Help me choose between these 2 NY area hotels

Eeyoregon

We are 4 friends flying into Newark from Seattle.

We are sailing on the Breakaway.

We need one room for two nights.

We are all 1st timers to the New York area = will be cramming in as much of the touristy type activities that we can into 48 hours.

Like everyone else, budget is top priority, hence why we're doing one room.

If anyone has stayed at or is familiar with either of these two properties, please comment as to why or why not and give any tips, personal experiences, etc. Looking for ease of sight seeing as well as getting to the port on embarkation day.

1.) Best Western Convention Center Hotel

522 W 38th St

New York, New York

2.) Best Western Plaza Hotel

3934 21st St

Long Island, NY

Thank you in advance for your help!

Gina

You don't want to stay at the second hotel...it's out of your way...it's not near where you want to be. Not easy to get to from EWR, and not in Manhattan so not that convenient for sightseeing or getting to the cruise pier.

Edited by njhorseman

We are 4 friends flying into Newark from Seattle.

We are sailing on the Breakaway.

We need one room for two nights.

We are all 1st timers to the New York area = will be cramming in as much of the touristy type activities that we can into 48 hours.

Like everyone else, budget is top priority, hence why we're doing one room.

If anyone has stayed at or is familiar with either of these two properties, please comment as to why or why not and give any tips, personal experiences, etc. Looking for ease of sight seeing as well as getting to the port on embarkation day.

1.) Best Western Convention Center Hotel

522 W 38th St

New York, New York

2.) Best Western Plaza Hotel

3934 21st St

Long Island, NY

Thank you in advance for your help!

Gina

stay in Manhattan on West 38th St. You do not want to stay in long island city! It isn't Long Island. It is in Queens County and not the nicest section. In manhattan so much to see with many restaurant choices. We will be sailing on the breakaway on 8/9.

Edited by Cruise a holic

Of the two, the Convention Center hotel. Most of the "first timer" sites are in Manhattan.

I'm going to sound like Carol for a moment: What are your actual dates and budget? There's nothing "wrong" with that location, but I'm not sure it would be my first choice. But you definitely don't want to be in Queens and tour Manhattan!

Of the two, the Convention Center hotel. Most of the "first timer" sites are in Manhattan.

I'm going to sound like Carol for a moment: What are your actual dates and budget? There's nothing "wrong" with that location, but I'm not sure it would be my first choice. But you definitely don't want to be in Queens and tour Manhattan!

October 23-25. Trying to keep it under $350 a night which is proving extremely difficult, except for the two above mentioned Best Westerns. Since we can't use any auction sights, it poses a bit of a challenge as it seems the best deals come off those sites.

Gina

since you are coming into newark try checking out hotels on the jersey city nj waterfront such as the doubltree by hilton hotel and suites jersey city. its an easy train ride (Path train) to nyc from there for sightseeing and you can take a car service to the port for your cruise. you might find better prices there.

October 23-25. Trying to keep it under $350 a night which is proving extremely difficult, except for the two above mentioned Best Westerns. Since we can't use any auction sights, it poses a bit of a challenge as it seems the best deals come off those sites.

Gina

You can use Hotwire with 4 people.

OP, I just did a quick mobile lookup for your 2 nights - I see a few in midtown Manhattan area that's coming in under your $350/nightly budget, before taxes & fees, etc. under the Hilton brand - Hampton Inns @ W. 35 Street/Empire State Building area, prepaid rate is $323 for 4 adults, full hot breakfast included & free WiFi. That's a block away from Macy's and close enough for walking from/to the Amtrak/NJ Transit & Path station, as long as you can manage luggage & bags - mid/late October is nice, cool & comfortable in our city - the area is perfectly safe especially 4 of you walking together.

AAA rate is 100% refundable & a little higher, which you can book to lock in the deal for now, while continue to shop for better/last minute specials on Hotwire, etc. Time Square is easy walking distance so you will be saving money avoiding even subways & buses - and it's 1/2 "click" or better than the average Best Western, the one you are looking at is further West toward the Hudson River, and much longer walk & not as desirable if you want to max out your 48 hours.

Continue to use discount sites including HW to shop around for better deals for your lodging.

Unless 4 of you have lots of luggage, all will fit into a full-size yellow taxi or growing fleets of minivans/suv with better capacity, so all 4 will fit for a quick 15 minutes ride to the pier, MCT @ W. 48th Street & 12th Avenue, for about $15 metered fare & tips. We've been on the BA twice & loved it - have a great time cruising.

Edited by mking8288

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I would stay in Manhattan. It will save you wear and tear on your body and mind (less clutter trying to coordinate transportation in and out of Manhattan). Plus, you can wander out at night and see the city all lit up. Lots of cafe's, and food choices available 24/7.

You could go over to the Brooklyn promenade (by subway) after dark and see the entire downtown area of Manhattan twinkling with lights as well as the Brooklyn Bridge. It's magical.

You can even walk the Brooklyn bridge at night.

And if you think Times square is exciting during the day, try it at night!

Here is a website from the Huffington post you might want to read

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/travelzoo/new-york-by-night-top-lat_b_5656396.html