Just booked AMA Blue Danube Discovery - August 2013

bobalink

"Double Savings on 2013 Danube River Cruises" with AMA Waterways.

We have been researching Danube River cruises for a few weeks. I was going to book the Romantic Danube on the AmaCerto, but I got a call from my travel agent on Friday. She told me that AMA was going to announce a promotion.

I received an email from AMA announcing the "Double Savings on 2013 Danube River Cruises" and decided to change my original plan and we booked the Blue Danube Discovery.

It is basically the same itinerary, just in reverse order. PLUS instead of a 12-day vacation, it is a 14-day tour AND we got an automatic upgrade. We will be on the AmaLyra.

I am now trying to decide if we will go with AMA for the Budapest and Prague extensions, or "do it ourselves". I think I will add some days on the front end to give us more time in Budapest. Also, will most likely add days on the end to give us extra time in Prague.

Would love to hear from others who have done this cruise who can offer helpful insights.

Agree that Prague and Budapest are easy to DIY. You can save a lot as well.

We discovered the Barcelo Old Town Praha last visit to Prague and are staying there in 5 weeks. We also booked more time with a private guide who really made our first visit even more wonderful.

We have booked our own transfers in both directions as well.

We had a fabulous cruise with AMA last year and are aboard AmaCerto next month. Can't wait!

"Double Savings on 2013 Danube River Cruises" with AMA Waterways.

We have been researching Danube River cruises for a few weeks. I was going to book the Romantic Danube on the AmaCerto, but I got a call from my travel agent on Friday. She told me that AMA was going to announce a promotion.

I received an email from AMA announcing the "Double Savings on 2013 Danube River Cruises" and decided to change my original plan and we booked the Blue Danube Discovery.

It is basically the same itinerary, just in reverse order. PLUS instead of a 12-day vacation, it is a 14-day tour AND we got an automatic upgrade. We will be on the AmaLyra.

I am now trying to decide if we will go with AMA for the Budapest and Prague extensions, or "do it ourselves". I think I will add some days on the front end to give us more time in Budapest. Also, will most likely add days on the end to give us extra time in Prague.

Would love to hear from others who have done this cruise who can offer helpful insights.

We're looking at an AMA in October of 2013, so I appreciate the "heads up". We're going to do Budapest and Prague on our own. I don't see the promotion on the website.

Caviargirl, are you willing to share the name of your guide in Prague?

We're looking at an AMA in October of 2013, so I appreciate the "heads up". We're going to do Budapest and Prague on our own. I don't see the promotion on the website.

Hi 5326jan,

I received an email from AMA announcing the promotion, and I didn't see it on their website, either.

Try this link:

http://clients.criticalimpact.com/vm.cfm?i=55e8c7caef87aeb6&jid=6e62e89ebd2396c63947229f28c3afba

Hope you are able to take advantage of the promotion!

Caviargirl, are you willing to share the name of your guide in Prague?

Of course!

Andrea Řezníčková Andrejka2002@seznam.cz

Andrea is a delight! She really enhanced our experience.

Agree that Prague and Budapest are easy to DIY. You can save a lot as well.

We discovered the Barcelo Old Town Praha last visit to Prague and are staying there in 5 weeks. We also booked more time with a private guide who really made our first visit even more wonderful.

We have booked our own transfers in both directions as well.

We had a fabulous cruise with AMA last year and are aboard AmaCerto next month. Can't wait!

Hello caviargal,

I hope you have a wonderful vacation on the AmaCerto. I look forward to reading your review when you return.

Who are you booked with for transfers?

Thanks!

Hello caviargal,

I hope you have a wonderful vacation on the AmaCerto. I look forward to reading your review when you return.

Who are you booked with for transfers?

Thanks!

For Prague:

Prague Airport Transfers s.r.o.

Komornická 1982/7

160 00 Praha 6

URL: http://http://www.prague-airport-transfers.co.uk/

e-mail: info@prague-airport-transfers.co.uk

For Budapest:

Pulai Alajos Web: http://budapestairporttaxi.com

Cell Phone:+36 20 574 4546

Voip phone: +19175467685

My intention is to post live as time and signal permits.:)

Thank you both very much!

I bookmarked the guides information, it's great to have a personal recommendation!

There is an Oct 2013 date on there, so yes, it's very helpful!

I can't imagine that it would cost as much to do both hotels/land portions as a DIY! We really prefer choosing our own hotels. Our "hobby" is exploring markets and grocery stores for picnic supplies. As a homemaker, I find it interesting to see what is available and taste local foods. We still eat dinner in restaurants, but nothing better than a fresh pastry and local fruit for breakfast and some local cheeses and breads for lunch sitting alongside a river or in a park. :) How weird is it that I find local markets more interesting that museums??? :o

Caviargirl, are you the poster that mentioned a Marriott Milleneum in Budapest that is an apartment style hotel? If so, is it a convenient location?

Thanks so much for providing the information for the transfers. I will look into those!

Oh, that would be great to read a "live" review. I will "tune in".

Thanks for taking the time to help all of us first-time river cruisers!

Thank you both very much!

I bookmarked the guides information, it's great to have a personal recommendation!

There is an Oct 2013 date on there, so yes, it's very helpful!

I can't imagine that it would cost as much to do both hotels/land portions as a DIY! We really prefer choosing our own hotels. Our "hobby" is exploring markets and grocery stores for picnic supplies. As a homemaker, I find it interesting to see what is available and taste local foods. We still eat dinner in restaurants, but nothing better than a fresh pastry and local fruit for breakfast and some local cheeses and breads for lunch sitting alongside a river or in a park. :) How weird is it that I find local markets more interesting that museums??? :o

Caviargirl, are you the poster that mentioned a Marriott Milleneum in Budapest that is an apartment style hotel? If so, is it a convenient location?

Yes, that was me. We are booked there next month and plan to stock up on wine and goodies from the public market to enjoy in the apartment. It is well located and gets very good reviews. And the price was excellent - 102 E per night for a two bedroom, two bathroom apartment of just under 900 sq ft. Our friends booked a studio for 56E per night. And washers and dryers on every floor which we will use before we board.

We love public markets and have our favorites in certain cities. I always research for them before visiting a new place.

In Prague we paid 96E per night with breakfast included and the hotel is both lovely and perfectly located with a great staff.

Thanks so much for providing the information for the transfers. I will look into those!

Oh, that would be great to read a "live" review. I will "tune in".

Thanks for taking the time to help all of us first-time river cruisers!

I always bring my ipad or laptop and post live when I can. It is fun for me to share our experience while things are fresh!

You are welcome and I hope to have more to share next month.:)

One idea that I am thinking about is the possibility of flying into Vienna, spending 2 days there, then taking the train to Budapest for a few days prior to boarding the AmaLyra.

That way we can spend more time in Vienna than the port stop allows, as this is the one port where I have read complaints regarding not getting enough time. Any thoughts on this idea?

Thanks!

For Prague:

Prague Airport Transfers s.r.o.

Komornická 1982/7

160 00 Praha 6

URL: http://http://www.prague-airport-transfers.co.uk/

e-mail: info@prague-airport-transfers.co.uk

For Budapest:

Pulai Alajos Web: http://budapestairporttaxi.com

Cell Phone:+36 20 574 4546

Voip phone: +19175467685

We have used both of these companies for transfers and they were great!! Would not hesitate to recommend them.

We used Prague airport transfers as well, and were very pleased. In Budapest, we did our own post cruise at the Hilton, and they arranged a cab for us to the airport. He was right on time and very reasonably priced we thought.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, that was me. We are booked there next month and plan to stock up on wine and goodies from the public market to enjoy in the apartment. It is well located and gets very good reviews. And the price was excellent - 102 E per night for a two bedroom, two bathroom apartment of just under 900 sq ft. Our friends booked a studio for 56E per night. And washers and dryers on every floor which we will use before we board.

We love public markets and have our favorites in certain cities. I always research for them before visiting a new place.

In Prague we paid 96E per night with breakfast included and the hotel is both lovely and perfectly located with a great staff.

I can't believe I didn't see your reply! Sorry, for not thanking you earlier! Which hotel did you use in Prague? Please post your review when you get back. Have a great trip! I plan to use your review as a blueprint! :D

I can't believe I didn't see your reply! Sorry, for not thanking you earlier! Which hotel did you use in Prague? Please post your review when you get back. Have a great trip! I plan to use your review as a blueprint! :D

We are booked at Barcelo Old Town Praha, a boutique hotel in Old Town that we discovered last trip to Prague.

Almost time to get out the suitcases.:D

One idea that I am thinking about is the possibility of flying into Vienna, spending 2 days there, then taking the train to Budapest for a few days prior to boarding the AmaLyra.

That way we can spend more time in Vienna than the port stop allows, as this is the one port where I have read complaints regarding not getting enough time. Any thoughts on this idea?

Thanks!

Bobalink,

I do hope you get to spend some extra time in Vienna as it is quite beautiful with much to see and do. We just returned from our Avalon cruise, Zurich to Vienna and stayed an extra 2 days in Vienna post cruise. We were at the Intercontinental Hotel located on StadtPark which was quite a convenient location for getting around. There is the Stadtpark Metro directly across the street from the Hotel doors which was great and easy to use. We purchased a 48 hour Metro pass as well as did alot of walking. We had friends we met on the cruise who stayed post cruise in Vienna too and they used the Bristol Hotel and Marriott Hotel and were happy there as well. The Bristol is a bit closer to the Ringstrasse, located on the Kartner Ring across from the Vienna Opera House and the Marriott & Hilton are both located by the Stadtpark. We got to see the morning exercise session of the Royal Lipizzan Stallions which was enjoyable and the Vienna Crown Jewels which was awesome! We had been previously to Vienna for just 1 day on our last cruise and did the Schonnbrunn Palace tour with Avalon. We did not repeat the excursion with Avalon this year but opted this time on our post cruise time to take the Metro from Stadtpark to Schonnbrunn on our own, easy direct 4 stops from Stadtpark and it drops you off about 1 block from the palace entrance. This time we went back just to walk around more leisurely the grounds behind the Palace and take in the lovely Fall Foliage and also included a stop at the Schonnbrunn Cafe for some of their wonderful Apple strudel and Viennese coffee.

There are many wonderful grand baroque Vienna Coffee Houses with much history attached to sit and people watch, use the free wifi and enjoy the delectable pastries and coffee's. Window Shopping is abundant on all the connecting streets around the Stephansplatz and St. Stephan's Cathedral.

We had 2 fabulous Dinner meals recommended by our Hotel Concierge. Our favorite was Griechenbiel (The Old Historic Viennese Inn) which dates back to 1447. Again, it was an easy Metro ride from our Hotel. We had a wonderful concierge service at the Intercontinental who made reservations for us. Our other 2nd favorite Vienna restaurant was Plachuta which the Chef from our river boat the Affinity recommended to us (he is from Vienna). His recommendation was supported as well by the Hotel Concierge. All in all we had a fabulous time in Vienna and would highly recommend extra time there if you can and we would be very happy to go back again in the future. There are many more places we would like to see next time around.

Have a great trip:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bobalink.

We are Bob and Connie. We are looking at AMA Lyra for Aug. 3 sailing. What date are you booked for? What discounts are you offered and from whom? We were offered $500 off for the stateroom on this sailing and $100 per person on top of that. The $500 is via AMA and the $200 is from Cruise-To-Go Vacations acting as representatives of AMA. Never dealt with CTG before, always our T/A at AAA but AAA matched the extra $200. We were told by both sources this is the only sailing at present with offers. Can you provide any more info? Would like to decide asap. Thank's.

Bob

Hi Bob and Connie,

We are Jim and Bobbie, and we are booked for the August 3 sailing. Actually, AMA lists it as August 3 but that includes the pre-cruise days in Budapest. The actual date for embarking the AmaLyra is August 6.

We typically don't use a travel agent, but for this river cruise we did. They offered a nice discount along with the AMA discount.

We currently have the pre and post cruise land booked through AMA, but our travel agent said we can cancel that portion if we decide to "do it ourselves".

We have decided to add some days pre-cruise in Vienna before we take the train to Budapest.

Feel free to contact us via email.

Jim and Bobbie

bobalink cruises at gmail dot com

Hi Jim and Bobbie.

Thanks for the info. Good to know you are on the Aug. 3 cruise. Yes, we realize the actual cruise days are Aug. 6 to Aug. 13. Still playing CTG/AMA against our AAA T/A, will see where the chips fall. The biggest advantage of dealing through them is the insurance coverage is all under one roof, including the air. Never been on a river cruise. Hope this one is possible. More later by e-mail. Ciao.

Bob

Hi BP Cruiser.

We are Bob and Connie. We are in the process of booking our first river cruise and we are looking at AMA Lyra Budapest to Prague August 3, 2013. We are looking at the cruise-only portion and doing Budapest and Prague on our own as there are no tours pre- and post-stays. Therefore, we forfeit the AMA transfers and we are looking for transfer referrals. You have used both Alajos Pulai of Budapest Airport Taxi and Prague Airport Transfers and have recommended them to Caviargal. There will only be the two of us, please advise what they charged you for each transfer. We require the transfer Budapest airport to the Sofitel and the transfer Intercontinental Hotel to Prague airport. Thanks.

Hi Bob,

We will most likely use this company when we are in Prague.

Information below is from their website, looks like a Private Transfer is 22Euros:

Prague Airport Transfers – Taxis, Shuttle

Your one-stop, no-fuss transport provider from and to Prague Airport

Shared Shuttle car2-o.jpgPricelist Airport <-> Centre

Shuttle more info

=transfer_z_letiste&vyber_vozidla=druhe_nejlevnejsi"]Book Shuttle Online

Private Transfer car1-o.jpgPricelist Airport <-> Centre

Pricelist Train Station

Other Intercity Routes

Vip Limousines car3-o.jpgPricelist Airport <-> Centre

Hummer Limousine

Lincoln Limousine

Archived