4/25/08 RCI Explorer--Any Other Solos Going?

gxchan

It was a blast! Now I'm booked for the 9-nighter Bermuda/Caribbean cruise on 4/25. Any other solos going?

I'm going! It's my 3rd cruise, and I'm really, really looking forward to being able to drive to the port. I'm also looking forward to seeing Bermuda as well as the Eastern Caribbean all in one cruise!

Now that it's January, the date is finally getting closer! I made my reservation 8 months ago!

I'm going! It's my 3rd cruise, and I'm really, really looking forward to being able to drive to the port. I'm also looking forward to seeing Bermuda as well as the Eastern Caribbean all in one cruise!

Now that it's January, the date is finally getting closer! I made my reservation 8 months ago!

Ladies,

Make sure you all check out the RCCL M&M thread for this cruise. I am on another cruise in 09 with several people who are on this sailing with you all. I will be on another cruise at the same time and we will be in St. Maarten on the same day and I hope to meet some of the group for a drink there.

Dianna, what part of VA do you live in, I lived in Northern VA for about 5 years or so before moving back to the Midwest?

Hi Dianna, great to hear from you!! I see from your signature that you've been on RCI before, where did you go? And were you solo on those cruises? Lucky you being able to drive to the port—I have to fly cross country. 4/25 will be my fourth cruise, second on RCI. I still have the after-cruise glow from the 12/2 12-nighter in the Southern Caribbean, LOL. I loved the 12/2 so much I booked both the 4/25 and the 11/30 on Explorer!

Have you thought about excursions yet? RCI's excursion list is out but it doesn't list anything for Bermuda yet. I'm signing up for the America's Cup on St. Maarten, Snuba on St. Thomas and, if available, swimming with the dolphins on Bermuda. Zip lines were available for booking in San Juan on the ship but not on the printed excursion list for 12/2, I'm hoping that will be the case again on 4/25.

Ladies,

Make sure you all check out the RCCL M&M thread for this cruise. I am on another cruise in 09 with several people who are on this sailing with you all. I will be on another cruise at the same time and we will be in St. Maarten on the same day and I hope to meet some of the group for a drink there.

Dianna, what part of VA do you live in, I lived in Northern VA for about 5 years or so before moving back to the Midwest?

Vince, I've already been on the 4/25 Roll Call. Are your friends part of the Pink Boa Society?

Vince, I've already been on the 4/25 Roll Call. Are your friends part of the Pink Boa Society?

Yes, that is the group although I think I have only met two of them in person but on your cruise (4-25-08) I am supposed to meet with Emmy and some others in St. Maarten.

BTW, I see you are doing the Americas cup, it is a lot of fun. I have done it twice now.

Ladies, Make sure you all check out the RCCL M&M thread for this cruise.

I've read a bit of the roll call, but I usually hate to interrupt cliques like the pink boa society since there is no way I would fit in. I'm sure everyone is really nice though...

As for what part of VA, I'm in northern VA--Woodbridge to be exact. I'm originally from PA, so northern VA is a good compromise--there are jobs down here, and I'm close enough to friends and family in PA.

Hi Dianna, great to hear from you!! I see from your signature that you've been on RCI before, where did you go? And were you solo on those cruises?

Yup, I was solo on those 2 also. The Feb cruise was to the Bahamas, and the Sept cruise was to the Western Caribbean--fantastic! I loved the Liberty, and am hoping I'll love Explorer too. There was so much to do on the Liberty--I brought 2 books to read, and the only time I really read them was on the plane. Even when I was relaxing on the beach I spent the time staring at the turquoise waters...or sitting out on my balcony staring at the ocean. Mesmerizing!

Have you thought about excursions yet?

I haven't thought about excursions yet. Over the next few weeks I'm going to visit the port boards on here to see what the recommendations are. If there is a zip line through forests I may sign up for that! I went on a zip line in Jamaica and it was AMAZING! But I also want to spend some time on the beach so I'll be looking for the best beaches on the islands and deciding which ones I want to go to. I also want to go on some general sight-see tours to see some of the beautiful vistas on the islands...I want to do everything! I'm going to have to start to narrow my wish list down soon though.

Yes, that is the group although I think I have only met two of them in person but on your cruise (4-25-08) I am supposed to meet with Emmy and some others in St. Maarten.

BTW, I see you are doing the Americas cup, it is a lot of fun. I have done it twice now.

Vince, Thanks for the input re America's Cup, everyone says it is great. I signed up for it on the 12/2 cruise but we got into port late so I canceled--there was only about an hour of daylight left. I'm really looking forward to it in April.

We'll be in St. Maarten all day so getting a drink is definitely possibility. Any suggestions on where to go?

Dianna,

I think the Liberty is bigger than Explorer but Explorer offers tons of activities. I loved having a balcony too, leaving the door open all night was heaven! Let's keep our fingers crossed that zip lines are offered in San Juan again.

You mentioned spending time at beaches, do you have any interest in going to one of the resorts in port? Some are very nice.

You mentioned spending time at beaches, do you have any interest in going to one of the resorts in port? Some are very nice.

Actually I was going to look into some of those at the various stops to see if there are any good ones. My requirements are simple: umbrellas and beautiful turquoise waters :)

Are there any you recommend?

Actually I was going to look into some of those at the various stops to see if there are any good ones. My requirements are simple: umbrellas and beautiful turquoise waters :)

Are there any you recommend?

Dianna, This time around I want to check out the Marriott in St. Thomas--friends went there on the 12/2 cruise and really liked it. You post on All Things Explorer--AqhaCruiser there knows a ton about resorts at each port. I know her, she would be happy to give you more recommendations.

I took 4 books on Explorer b/c I read 4 on last year's Southern Caribbean 12-nighter but I didn't even get through the first chapter of the first book! LOL

Did you solo travel before cruising?

Dianna, This time around I want to check out the Marriott in St. Thomas--friends went there on the 12/2 cruise and really liked it. You post on All Things Explorer--AqhaCruiser there knows a ton about resorts at each port. I know her, she would be happy to give you more recommendations.

I took 4 books on Explorer b/c I read 4 on last year's Southern Caribbean 12-nighter but I didn't even get through the first chapter of the first book! LOL

If you all have a chance I Highly recommend taking the Ferry from Red Hook over to St. Johns, it is beautiful and the beaches are some of the best you will see.

Dianna, I lived in Leesburg when I lived in Northern VA.

I'll have to look into the Marriott--that sounds like a good idea.

I make sure I read the "All Things Explorer" thread every day. Since I've had this cruise planned for awhile I've been reading that thread...probably since the beginning! It has been extremely useful!

I never thought of traveling solo before I started reading this board. I always thought I had to go with people to have any fun. Therefore I didn't use much vacation time because no one wanted to go where and when I wanted to go. I did get some good vacation time in with friends and family but that was few and far between.

But now that I've tried some cruises on my own it's made me want to do other travel to. I want to do a road trip to do a "fall in Vermont" type of tour. Though, I'll offer it up to a friend first. If she can't go, I'll just go by myself :)

But now that I've tried some cruises on my own it's made me want to do other travel to. I want to do a road trip to do a "fall in Vermont" type of tour. Though, I'll offer it up to a friend first. If she can't go, I'll just go by myself :)

I enjoy the All Things Explorer board, too. Nice people, fun, lots of helpful info. Our roll call for the 12/2 Explorer was very lively and fun, too. Lots of cross over between the threads.

A while back I did a solo road trip from San Francisco to Victoria, B.C. and back. It was great! It took a bit more than two weeks. I loved it. Victoria was particularly special b/c the weather was so nice.

I've always traveled solo. Early on there were a couple trips to Hawaii with girlfriends and now a few long weekends with friends but anything longer than 3 days, I go solo. LOL.

Archived