoroughly ☺ a few years back I was on holiday when I had a seizure when I was out about by myself (day before cruise) I had an ambulance, ER care and various monitoring and scans and my insurance covered the lot, I didn't have to pay a penny. I think this depends on the country too, not sure if this is true but have heard that Spain charges your credit card and then you have to claim it back. Also beware that not all activities are covered. for example driving a car will be covered but riding a moped won't or swimming will be covered but diving. make sure you read the small print ☺

Depends on whether your travel insurance is primary or secondary.

100% depends on what your policy says. I'm planning on getting travel insurance for an upcoming trip and the terms are that they pay upfront, then they require you to seek re-imbursement from your health insurance as your primary insurance, and they will cover anything not covered as secondary insurance. My main reason for getting it, is that while my health insurance covers me out of the country, you have to pay upfront and get re-imbursed. For a $400 sprained ankle that's not the end of the world; but for a major illness or surgery that would be really hard to cover.