Any experiences lately with making a 10:10 am flight from FLL from Indy?

luv2gonow

Hi,

I am going back and forth with booking this flight. I already booked a Monday flight to not have to stress about making flight.

But….there has been so many snow days and my daughter was sick so I don't want her to miss another day. School is taking back that Monday after Easter so I would really like to take the early flight.

Itin says ship docks at 5:30am. My experience with Carnival and Port Canaveral is that I can walk off with my luggage within an hour of docking?

Is this true with RCCL and this Port Everglades.

Also what is the taxi situation….Are they waiting outside? Can i pre-arrange to have a car meet me?

Thanks

Kerri

Last month we were at the airport and sitting at our gate by 8:30am. We did not use self assist. We were probably the 5th or 6th group after self. When we had made our way to the front of the immigration line, the line behind us was much longer than when we got into it.

Walking to the cab line, a person from van service stopped us and said they had 2 seats left, we got on and left immediately, only 1 stop at airport before us. The security line was not long at all at that point. We were very lucky that everything worked out perfectly, even though our flight wasn't until 11:30.

I guess we have an entirely different take on these kinds of plans...

YES...people can make a 10:10 FLL departure flight.

As others have indicated, you just have to disembark at the early period with all your luggage (usually off by 7am). As most know, the FLL airport is not that far away from the various ship terminals in Port Everglades.

That said...our view is that after a nice relaxing cruise/vacation...the last thing we want to do is hustle of a ship early in the morning, schlep all of our luggage in a hurry to a cab or shuttle, and then rush to catch a flight before Noon.

Seems like a drastic rush-rush end to a calm and relaxing experience. We generally book an afternoon flight...take our time off the ship (sometimes among the last folks off)...and then take our time to stop for a nice brunch nearby before heading over the the airport. Ahhhhhhh.......

In the case of our cruise following INDY...we're even going in a day early and leaving 2 days later, just to enjoy the experience, relax, and make it not only memorable but also a real vacation (the dictionary definition).

Ahhhhhhh.......... :)

I guess we have an entirely different take on these kinds of plans...

YES...people can make a 10:10 FLL departure flight.

As others have indicated, you just have to disembark at the early period with all your luggage (usually off by 7am). As most know, the FLL airport is not that far away from the various ship terminals in Port Everglades.

That said...our view is that after a nice relaxing cruise/vacation...the last thing we want to do is hustle of a ship early in the morning, schlep all of our luggage in a hurry to a cab or shuttle, and then rush to catch a flight before Noon.

Seems like a drastic rush-rush end to a calm and relaxing experience. We generally book an afternoon flight...take our time off the ship (sometimes among the last folks off)...and then take our time to stop for a nice brunch nearby before heading over the the airport. Ahhhhhhh.......

In the case of our cruise following INDY...we're even going in a day early and leaving 2 days later, just to enjoy the experience, relax, and make it not only memorable but also a real vacation (the dictionary definition).

Ahhhhhhh.......... :)

If I was sticking around for two days, I'd agree with you. But like most people, when I disembark, the vacation is over and I'm heading home. I would MUCH rather get up a little early and haul my own bags than sit at the airport for hours. For me, busting my tail a bit in the morning, but getting home midday and getting settled is MUCH preferable to leisurely debarking but not getting home until late in the evening.

If I was sticking around for two days, I'd agree with you. But like most people, when I disembark, the vacation is over and I'm heading home. I would MUCH rather get up a little early and haul my own bags than sit at the airport for hours. For me, busting my tail a bit in the morning, but getting home midday and getting settled is MUCH preferable to leisurely debarking but not getting home until late in the evening.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

We don't consider the vacation over until someone prys our cold hands off our luggage when we get home. :D

We walked off of the Legend yesterday. Had to wait in the lobby until the gangway cleared, probably around 7:30 or so. We were at the airport by 8 AM...shared a taxi with another couple who asked if we were going to the airport. Cost was $15 for the 4 of us. Even with the stop at their airline (Air Canada), we checked in at AA and we were at our gate by I'd say 8:15...hanging out for our 10:30 flight. Tons of taxis lined up waiting outside the pier. Only had 2 Customs agents working but we still got out in plenty of time.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

We don't consider the vacation over until someone prys our cold hands off our luggage when we get home. :D

If I were "extending" my vacation beyond the cruise, I would absolutely feel the same way. But from the time I step off the ship, until I'm in my house, is a minimum of 5 1/2 - 6 hours if I do everything swiftly. If I don't, then the exact same trek can take 9 or 10 hours. Generally, I don't enjoy spending time at the airport, and making my way home. So, if I can get that done more quickly, I will absolutely do so.

Because of my current work situation, taking more that eight days or so at a time is a real stretch. So I'm usually at then end of my time off when I debark. With the anticipation of being back to work the next day, I much prefer to get home, and get settled.

I've kinda come to the same conclusion. When the trip is over, I want to get home and get back to normal.

We use the luggage valet service which means we never see our luggage until we arrive at our home airport. Also using Luggage Valet Service we were told we could leave when we were ready, and did when indeed leave when we were ready.:):):)

We use the luggage valet service which means we never see our luggage until we arrive at our home airport. Also using Luggage Valet Service we were told we could leave when we were ready, and did when indeed leave when we were ready.:):):)

I have done this. But more often than not, I now carry on. And I'd rather haul my own bag than have to go to baggage claim at the other end. But you are correct. If checking a bag, luggage valet is the way to go (assuming your flight time allows it).

It wasn't the same cruise line, but we had a 10:30am flight on our last cruise. It wasn't worth the added stress, in my opinion. We made the flight, but when we docked we had to make sure we were waiting at the door to leave and rush off. We didn't take a taxi (we should have) and took the cruise line shuttle, but the bus had to wait to fill up before it left so it felt like we were waiting forever.

I would have much preferred a calmer departure that didn't involve so much rushing.