Greece in August

Suds70

Wish I could predict the future. Can only tell you what happened in the past.

A strike prevented us from getting into the Acropolis until late in the afternoon. Ticket booths were closed were closed until noon and by the time we got in, the place was mobbed.

The only thing I can suggest is plan on being flexible and have options. If the city is shut down, hire a taxi to take you out into the countryside.

With all the problems in Greece right now how will this effect tourism?

I wouldn't go there, if you do I'd definitely stick to the tourist areas and not stray too far into unknown areas. Of course, by August maybe they'll have figured out their finances and it won't be an issue.

With all the problems in Greece right now how will this effect tourism?

We are going to find out in 2 weeks when we cruise out of Venice. As the other poster said we plan to be flexible and do sight seeing on our own. Regards, John

The current advise to tourists in Europe that have trips planned is to take any cash you may need. The banking and exchange system is not functioning.

The advise to plan on cash only has been around since May and they have not really come with further advice than that yet.

It is said to be very calm on the islands where most tourists visit. The main problems are found in the Athens area.

The tourist organizations are saying that difficulties will depend on the type of trip one has planned and their need to have cash.

Financial advisors have went as far to recommend to Europeans to currently not book travel to Greece. Some have went quite far and said just how bad it could get.

There is too much uncertainly to predict how this could play out. It could get quite severe in the Athens area if things progress as they are at the moment.

Another take on this from the financial side is that if the crisis escalates and the euro weakens, the dollar will strengthen in the entire Eurozone.

If you haven't already, check out the Greece port boards where there is a poster from Greece with updates (Nick) as well as this http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189398-i192-k8593900-o220-Greek_debt_deal_referendum_plz_start_from_here-Greece.html

It seems other than the ATM issues, all is fine right now. Of course this could change, but as the news shows, any place could change at anytime. I assume you have already booked and paid (as have I for an upcoming cruise which includes Turkey and Greece) ... So just watch the reports on cc and tripadvisor, but I don't plan to worry much. I tend to think often the news reports are exaggerated.

Financial advisors have went as far to recommend to Europeans to currently not book travel to Greece. Some have went quite far and said just how bad it could get.

Could you possibly provide a link to this advice? I can't find it and haven't heard of any financial advisors saying for us Europeans not to book travel to Greece.

I wouldn't go there, if you do I'd definitely stick to the tourist areas and not stray too far into unknown areas. Of course, by August maybe they'll have figured out their finances and it won't be an issue.

I would not go there at all.

Why?

The current advise to tourists in Europe that have trips planned is to take any cash you may need. The banking and exchange system is not functioning.

Perhaps it's a language misunderstanding but why would you be taking advice from "financial advisors" on whether or not to travel to Greece?

Hi all! I live in an Athens suburb and I am affected by all of this going on here. Right now, people can get 50 - 60 Euros only from ATMs. This cash has the potential to dry up at any moment. Unfortunately for me, I do not have an ATM card, so my money dried up two days ago :p Anyway, what does this mean for the cruise traveller:

Get your Euros from an ATM at your departure port or another port stop before coming to Greece.

That's about it.

No matter what the situation here, we have a lot of pick-pockets. I had my wallet taken from my purse once, so now I hold on to my purse better. I haven't had any problems since and I am on public transportation 7 days a week. Be cautious and there won't be any problems.

Demonstrations are peaceful now. They also have been taking place in the evening, when most cruise passengers will have returned to the ships.

Greece in August? Worry more about staying hydrated! Let me put it this way, when I visit Florida in August, I do not think it is all that hot ;)

Have a great time! Don't worry about things and remember, nearly all Greeks know at least basic English :D

It's a fun place.

If you haven't already, check out the Greece port boards where there is a poster from Greece with updates (Nick) as well as this http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189398-i192-k8593900-o220-Greek_debt_deal_referendum_plz_start_from_here-Greece.html

It seems other than the ATM issues, all is fine right now. Of course this could change, but as the news shows, any place could change at anytime. I assume you have already booked and paid (as have I for an upcoming cruise which includes Turkey and Greece) ... So just watch the reports on cc and tripadvisor, but I don't plan to worry much. I tend to think often the news reports are exaggerated.

1st I'd like to say I hope you have a very happy, fun, safe trip.:)'

But your comment about 'exaggerated' have me writing you to safe the old saying, 'better safe then sorry'!

If Greeks are limited to $67. a day, while foreigners are not limited, what do you think will happen if people need money? look for the foreigners and take it!

And finally, I'd think those poor vacationers killed on that beach in Tunisia most likely thought the same as you just before,,,,.

1st I'd like to say I hope you have a very happy, fun, safe trip.:)'

But your comment about 'exaggerated' have me writing you to safe the old saying, 'better safe then sorry'!

If Greeks are limited to $67. a day, while foreigners are not limited, what do you think will happen if people need money? look for the foreigners and take it!

And finally, I'd think those poor vacationers killed on that beach in Tunisia most likely thought the same as you just before,,,,.

What an insult to those who lost their lives in Tunisia. How does the terrorist attack there relate to the Greek financial crisis? How can you use them as a comparison? What do you mean 'just before,,,,'?

Could you possibly provide a link to this advice? I can't find it and haven't heard of any financial advisors saying for us Europeans not to book travel to Greece.

I read quite a great deal of media in Swedish, Spanish and Italian. The general consensus has been the travel industry saying, not really a problem and the financial advisors recommending not to travel, unless already booked.

It seems the posters on the ground are provided good current information though.

I guess you can translate the Swedish if you are interested.

http://www.vagabond.se/artiklar/nyheter/20150629/experter-darfor-ska-du-inte-aka-till-grekland-just-nu

I read quite a great deal of media in Swedish, Spanish and Italian. The general consensus has been the travel industry saying, not really a problem and the financial advisors recommending not to travel, unless already booked.

It seems the posters on the ground are provided good current information though.

I guess you can translate the Swedish if you are interested.

http://www.vagabond.se/artiklar/nyheter/20150629/experter-darfor-ska-du-inte-aka-till-grekland-just-nu

Thanks for the link but I'll go by the UK travel industry publications that I receive as part of my job as a business travel consultant, which as yet, I haven't read anything about not travelling to Greece.

Perhaps it's a language misunderstanding but why would you be taking advice from "financial advisors" on whether or not to travel to Greece?

I think the financial analysts know the sort of things that could start happening depending on the situation. They are more able to predict the functioning of the banking and finance sector which is crucial to maintain services in the region. If there is a collapse this would have a chain reaction among all service industries.

They fear that the vendors will not want to continue to accept payment by card as they will not have a guarantee of payment in the future for the services they provide to tourists.

Suppliers of goods will start not selling to the region as they will fear payment in devalued currency and will demand pre-payment and deliveries will be disrupted. If the wholesalers do not have capital they will not be able to guarantee deliveries.

So, to some degree, I value their advice.