Whats not to miss in Windjammer

I have a question... i had heard once that what they have in the MDR is in WJ for the dinner entrees?

Also, I'm not a very big person, but i love to eat... has anyone ever gone to the MDR and then afterward go to the WJ?

We have always gone to the MDR, we enjoy the atmosphere and having the same waiter everynight.

Thanks for the input!

If you want to have more food at Windjammer after MDR go for it.

That's funny, and shows you just how subjective food tastes are.

I was going to warn you to stay away from the paella! I think that RC's is terrible.

But do NOT miss the bread pudding during afternoon "snack" or "tea" time.

Honey stung chicken is hit or miss in quality. Sometimes it is good, sometimes it is NOT.

Their french fries are excellent.

I had AWESOME satay in the Jade section for dinner; one night it was beef; another night it was chicken. YUMMMMM

The moroccan lamb soup was out of this world.

Fish chowder was good, too.

Don't eat the desserts that "wiggle". :rolleyes:

Which desserts wiggle-------JELLO?

My favorite is the carved roast beef on embarkation day at WJ. I love the fresh salad bar.I leave on Oasis in one month and all I can think of is the roast beef!

I have a question... i had heard once that what they have in the MDR is in WJ for the dinner entrees?

Also, I'm not a very big person, but i love to eat... has anyone ever gone to the MDR and then afterward go to the WJ?

We have always gone to the MDR, we enjoy the atmosphere and having the same waiter everynight.

Thanks for the input!

I have never gone from MDR to WJ BUT I have gone to WJ first and had sushi and one small item that looks really good then I go to the MDR at 830.:) I love to eat also.

On our last cruise, almost everyday I ate some sort of Greek Veggie salad, I loved it.

Where is the cream cheese located? I looked twice because a bagel sounded good but I couldn't find it.

Just ask. Sometimes they "hide" it. It's usually in one of those big earthenware barrels on the counter, but sometimes you can't see what is in 'em.

I love the bread pudding too!

They had a fruit crisp on our last cruise that was very tasty!

They offered carved turkey on the Christmas cruise and it was some of the best turkey I have ever tasted. :D

I also enjoy the "greek style" salads that are offered. Love anything with feta in it! :D

On our last cruise we opted for the Windjammer several nights for dinner and we were not disappointed - they had lots of choices that were very good! :D

For embarkation day, I always have the seafood paella. It's my favorite. My daughter has to try the hit or miss Honey Stung chicken. On our last cruise, we had spent 5 days in Europe before the cruise. I seldom eat hot dogs but when I saw the hot dogs on the buffet, I absolutely had to have one. I had never tried them on any cruise. It was so good I had a second one. My grandson has to have hot sauce (Tabasco) on his fries. On the days at sea, we HAVE to go to the MDR to have the Tutti salad. It's fabulous! I eat Ranger cookies EVERY day..throughout the day. I can't help myself.

My favorite is the carved roast beef on embarkation day at WJ. I love the fresh salad bar.I leave on Oasis in one month and all I can think of is the roast beef!

Thanks for the input!

I have never gone from MDR to WJ BUT I have gone to WJ first and had sushi and one small item that looks really good then I go to the MDR at 830.:) I love to eat also.

We check the menu for the MDR in the afternoon. If it is something that we really love (like lobster), we go. Otherwise we head up to the WJ for dinner. Just about every night they will be serving most of what they had on the MDR menu plus some other things that were not at the MDR.

Could someone please tell me where exactly is the honey stung chicken located in the Windjammer? I want to try it! :D

It was on one of the center 'stand-alone' food islands last time we boarded. The dishes are labeled so you just have to wander around the islands and check them out before filling your plate....

Edited by edjny

Could someone please tell me where exactly is the honey stung chicken located in the Windjammer? I want to try it! :D

My experience is that the location varies, and I've also heard of some ships not having it on embarkation day. However, it's not that hard to find.

Love to eat but eat healthy the majority of the time to really enjoy those "special occasions" All bets are off on a cruise - at Breakfast LOVE the hash brown potatoes (like McDonalds triangle patties-that I never order) Crispy and wonderful. Bacon (again never eat at home), my husband has bagels with cream cheese and LOX every morning (again never have at home). Normally have salad at lunch but add all kinds of things I don't normally indulge in at home - cheese, hard bioled eggs, guacomole, and their wonderful rolls with REAL BUTTER. I do love the cut fruit - the watermelon, grapes and pineapple especially. Suggest you walk around the whole Windjammer to see what is out so you don't end up with a full plate before you find your favorite.

Which desserts wiggle-------JELLO?

There are a lot of mousse-type desserts in various forms that look very pretty but, to me, are not all that great. They can be on a cake or pastry base, or served in chocolate cups or small dessert dishes. As is evidenced on this very thread, you will find people who love something that others detest and vice versa.

Try 'em for yourself and see. :D

Thanks for the input!

You sound like my son. He's very tall, but doesn't carry a lot of weight on his frame. He's going on his first cruise this coming spring and all he talks about is the food he's heard so much about. I keep thinking that sooner , rather than later, his metabolism is going to slow down, and he'll start to put on some pounds ... but it hasn't happened yet.

But I honestly don't think he'll head for the Windjammer afterward ... he'll just order extras in the MDR.

You sound like my son. He's very tall, but doesn't carry a lot of weight on his frame. He's going on his first cruise this coming spring and all he talks about is the food he's heard so much about. I keep thinking that sooner , rather than later, his metabolism is going to slow down, and he'll start to put on some pounds ... but it hasn't happened yet.

But I honestly don't think he'll head for the Windjammer afterward ... he'll just order extras in the MDR.

The MDR is an experience of its own. Lots of fun with all the people and the waiters taking care of you. You can order several of each course, if you want. But, if you are sharing a table with others, it is not very nice to finish you first entree and then order another. There will be delays getting the second/third entree. They will not start serving desert to the others until everybody is done with the entrees. A person ordering a second entree forces everyone else at the table to wait till they are done before they bring out the desert menus.

For a first time cruiser who wants to eat a LOT, take them to the MDR on the night they have the waiters march/dance for the experience. Otherwise, take them to the WJ where they can get mostly the same menu items served in the MDR, but with no delays.

My 19 year old grandson is a tall, very skinny, BIG eater. He's been on 15 cruises and knows his way around the MDR, Windjammer and every possible place to eat. In the MDR, he usually orders more than one appetizer or more than one helping of the same one. He usually orders two entrees, takes more than one bread and orders multiple desserts. The waiters are very accomodating and by night two, they just start bringing in multiples without him asking.He let them know he loves escargot and asked for two. The waiter brought SIX to our table, saying "they're small." He's never gone to the WJ from the MDR, but a couple of hours later, you can find him getting a "snack" at the Promenade Cafe. Tell your son to enjoy himself.

My 19 year old grandson is a tall, very skinny, BIG eater. He's been on 15 cruises and knows his way around the MDR, Windjammer and every possible place to eat. In the MDR, he usually orders more than one appetizer or more than one helping of the same one. He usually orders two entrees, takes more than one bread and orders multiple desserts. The waiters are very accomodating and by night two, they just start bringing in multiples without him asking.He let them know he loves escargot and asked for two. The waiter brought SIX to our table, saying "they're small." He's never gone to the WJ from the MDR, but a couple of hours later, you can find him getting a "snack" at the Promenade Cafe. Tell your son to enjoy himself.

If one orders multiple entrees or appetizers at the same time, there will not be much of a delay for others at the table. The problem comes into play if they order one item, finish and then decide to order another. That causes the delays for everyone at the table.

I enjoyed the consommes and the roast turkey from the carvery. Did not like the fries, so thin and hard you cannot put a fork in them, more like what we call chipsticks, a potato snack that comes in bags.

The cooked meat from the antipasti section made a nice sandwich at lunchtime if not hungry enough for a big meal.

The desserts looked gorgeous but did not taste of much. The best dessert I have ever had was in the MDR, chocolate souffle with expresso cream poured on top, delicious.

Edited by nb125

It is great that tastes are all over. I vote for mayo on fries...

I use a power chair and what I have not read IS THE GREAT SERVICE AND HELP individuals like me get in WJ!

Herb of Rebeca and Herb ;) :confused:

My point: how great is the service, people like me get at the WJ ... that is REAL HELP that permits my DW "to allow" me to go eat alone (by myself - never alone!!!!); then she can wonder off the ship.

Herb :confused:

The indian food, of all types, well not true indian but close.

Now here is something no one has mentioned or maybe it was a one and done dish. On the Monarch, for lunch first day, they had a Shepard's pie that was to die for, we have looked for it on all cruises since then but never found it.

Now I love this -- maybe the chefs were making Shepards pie to give leftovers a second life. usually that's the case when you see 1 and dones.

Same here. Mayo on fries. Ketchup is so over rated..... : D

Of course malt vinegar is good too (and no, I'm not English;) )

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I would do malt vinegar too :D Agree ketchup is way over rated but our daughter thinks it's a food group :rolleyes:

BonVoyage

Dawna