The list of drinks included in UBP

mw_1970

I have been following this Ubp and I have one question any help would be greatly appreciated !

My mother is in a different room single occupant and we are in our own room as well she paid for the trip as a Christmas present . I plan to put mine and the gfs room on my credit card and my mom plans to put her room on hers. Now if my mom wanted to get the UBP for just herself could she or are we forced to all get it even though its under separate cards? Thank you in advance.

Edited by cdncruiser84

If we are 4 cabins traveling together BUT have our own credit cards on file and

have OBC in each cabin (3) that want to purchase the package, could we do this even though we all booked together and one credit card paid for all four cabins?

Thank you very much.

Recent experience on the Star:

1. Embarkation day...not that well advertised (I expect on purpose given it's so new), at the table with the soda and wine package sign up.

2. Very angry man who thought he could get the UBP for him and the soda package for wife. Stated she couldn't drink because she has cancer and is on meds. Staff said they can't do this and got a manager to talk to the passenger. Manager (not officer level) did not handle it particularly well, said they'd need to see a medical form stating she couldn't drink. I understood his frustration. Said he "nobody told him this when he booked his cruise." In all fairness, the program probably wasn't even started then and it seems a random thing for a travel agent to bring up unless specifically asked.

TIP to passengers: if you are in this situation, consider a Drs. note stating the person cannot drink alcohol (for whatever reason..meds, intollerance) and maybe that will help.

TIP to travel agents and NCL: Make sure it's clear that everyone in the cabin of legal drinking age must buy the package in all promo materials.

3. Friends did the UBP. One wanted a Jameson shot for her Guiness and they couldn't serve it to her because that was a "complex" drink (over the $10, I guess). Poor bar staff hated to deliver that news. She also wanted to buy two others a shot of Jameson, but the bar staff had to get special permission. She could buy a shot of something NOT on the UBP list (e.g., Glenlivet), but it was problematic to buy someone else something that WAS on the list.

4. The list was not provided to them when they purchased to UBP. Just a display copy at the table when they purchased. This caused a lot of headaches that could've easily been prevented if they were provided with the list. Everyone was polite about it (including my friends), but it was a bit of a hassle to figure it all out, especially when ordering drinks in a noisy venue with servers that have English as a second language.

5. We did the four bottle mid-level wine package. Had zero problems. Was able to get the wine bottle in any venue and take unfinished wine with us. Could share it with others. Very economical for wine drinkers. The Zinfandel wasn't my favorite Zin, but the Cab and Merlot were fine.

6. We reviewed our bill and considered if the UBP would've been worth it for us. We drank MOSTLY beer (and a lot of it), with a few martinis, a few drinks of the day and a few regular mixed drinks. Plus the four bottles of wine. It would've been close, but we still would've spent more with two UBPs. And lord knows we didn't need to drink any more!

I would consider it for myself, but my husband doesn't really drink. At most he might have a beer or two but that is basically it.

Almost thinking we will move our guests around in the cabin so that on paper my sister and I are in the same cabin and move my husband and her husband together? Her hubby doesn't really drink either. That way we would only have to buy 2 and not 4????

So for $700 per couple it isn't worth it, I can't drink that much by myself. Too bad they did it that way. He also isn't going to drink that much in the way of soda and juices.

Early reports the answer is no.

Sent from my iPhone - Jim

Our experience last week was no. Basically for cocktails it amounts to single alcohol with one mixer that aren't blended or shaken (e.g., a rum & coke). But some have reported slightly different results. Ask a lot of questions before signing up and expect to have some confused bartenders/servers if you are sailing soon. Get the f&b manager involved if you need to, just be patient.

Edited by weltek

If it doesn't include actual mixed drinks, then it isn't worth it at all. I don't drink things like rum and coke. So guess I will stick to just ordering my drinks and paying as I go. Otherwise it would be a huge waste of my money.

I wouldn't waste any sleep over not getting it. You really need to drink most of the day, every day to make it worth it since the priciest drinks aren't included. And it's less of a headache to "order as you go" since you don't have to worry about "am I drinking something that's covered in my package?" There are a lot of happy hours (evening and late night) for martini and manhattan discounts on most ships.

I think they have some work to do on refining the package, marketing and training staff. Right now it's almost too complicated. I almost wish they'd just charge $20 more per day and include anything. Market it to the "complex" or high end drink consumers. $70/day if you want to work you way through the martini and specialty menu a few times seems reasonable. :-)

Well, I am not a happy camper. Just booked the 3/4/13 Gem and was hoping to get the UBP. Now, they say they won't offer it between 3/1 and sometime in April cuz its 'spring break". Since when is the first week of March spring break???? If it was spring break I wouldn't be going on this cruise!!!:cool:

Now, I am forced to bring my Rum Runners out of retirement!!!

Hey you! I'm going on the Epic April 6. Glad to see you booked this cruise...I haven't checked that email account for a while. I'm also bummed the spring break cruises are excluded. I would've thought the week after the week after Easter would put me in the clear!

Hey you! I'm going on the Epic April 6. Glad to see you booked this cruise...I haven't checked that email account for a while. I'm also bummed the spring break cruises are excluded. I would've thought the week after the week after Easter would put me in the clear!

HI, Yes we booked and I am holding you responsible for us having a good time!!!;) JK, one thing Margo and I know how to do is have a good time on a cruise and I have the bar bills to prove it!

We have 4 friends coming with us, two newbies that my wife works wife and some friends we met on the Silhoutte in 2011 that luv NCL. We will have tons of fun. Thanks so much for helping us make the decision.

We're also going to spend Sat/Sun in Manhatten as the cruise leaves on a Monday and my wife, believe it or not, has never visited NYC. So, we're gonna do some cheesy touristy stuff before the cruise.

Be Cool!

Still the International Traveler of renown??

I understand that beers (up to $5.50) and wine by the glass (up to $10) are included, but the deciding factor for me will be if frozen drinks (such as pina colada, miami vice, etc) and martinis are included in the drink package.

Does anyone know if they are included on the Epic?? How would I check before we sail so that I can decide if I should bring bottles of wine on board myself instead of purchasing the drink package on board?

Thanks.

Someone had posted the actual document of what is included and not included on another thread. It clearly states well and call drinks not exceeding $6.25. Well that virtually excludes all cocktails unless you are just going to drink straight liquor with no mixers. I just called NCL to try

to see if any details of this package has changed since there are so many discrepancies posted. Unbelievably the agent had no clue about this package she stated the only package they have is for groups and proceeded to give me the details on that package. What a shame NCL.

That hopefully can't be right that all you can get is a cheapie cocktail for 6, while one can get a glass of wine for 10....

The package should be any drink up to a decent dollar limit (like not a limit a quarter below a fun margarita or creative mixed drink not involving super premiums), including coffee and juices, etc.

The package should aim to simplify, not peeve people off.

Likewise, the soda package (as for my kids) should not just be sodas, which are increasingly criticized, but should include milk, juices, and other healthy choices.

NCL execs: ask yourselves: what drink packages would you want for you and your kids?

I am reallly surprised at how expensive the NCL package is. We were on the Costa Mediterannea at Christmas and in pound sterling terms, their AI package worked out at £12.50 per day each, which was incredible value considering a glass of wine is around $8.00 plus service charge. We were ordering singapore slings, prosecco, large bottles of water, juice and capuccinos and it was great to have the receipts with $0.00 on it!

I am reallly surprised at how expensive the NCL package is. We were on the Costa Mediterannea at Christmas and in pound sterling terms, their AI package worked out at £12.50 per day each, which was incredible value considering a glass of wine is around $8.00 plus service charge. We were ordering singapore slings, prosecco, large bottles of water, juice and capuccinos and it was great to have the receipts with $0.00 on it!

I'm not sure how long that Costa has had their package. But the one thing you may want to consider is NCL's is just on a trial. It could go up, it could go down, it could disappear altogether.

hi all

i spoke to ncl last friday regarding paying for my wife for the drinks

package, my wife is unable to drink alcohol due to meds i was told that if

we have a letter from doctor stating this my wife wont have to pay and i

can get the package for myself, a huge saving on a 9 night cruise.

I will let you know how it goes when back from cruise tho not until 30th march.

clive