Seward to Anchorage post-cruise...Best Plan????

reeb4

We are on Radiance from Vancouver to Seward 6/13 - 6/20. It looks like we arrive at Seward early on the 20th. We have a flight out of Anchorage at approx 1:30 A.M. on the 21st. So, the question is, are we better off renting (I have a reservation already) a car and driving ourselves...spending the day seeing the sights along the way -- or -- spending the day in Seward and catching the 6:00 train to Anchorage (and all the experience that provides) arriving in Anchorage around 10:30 P.M.

We are a party of 4 - parents and 2 kids ages 17, 21 - but the kids have never been on a train and this looks awesome. The train costs more, but not really a lot more given the "captive" nature of the car rental.

I would think getting to Anchorage by 10:30 is plenty of time to get a taxi to the airport for our flight?

Anyone with experience doing either? Pros/cons? Thoughts/Suggestions?

Thanks!

What do the other family members want to do?

I've never taken the train but hear that it's very scenic. I've made the drive several times. Personally I prefer the flexibility of a car ... I can stop at scenic viewpoints, stop for wildlife viewing, and take detours to other points of interest.

There's a lot to see and do if you drive.... Exit Glacier, Wildlife Conservation Center, Alyeska Resort, Portage Lake, hiking, pan for gold, etc. But it really comes down to YOUR interests and priorities.

I would spend the day in the Seward area, maybe a trip to Kenai Fjords National Park tour, then take the train up. It is a spectacular ride, and much more relaxing than the drive.

We took the train from Anchorage to Seward and it was one of the most enjoyable rides. As a comparison, we drove from Anchorage to Denali and while it's more flexable, you cannot have the same sightseeing experience as the train in a vista dome car.

I would spend the day in the Seward area, maybe a trip to Kenai Fjords National Park tour, then take the train up. It is a spectacular ride, and much more relaxing than the drive.

Agree..completely..this is an option you should really consider ;)

The drive from Seward to Anchorage is also very nice but given the fact that your kids haven't been on a train I would book the train in a heartbeat. While I wouldn't want to take a train for days on end, I always enjoy train trips. We are doing a transatlantic in April, and will be staying in Europe for several weeks afterward. We will be moving between several cities by train and I am already looking forward to those train trips.

Either could be an excellent choice. YOUR group needs to determine, HOW you want to spend your day?? The train option, will put you in Seward with those activities. Is that where you want to be and what you want to do? Any priority interests in other areas? This decision will make the transit selection for you.

Haven't been to Alaska yet but this sounds like a great plan. Also, when I think of Alaska I think of the dome train along with snow covered mountains, bears, and whales. Nice to have all signature attractions covered.

Thanks to everyone. My wife and I took several train trips in Europe last summer and it really was a great experience. Add in the scenery of Alaska (at least what I have been told, since this is our first visit), and I think the kids will love it. I think we are going to go with the "spend time in Seward - take the train to Anchorage" option.

Really, it doesn't seem like we could go wrong with either choice.

Thanks, again.