Leaving Spain in Barcelona

Friends recently returned from a land trip in Spain. On their return through Madrid airport they mentioned that people traveling together were put in separate lines and questioned (even her 18 year old son was separated). She was asked the usual (What brought you to Spain) but also asked how many children she had, what work she did (then had to explain what a housewife was), she added she was a volunteer and then was asked what exactly a volunteer did.

Is this the protocol with Barcelona airport security as well? We are traveling with a friend (58 years old) who has memory issues and I am concerned with her being separated from her husband and questioned.

Thanks!

I travel in and out of Spain frequently, in fact we have a home there, and have never been subjected to any questioning. Having said that, we are, at least today still part of the EU so in theory have open travel within the EU although we still have to show a passport when returning to the UK.

Whilst we never used to have to show a passport to enter Spain I have noticed that recently these have been checked.

I wonder if there was some sort of security alert which resulted in the extra questioning that day?

Perhaps a covering letter from her doctor detailing her memory issues would put your mind at rest in case she was questioned?

Regards Debbie

Thanks Debbie (Groovybusybee) for your reply. I thought the questioning was unusual so hopefully we will not encounter it. However I do think a letter from her doctor will be good to have. I will have to broach this subject with her husband.

It's not that unusual. If you live in the U.S. and are traveling out of Spain, they sometimes will ask additional questions. ex. What was the purpose of your travel? Where are you traveling to? Are you traveling alone?

It's all for security purposes.

My theory is if you live within the EU, and that is your destination, then you may not be asked questions.

Karyn

Unfortunately, the world has changed, and not for the better. In Tampa, Florida, my DH in I were at the airport and were stopped because they thought we were carrying drugs in my dog's carryon case. Being residents on the US didn't help at all. In fact, they separated our dog from us and put her and her case on a table. The case fell onto the floor with her in it and she yelped! They didn't want her to let us pick her up. They were very rude and treated all of us like we were criminals.

When I was in Italy last year, I was hand searched three different times, but at least they were nice about it. I don't know if a letter would help, but it is certainly worth a try. One never knows what can happen at airports, so it is better to take any and all precautions, knowing that it is what it is.

There is heightened security all over Europe these days. We have recently been questioned at the UK/France border getting on/off the Eurotunnel, whereas before we would have just waved us through. There are also far more thorough car/vehicle checks than before.

It does not concern me at all. I welcome the stricter security controls.

Friends recently returned from a land trip in Spain. On their return through Madrid airport they mentioned that people traveling together were put in separate lines and questioned (even her 18 year old son was separated). She was asked the usual (What brought you to Spain) but also asked how many children she had, what work she did (then had to explain what a housewife was), she added she was a volunteer and then was asked what exactly a volunteer did.

Is this the protocol with Barcelona airport security as well? We are traveling with a friend (58 years old) who has memory issues and I am concerned with her being separated from her husband and questioned.

Thanks!

For what it's worth, my mother and I were questioned extensively at Madrid airport, ( is it Barajas airport? Drawing a blank ) back in 1991. We were questioned at checkin and again at metal detector and once again in the area that one waits before actually boarding the aircraft

This was about a month after the Gulf War had broken out and there was quite a security presence thoughout the airport.

This past year in BARCELONA, no interrogation, no questions period

They just stared at us, stamped the passport and sent us on our way

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks!

My husband and I flew out of Barcelona last month to Atlanta and had no questioning, just showed passports.

One of the main reasons that AENA, the Spanish Airport authority increased the recommended airport arrival time to 3 hours prior to flight from 2 hours prior to flight last year was the potential for 'enhanced security' days.

The questioning and separation and questioning you are referring to does not happen at the initial airport security, but is at the gate.

The first questioning is prior to entering the airport check-in line and is the standard questioning that has been around for many years for all flights to the USA.

The second security point is normal airport security with the control of person and carry on prior to entering the 'air-side' area.

Non-Schengen passengers then have a passport control prior to entering that area of the terminal.

Then, only on days with 'enhanced' security in place, there is a team of agents at the gate. This can involve an extensive baggage search, a series of questions or in rare cases separation into a private screening area. These agents can even be American security agents.

One reason this is happening more at Madrid is that the airport is one of 9 European airports where US Homeland Security plan to have full pre-clearance facilities, where American agents will pre-check flights prior to departure.

http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/us-immigration-pre-clearance-is-extended-in-europe-north-asia-and-caribbean-but-at-what-cost-229961