What if....

zonabelle

you had to honestly answer "yes" to one of the questions asked on the health screening/questionnaire that you complete during check-in at the port? If you had a fever or diarrhea or whatever? If Carnival denied you boarding, would they reimburse you or give you credit for a future cruise or would you just be SOL? I was just wondering how awful that would be and what would happen...

I think most people would NOT answer honestly....

Imagine, you've planned your cruise for 6 months or longer and carefully paid for it, packed your best new clothes, have your excursions planned - then you come down with the FLU the day before. I can't think of anyone who would stay home sick...most would wing it on check in, lay in their cabin for a day or two, then enjoy the rest of the time.

Don't think they reimburse you unless you have travel insurance, but just guessing on that.

i wouldnt lie. when im sick (which is hardly ever) i want to be in the comfort of my own HOME. not cooped up in a cabin room unable to do anything, and not put other people at risk of getting sick and having a "breakout"

i have friends who took a family cruise 2 years ago. they all had the flu, and they said it was the most miserable, longest 7 days ever! they said looking back, they wish they would have canceled. it wasnt worth going!

LOL, morning of one of my cruises I woke up with the worst sinus infection of my life :(. Swollen face, stopped up head and a cough due the drainage. I knew they would not let me on board like that so off to one of those urgent care centers, got a steroid shot and some decongestants, by 3 oclock I was ready to board. Had a great trip!

I admit I am one of the ones who did not tell the truth on the medical questionnaire in 08. My DD, then 4, woke my son up in the middle of the night (we were in a hotel) by getting sick. I gave her 1/2 of a Phenergan, which luckily I ALWAYS have due to my medical history. She woke up once before we boarded and I kept it in her system the entire day. She slept through the boarding procedures and her brother had to carry her through the metal detector.

I had the sleeping child in my arms all through the ship while he drug around the suitcase, backpack and my pocketbook. She woke up fine the next morning, happy and ready to go play with Mickey. As my son, who slept in the bed with her for 2 nights never got sick, I honestly think it was something she ate on the way down to FLA.

LOL, morning of one of my cruises I woke up with the worst sinus infection of my life :(. Swollen face, stopped up head and a cough due the drainage. I knew they would not let me on board like that so off to one of those urgent care centers, got a steroid shot and some decongestants, by 3 oclock I was ready to board. Had a great trip!

I have the same problem with my sinuses and allergies. I will admit that I have gotten on a boat before while on allergy meds...But never with a fever!

I always have something with me to take, mainly because the littlest thing can set my allergies off.

So I guess you can say I have gotten on the boat not feeling well, but not with the symptoms they describe.

I guess that is a time you would want insurance. I always buy insurance but I wondered if it was Carnival refusing to allow you to board right there at the port if they would allow you to reschedule in the future.

It can sometimes be hard to know if you are going to feel just fine the next day or if you are going to be much sicker. It looks like many people would just not be honest on the health screening.

Luckily I did not have to make that decision but I came close. We flew in to LA 2 days early. My sis and I had upgraded to first class and I felt pretty awful. Buried my head in my sister's jacket when I had to cough. I had been to doc and he cleared me to fly.

We stayed first night at hotel to go to The Price is Right. Family let me sleep as they took turns " in line". By that evening we moved to San Pedro hotel. At dinner I knew I turned the corner as I had an appetite for Mex food. Slept well and woke up fine.

I was so lucky I did not have to decide. Because I am a rule follower I expect I would have said Yes if I thought thst was true.

This was only a weekend cruise but it was for my cousin's 50th birthday and we were a large group.

I'm not sure what criteria they use to actually deny boarding. On a cruise to Alaska, my mother in law went up to check in obviously ill and having answered 'yes' to the various health questions that applied to her. She was taken to be examined by some sort of health professional, but ultimately allowed to board

On the ship she was asked to stay in her cabin for 24 hours, following which she was re-examined by the ship's medical staff. She was cleared to move about the ship after this even though she felt only marginally better. She stayed in the cabin another day and then felt well enough to mingle with the other passengers.

So, I wonder, since my mother in law was so clearly ill at check in, if you have to be actively vomiting, changing your adult diapers in line, or something equally disgusting before they deny boarding. Seems like it is a bit of a crap shoot (pun intended).

I think if they would let you re-schedule with no penalty, similar to canceling hotel reservations, you would find that there would be less people lieing on the medical form (I have not) You would not see the norovirus that we do see. After spending thousands of dollars for the vacation people will lie as to not be out the money. Not everyone takes out the insurance. I usually don't.

you had to honestly answer "yes" to one of the questions asked on the health screening/questionnaire that you complete during check-in at the port? If you had a fever or diarrhea or whatever? If Carnival denied you boarding, would they reimburse you or give you credit for a future cruise or would you just be SOL? I was just wondering how awful that would be and what would happen...

Being that you end up SOL if you answer honestly, one should NEVER answer yes.

At check in for a RCCL cruise, the questionnaire asked if you'd been around anyone who was ill. It was February, I am a high school teacher during flu season and I had been surrounded by germy kids!! I was honest and said yes. (I wasn't sick!) We got pulled out of line, our friends boarded and I waited and waited for the ship's medical staff to take my temp and further question me. Well over an hour later, we were finally allowed to board with strict instructions to report to ship's doctor if I became ill. Lesson learned -- lie!

Being that you end up SOL if you answer honestly, one should NEVER answer yes.

And someone answers dishonestly and 500 other cruisers get sick from noro, or the flu, or whatever, and Carnival is again all over the news because one sick cruiser didn't buy insurance and lied to get on board.

And someone answers dishonestly and 500 other cruisers get sick from noro, or the flu, or whatever, and Carnival is again all over the news because one sick cruiser didn't buy insurance and lied to get on board.

again, we need a "like" button on here!

again, we need a "like" button on here!

so, some folks believe it okay to infect any number of other boarding passengers [as long as they themselves are not inconvenienced!],

and lie to both carnival and the travel insurance company.

why bother even dealing with such?

and lie to both carnival and the travel insurance company.

why bother even dealing with such?

So what would your choice be with those who lie? We all know there are those who lie to not lose their money because "It's my vacation and I spent x many dollars and I didn't buy insurance and I WILL CRUISE". If Carnival doesn't give them the refund, someone on here will say call again until you get the answer you want.

There are those who lie for anything/everything and the rest of us pay for it one way or the other.

Edited by katiel53

So what would your choice be with those who lie? We all know there are those who lie to not lose their money because "It's my vacation and I spent x many dollars and I didn't buy insurance and I WILL CRUISE". If Carnival doesn't give them the refund, someone on here will say call again until you get the answer you want.

There are those who lie for anything/everything and the rest of us pay for it one way or the other.

do not mind dealing with those who lie, send me a PM. I have some very interesting structures in NYC to sell you.

Seriously, "What would my choice be?" To not interact with them for ANYTHING - sorry if you do not like that, but remember YOU asked for MY choice.

I have the same problem with my sinuses and allergies. I will admit that I have gotten on a boat before while on allergy meds...But never with a fever!

I always have something with me to take, mainly because the littlest thing can set my allergies off.

So I guess you can say I have gotten on the boat not feeling well, but not with the symptoms they describe.

I used to be that way, being all stuffed every day. Then 3 months ago I gave up dairy and started to work out 5 times a week. Since then I get stuffed up once every two weeks at the most and that it is usually when I am cheating and eating dairy (blue cheese is my poison). The next day I can see that I have gotten puffy in the face and it reminds me to avoid dairy until I get the craving again. Also I have asthma and it has gotten much better since I gave up dairy.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

I honestly am not sure what I would do, but having insurance would not necessarily solve the whole problem. After breaking my arm at the end of the 1st leg of a b2b, I was unable to continue. Had no trouble getting insurance to kick in for my losses, but they obviously did not cover my husband's lost trip, and I couldn't get home without him, so he couldn't continue without me. Also had high airfare costs involved.

We all know what the right thing to do is, but how many of us would do it?

I honestly am not sure what I would do, but having insurance would not necessarily solve the whole problem. After breaking my arm at the end of the 1st leg of a b2b, I was unable to continue. Had no trouble getting insurance to kick in for my losses, but they obviously did not cover my husband's lost trip, and I couldn't get home without him, so he couldn't continue without me. Also had high airfare costs involved.

We all know what the right thing to do is, but how many of us would do it?

Breaking an arm on a cruise is terrible for the person involved, but it poses no risks to other pax.

Someone with noro does.

Quarrantine them to their cabin if they lied their way on board.

do not mind dealing with those who lie, send me a PM. I have some very interesting structures in NYC to sell you.

Seriously, "What would my choice be?" To not interact with them for ANYTHING - sorry if you do not like that, but remember YOU asked for MY choice.

One paragraph you want to deal with them and ask them to send you a PM.

The next you say you won't interact with them.

Confused much?:confused::confused::confused::confused:

One paragraph you want to deal with them and ask them to send you a PM.

The next you say you won't interact with them.

Confused much?:confused::confused::confused::confused:

OMG! Don't understand sarcasm? First sentence was a joke, followed by "seriously......." stating true intent.

Maybe you want to buy a bridge too? Perhaps we shouldn't expect much from a KMart poster, eh?

Edited by evandbob

OMG! Don't understand sarcasm? First sentence was a joke, followed by "seriously......." stating true intent.

Maybe you want to buy a bridge too? Perhaps we shouldn't expect much from a KMart poster, eh?

Sure, how much for the bridge?