Escape - Studio Experince

Even_keel

I haven't been on the Escape, but I have experienced NCLs studio cabins on the Breakaway. I absolutely loved the experience. Each night, we met at 6:00 and went over evening plans. If you prefer to dine solo, that is fine, but for nights you wanted to eat with others, there was always a group.

One really nice perk was that our solo coordinator was able to book us a table for on of the evening specialty show (it was a circ type show) for one of the evenings.

The cabin was very comfortable, with plenty of storage. The closets had sliding doors, the stool was also hidden storage, there were two under the bed baskets and cubby holes in the 'washroom' area. The only space that felt small in the room was the toilet, and let's face it, you probably aren't planning on spending much time there. ;)

The studio lounge was quite most of the time, and made for a handy meeting spot for any of the people you met. I also found that in spite of being a spring break trip, there was quite a variety of people travelling solo.

Here is a pic (sorry, it only let me put one in).

image.jpg.2f1b321a0b9d4e77e7b8e5165f11c72b.jpg

astrofreak's experiences matches mine on the Epic. The studios were great and access to the lounge was a real bonus. By far the best free coffee on the ship, and it was really nice being able to pop in to grab a few things for breakfast before venturing out on to the rest of the ship.

I didn't go on the daily meets after the first one, but those that did seemed to enjoy them and find them useful. A number of smaller groups formed and you'd come across them occasionally chatting, so if you want to meet others it is a good way of doing it. They seemed to have more trouble getting people together for meals in the Speciality restaurants, but I imagine the success of that varies cruise by cruise.

I don't think you'd regret giving them a try - they were nicer than the regular inside rooms that I saw. Don't be fooled by their supposedly smaller size - the layout is more efficient.

The studio itself is pretty much like it was on the Epic and *away class of ships. Probably some small adjustments but nothing big. The only thing I remember is that on the Escape they have the mood led lighting like on the Epic, which was missing on the *aways.

The Studio lounge itself I would rate second after the Epic one but I liked the design with the TV screens all around showing landscape pictures. Apart from that it is pretty much a waste of space.

Some pictures https://www.instagram.com/micm_/

On escape(first week of Jan 2016) everyday at the 6 pm meeting, he would make dinner reservations for us, reserve shows for whoever was interested the same night or next night and that's it.

So basically he reserved only dinner and shows for the evenings and nothing else.

Thanks for the replies [emoji4]

I was looking to see what kind of activities the studio coordinator had set up during the week? Day? Dinner? Evening?

On escape(first week of Jan 2016) everyday at the 6 pm meeting, he would make dinner reservations for us, reserve shows for whoever was interested the same night or next night and that's it.

So basically he reserved only dinner and shows for the evenings and nothing else.

Our solo host did exactly the same on Breakaway in December, just reserved dinner and shows.

This is my first cruise with NCL so I am not sure how things work. For example, on Celebrity bottled water is included in the booze package, but I read that it isn't on NCL's package. Regarding reservations made by the solo coordinator, does this person make the reservation based on space available? Should I make reservations prior to the cruise for restaurants and shows I am interested in or is it safe to wait until meeting with the coordinator? Any other tips are appreciated.

Water isn't included in the package, nor are soft drinks or things like tea and coffee.

The solo coordinator will have an agreement with the restaurants about making tables available for solo groups on certain days, which is why they'll always be early bookings.

It depends on how keen you are to get to some of the speciality restaurants as to whether you leave it to the coordinator's bookings. I didn't spot them going to all of them, and the timings didn't work for me due to shore excursions so I always did my own thing there. They definitely offered Moderno and Cirque on the Epic.

Shows would be fine to leave until the coordinator offers them up.

I found that the last night it as good time to book the "wildcard" type shows.

My script is to usually do the MDR with other solos the first few nights and then you can meet other people to perhaps join your later reservations.

My approximate script for my Escape trip (ballpark, I don't know the exact times goes as follows)

If you don't stay out later in the day on Nassau day its a good time to use one of your speciality meals or even the Supper club.

I would maybe do the main dning room nights #1 or even #2 to meet others- you might even find others who only want speciality restaurants and you can go that route.

In terms of booking shows- I would avoid the 7pm shows the first few nights- the time is much better spent meeting others.

I wanted to ask a question- not sure if anyone else has come accross this.

My last bookings really had no promos so it wasn't a concern for me.

This time around, I booked the Studio and got for $93 in service charges - two good promos- the Unlimited Beverage Package and the Specialty Dining Package which will give 4 meals (fine with me as some nights I would be doing in the MDR).

If I decide to upgrade and pay the fare difference around a week before, would I lose my original promos?

I am actually more inclined to go back to the studio for a few reasons-

I didn't really care to be spending time sitting isolated on my balcony and b) will have a pretty full slate with shows, excursions etc..

Thank you all for your replys. Guess I will have to read up on the drink package, didn't realize sodas and coffees aren't included too. Guess they should call it the ultimately limited drink package.:eek:

I think you also pay the 18% 'service charge' on the normal cost of the UDP and it is added to your onboard account. So you are not getting free drinks just as many drinks as you want up to $15 per drink for just over $9 per day.

I copied the terms and conditions below- it seems to include soda and juices as well. Although i don't drink much on cruises, it is a nice perk to have. It came to a $80.64 service charge for the free promo (along with $13.00 for the 4 meal specialty dining).

I am hesitant to call later to upgrade my room as I don't want to risk losing this promo- I hear different things from people.

I will say the Studio was more efficient than a normal inside i stayed in;

it is sleaker and has hardwood floors. The bathroom is in its own enclosure.

On my Epic trip I was usually out of the room by 8 or so at the latest and would usually just return to shower and change around 4 or so- there was so much to do that I didn't really miss the extra space.

My thought over time was I'd rather be outside somewhere on the ship than outside on my balcony when I did get one.

Norwegian's Ultimate Beverage Package includes a variety of spirits, cocktails, wines by the glass and bottled or draft beer up to and including $15 and unlimited fountain soda and juices at all bars, lounges, restaurants and the Great Stirrup Cay. A 20% discount will be applied to all bottles of wine purchased on board.

A sticker will be placed on your guest key card to identify that you have purchased this package.

The Ultimate Beverage Package does not include room service, package sales, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated Super Premium brands (subject to change), bottled wine, mini bar purchases, bottled water, fresh squeezed juices, select Lavazza coffee beverages, energy drinks, vending machines, wine stations or spirits, cocktails, draft or bottled beer and glasses of wine over $15. One (1) beverage per person per transaction. Package can be used in all restaurants, lounges, bars and Great Stirrup Cay. Any items over $15 will receive an $15 discount and the guest will be charged the difference to their account.

An 18% gratuity and beverage service charge will be added to all package purchases; your check may reflect applicable VAT and/or taxes for certain ports or itineraries. Packages must be purchased by all qualifying individuals residing in the stateroom or additional staterooms under the same method of payment for the entire length of the cruise. Packages may not be shared and are non-transferable and non-refundable. You must be at least 21 years of age to purchase any alcoholic package and to consume alcohol. See the terms of our guest alcohol policy. Other terms and conditions may apply. This package is not available for purchase on charters, sailings that are two (2) days or less and Pride of America. Guests purchasing this package on board during the dates of March 1st through April 15th will only be able to purchase on embarkation day.

• 3 weeks later...
I wanted to ask a question- not sure if anyone else has come accross this.

My last bookings really had no promos so it wasn't a concern for me.

This time around, I booked the Studio and got for $93 in service charges - two good promos- the Unlimited Beverage Package and the Specialty Dining Package which will give 4 meals (fine with me as some nights I would be doing in the MDR).

If I decide to upgrade and pay the fare difference around a week before, would I lose my original promos?

I am actually more inclined to go back to the studio for a few reasons-

I didn't really care to be spending time sitting isolated on my balcony and b) will have a pretty full slate with shows, excursions etc..

Howard, i believe you will lose your promos. Thats what my PCC told me, but i was looking to return to a balcony after payihg for a mini suite upgrade. So, maybe you dont if you trade up......but i think u lose the petks. i hate these new rules!

Howard, i believe you will lose your promos. Thats what my PCC told me, but i was looking to return to a balcony after payihg for a mini suite upgrade. So, maybe you dont if you trade up......but i think u lose the petks. i hate these new rules!

In that case I will likely keep the studio, but was informed by a few on my roll call that the week I am going is higher demand and won't have the space available that was present in mid September/October.

Plus, I found despite having a balcony I had no desire to spend anytime in the room whatsoever-but I'll see what happens

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you all for your replys. Guess I will have to read up on the drink package, didn't realize sodas and coffees aren't included too. Guess they should call it the ultimately limited drink package.:eek:

coffee tea, water, milk, hot chocolate and juices (in the morning) and lemonade/iced tea (the rest of the day) are available in the buffet for free for everyone and does not require a drink package. You are permitted to bring cases of pop on board as well. Buffet is open from 0630am-1130pm.

• 2 weeks later...

I LOVED my Studio cabin on the Norwegian Escape and the studio lounge too. I did not feel cramped in the cabin. At first, I panicked about where I was going to put all my things when I unpacked, but I found that there was plenty of built-in space. There were plenty of different lighting options to make up for no natural light. I slept like a baby every night since it was rather dark (there are a couple of small blue lights and the phone that stay on all the time so that you won't be totally in the dark if you wake up).

I also loved the Studio lounge. Only place to get a decent coffee on the boat and so close by. They also had pastries and such, ice water and juice...all part of the food package with no extra charge. There was a wine machine with a charge of $7.95 per glass and not on the UBP. The location of the lounge is far, far more convenient than going to 16 for a beverage.

We met at 6 p.m. to hear about the plans for the evening if we wanted to participate. The social director could get us in past the lines in the dining room and with the same privileges for seating as the Haven guests in shows (i.e., first couple of rows). I met about 20 great people through the program.

I can't say enough good about it! I'd go again in a heartbeat!

I did the studio on the breakaway and loved it, too. I rarely spend time in my room (although recently experienced my first balcony and REALLY enjoyed it). The coffee was a nice perk and I met some nice people that I hung out with a little poolside and at shows. I had the 7 night specialty dining and didn't really eat with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I did the studio on the breakaway and loved it, too. I rarely spend time in my room (although recently experienced my first balcony and REALLY enjoyed it). The coffee was a nice perk and I met some nice people that I hung out with a little poolside and at shows. I had the 7 night specialty dining and didn't really eat with them.

Did other solos have the dining package as well? On my past cruises i only did 1 specialty meal but now have 4 meals as a promo. Sometimes its nice to be done dinner quicker/earlier and that was one of the things i liked about Cagneys and LaCucina

Did other solos have the dining package as well? On my past cruises i only did 1 specialty meal but now have 4 meals as a promo. Sometimes its nice to be done dinner quicker/earlier and that was one of the things i liked about Cagneys and LaCucina

No. That's why I didn't really eat with them. I don't mind eating on my own, which is why going solo works well for me.

I had purchased the dining package before studios were eligible for promos-- it may be different now.

Edited by denatravels