First time SS/Butler

cello44

Anyone else prefer not to have what I recognize is intended as a wonderful amenity? Butler is well intentioned, eager to please and no doubt superbly trained - no criticism of the person, only the concept. I just want to be left alone, and do things myself, not feel I have to butlersit, not have someone monitoring my every move, who will be offended if I can in room dining directly. Dreading the next 7 days.

You may be interested in an earlier discussion about this topic from around post #133 onwards where all colours of the discussion expressed a wide range of opinions ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2249318&page=7

Jeff

Sorry, but I disagree with almost all of these butler comments. On our numerous SS cruises we've never had a less than stellar butler. They were always there when wanted and never when not wanted. Always very unobtrusive. We've had numerous parties in our suites over the years and the butlers were a godsend. I think a lot of you folks just don't know how to use a butler. Our first butler on the Silver Spirit maiden crossing was a college graduate; had several years experience as a butler at the Burg in Dubai and was definitely not just a glorified steward, for example.

I don't travel in off season, would rather have a lesser cabin on say Silversea as opposed to a suite on Seabourn. Many years ago HAL, Cunard, Home Lines & French Lines all offered a quality experience just w/ just international flavors. HAL is more like a Holiday Inn at sea w/ thousands of passengers & a lower crew to passenger ratio.

I like to have more time in ports than just a few hours or over nite and to enjoy the native food , drinks & culture. Years ago we would sail out of NYC on the Bermuda cruise that docked in Front Street Hamilton - now we fly & stay at lovely hotels. The TA's on QE2 & France were top knotch. I spent 4 weeks in China & Hong Kong - wonderful - especially the REgent Hotel In Hong Kong. In Europe we do our research and enjoy returning - the Panamal Canal was special and South America is wonderul . I'll return to sea of course but more for relaxation and plan on a World cruise - but mainly just to sail completely around the globe.

I know these are different times but I'm mid 50's yo and plan on lots more travel.

When I travel now I have taken fewer cruise because of the decline in the product. The new corporate earnings structure of today keeps the profit/stock the priority as opposed to producing a first class experiencing - the cutbacks in menus & entertainment are good examples as noted here on these boars. We've found The four Seasons & Ritz Carlton Hotels to be maintain a good standard. When spending over $1,000+ per day I expect good service & quality food. Silversea is attractive and the Italian aspects I believe we would enjoy.

We are very fortunate to be living here in NYC also affords the abiltiy to experience world class restaurants, hotels, service & chefs - again not to everyone's taste but that's our standard - on land & sea.

Seabourn may be a good fit for many but we'll be spending our vacation $$$ elsewhere

Edited by Rotterdam

I don't travel in off season, would rather have a lesser cabin on say Silversea as opposed to a suite on Seabourn. Many years ago HAL, Cunard, Home Lines & French Lines all offered a quality experience just w/ just international flavors. HAL is more like a Holiday Inn at sea w/ thousands of passengers & a lower crew to passenger ratio.

I like to have more time in ports than just a few hours or over nite and to enjoy the native food , drinks & culture. Years ago we would sail out of NYC on the Bermuda cruise that docked in Front Street Hamilton - now we fly & stay at lovely hotels. The TA's on QE2 & France were top knotch. I spent 4 weeks in China & Hong Kong - wonderful - especially the REgent Hotel In Hong Kong. In Europe we do our research and enjoy returning - the Panamal Canal was special and South America is wonderul . I'll return to sea of course but more for relaxation and plan on a World cruise - but mainly just to sail completely around the globe.

I know these are different times but I'm mid 50's yo and plan on lots more travel.

When I travel now I have taken fewer cruise because of the decline in the product. The new corporate earnings structure of today keeps the profit/stock the priority as opposed to producing a first class experiencing - the cutbacks in menus & entertainment are good examples as noted here on these boars. We've found The four Seasons & Ritz Carlton Hotels to be maintain a good standard. When spending over $1,000+ per day I expect good service & quality food. Silversea is attractive and the Italian aspects I believe we would enjoy.

We are very fortunate to be living here in NYC also affords the abiltiy to experience world class restaurants, hotels, service & chefs - again not to everyone's taste but that's our standard - on land & sea.

Seabourn may be a good fit for many but we'll be spending our vacation $$$ elsewhere

Is this on the right board???