WOW card now replaced with envelope

On my last few RCI cruises I have received "WOW cards" to give to crew members who go above and beyond. It was my understanding that they could save these up for things such as an extra day off.

A few weeks ago on the Explorer I asked about these and was told we would get them towards the end of the week. I never received the WOW card but instead a WOW envelope stating: "WOW! RECOGNIZING EXCEPTIONAL SERVICE Additional Gratuity in Recognition of Delivering the WOW!"

They have both. You get the cards in the terminal before you board (just ask for them when you check in), and the envelopes are delivered along with your luggage tags at the end of the cruise. On our last cruise, we used both the cards and the envelopes:)

They have both. You get the cards in the terminal before you board (just ask for them when you check in), and the envelopes are delivered along with your luggage tags at the end of the cruise. On our last cruise, we used both the cards and the envelopes:)

That's funny because on my last few cruises I was given them at check-in without having to ask. When I thought about it later, I asked specifically for the card not the envelope. Like I said I was told we would receive them towards the end of the week which never happened.

The WOW card is handed out when you check in at the pier by the rep checking you in. They are not supposed to be handed out by anyone on the ship. The idea for getting the WOW card(s) during check-in, is that you are getting it from someone that will show no partiality towards anyone on the ship.

The WOW envelope is to show appreciation to someone who went over and above for you during your cruise.

Edited by cruisenfever

you can always get at guest relations

I have asked for them before at Guest Services when I didn't get them at check in ( they did not give us any and I forgot to ask for them) and was told they did not have them. Maybe that has changed now

Edited by dixieva

I'm pretty sure the Wow envelopes are given to everyone and are for additional gratuities since RCI went to auto charging. The Wow cards are still given to C&A members at check-in.

Or in other words.....what Patti said. ;)

I'm pretty sure the Wow envelopes are given to everyone and are for additional gratuities since RCI went to auto charging. The Wow cards are still given to C&A members at check-in.

Or in other words.....what Patti said. ;)

I'm wondering why I didn't get them at check-in. Perhaps they just forgot or are they only upon request now?

I'm wondering why I didn't get them at check-in. Perhaps they just forgot or are they only upon request now?

It's hit or miss depending on when and where you check in. Sometimes we've seen a stack of them out at each check in station and we just take how many we think we'll use, sometimes we've been handed them from behind the counter w/o asking, and sometimes we have to ask for them. I've never tried asking for them at GS after we board, so I don't know whether they're available there or not.

Someone probably forgot. We received the WOW cards at boarding on 10/28 and then received the envelope in our stateroom on the last night, I believe. Same for the other couple we were travelling with.

On my last few RCI cruises I have received "WOW cards" to give to crew members who go above and beyond. It was my understanding that they could save these up for things such as an extra day off.

A few weeks ago on the Explorer I asked about these and was told we would get them towards the end of the week. I never received the WOW card but instead a WOW envelope stating: "WOW! RECOGNIZING EXCEPTIONAL SERVICE Additional Gratuity in Recognition of Delivering the WOW!"

I will throw that envelope right in the trash. After they take the two hundred and forty Dollar service charge.For our ten day cruise on the Explorer. I think that is a great tip.If you want more see Royal Caribbean. :confused: :)

Edited by caribbean sailor

I had to ask for our WOW cards on our last cruise. We were the first to check in with this agent and she said she forgot to put them out. She got them and gave us a few.

Also, I asked our room attendant about WOW cards and giving an employee a great review on the survey. She said the review means a lot more. When they receive so many WOW cards, they get their name into a drawing for stuff.

We got WOW cards at check-in on our last cruise (Sept), but on the one before that (April) they forgot to give them to us. We realized that we didn't have them after lunch that afternoon, so we exited the ship, went back to the check-in counter, and got them.

Guest Services definitely does not have them - we tried that before we left the ship that day. So try to remember to ask for WOW cards at check-in.

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

We have always been handed the "WOW" cards when we check in and I love to give them out. Our last cruise was a prime example of how an employee could wow you. She was the WJ greeter and always had a huge smile for everyone coming into the dining facility. When no one was coming in it was great just to watch her because she was so bubbly. She would sing to herself and dance in place and just projected positive energy. It's nice to see someone like that...just enjoying life.

Our complaint on our first cruise on the RCI was that we were only given one wow card. By day 4 we had found 4 staff members that we wanted to give one to. Unfortunately, the Cabin Steward told us that they were only given out when we embarked and that he had none. Great. No use on day 4.

We did mention all staff on our feedback form but did not feel that the Wow card was explained to us at all -

We got the Wow envelope as well.

:confused:

Edited by Presto2

I thought I was showing my appreciation for the good service by allowing RC to add a daily tip charge to my account:confused:

You are. But I guess you always tip the minimum in all cases wherever you go. It's very likely that you get more than the minimum required service on a cruise.

Most cruisers expect darned good service and almost always get even better. What's wrong with recognizing that?

It amazes me that people never think that folks who depend on tips for most of their income are ever worthy of more than the minimum. But I would bet a lot that they expect to get promoted in their jobs or get a raise even if they don't do a WOW job.

You are. But I guess you always tip the minimum in all cases wherever you go. It's very likely that you get more than the minimum required service on a cruise.

Most cruisers expect darned good service and almost always get even better. What's wrong with recognizing that?

It amazes me that people never think that folks who depend on tips for most of their income are ever worthy of more than the minimum. But I would bet a lot that they expect to get promoted in their jobs or get a raise even if they don't do a WOW job.

Sometimes I so miss the Like button. Bob278 I agree 100%. The crew on RC ships goes over what is expected. My first stop for lunch after I get off a cruise almost hurts. No smiles, no thank you, no happy (me or them).:(

As far as I know the RCI daily fee is the sugested amount not the minimum as the minimum is $0.

I just came off the allure on Sunday and our Room attendant told us to NOT to bother filling out those WOW cards. He stated they were useless and not very looked at. He said that it is more important to fill out the survey you get the night before you leave. They pay much more attention to those. You can list (As I did) the specific workers that you wish to give special attention to.

I just came off the allure on Sunday and our Room attendant told us to NOT to bother filling out those WOW cards. He stated they were useless and not very looked at. He said that it is more important to fill out the survey you get the night before you leave. They pay much more attention to those. You can list (As I did) the specific workers that you wish to give special attention to.

We've been told similar. Although not that the WOW cards are useless, they have some value, but that the survey is far more important.

We've been told similar. Although not that the WOW cards are useless, they have some value, but that the survey is far more important.

The WOW cards can be handed out to crew and staff (2 star or below) and then, after collecting a certain number, the individual can turn them in for little perks, like a morning/afternoon off, free internet minutes, etc. This is all handled on the ship by department.

All survey cards are collected at the end of the cruise and are forwarded to Miami to be read and evaluated. Every card and comment is reviewed whether good or bad. Those survey cards are especially helpful when evaluation of crew is handled.

Edited by cruisenfever