Insight on booking a cabin for one.

tsg

I've always cruised with my husband or a friend. This year I am planning a cruise to Alaska for us plus two other family members. Neither of them have cruised before. I just assumed they would share a cabin, but they have both expressed an interest in having their own cabin. I think we've narrowed our choices down to either Princess or HAL. Looking at a couple of cruise itineraries, it looks like they would have to pay the same as if two people were in the cabin. Wondering though how things like the automatic gratuities are calculated. For one person, for two, something in between? Is there anything else we should know about before they book as a single?

Thanks!

Are they getting balconies? If yes, may I suggest getting two balconies on the same deck on opposites sides of the ship. Best if they are near a corridor that connect both sides.

Reason why. When you are doing passages there tends to be great shots on both sides of the ship, at those times I like to be out front taking pictures, but it can be very cold with the wind coming directly at you.

However, about half the trip has the really scenic shots on only one side of the ship (not counting the beautiful icebergs, dolphins riding the ship wake, orcs swimming under/besides the ships, whales breaking the water that can happen on any side).

Balconies are great for taking shots but quickly stepping inside to warm up.

PS. I don't know about the other cruise-lines but if you are up front in the cold, I will recommend the Holland America large mugs of hot chocolate or coffee with Irish Cream. They were very cheap and very very good!

Can you tell I really loved my Alaska trip?

Edited by Earl Colby Pottinger

Thanks for the information. Good to know that other than the double rate the other fees should be the same. I've been looking for rooms and finding three adjacent balcony rooms may be difficult.

Earl - Thank you for the suggestion. I was trying to get us all close to each other if not adjacent, but it would be a good idea to have rooms on each side so we can enjoy both views.

One thing with HAL and going solo... They *say* you can bring 2 bottles of wine per stateroom...but in reality it is one per person up to 2 per stateroom. So unlike other lines I have encountered where 2 means 2 regardless of how many people are in the stateroom, HAL does in a sense punish solos by only allowing one bottle.

If that matters.

One thing with HAL and going solo... They *say* you can bring 2 bottles of wine per stateroom...but in reality it is one per person up to 2 per stateroom. So unlike other lines I have encountered where 2 means 2 regardless of how many people are in the stateroom, HAL does in a sense punish solos by only allowing one bottle.

If that matters.

It matters. :D Thanks for the info.

I've sailed solo on both HAL & Princess recently;

A solo passenger pays gratuities & taxes for ONE on each line. The single supplement on each will be about 200% (paying double). Alaska is a HUGE seller, so expect no 'deals' for solo passengers.

Have fun!