Boston - No Name Restaurant

go titans

Has anyone been too and have information on the No Name Restaurant in Boston?

How far of a walk from the cruise ship?

I've eaten there dozens of times. It's good, simple and affordable. You won't ever have a memorable meal, but you won't have a bad meal. No atmosphere at all, except at about a dozen tables that have water views.

It's the kind of place that gets bus groups.

It's under a mile walk.

Has anyone been too and have information on the No Name Restaurant in Boston?

How far of a walk from the cruise ship?

We used to live in Boston until 8 years ago .... well, actually Marshfield, a seaside community south of Boston .... but I can tell you if you are looking for fresh seafood and good seafood, THIS IS THE PLACE!! Especially CLAMS!! The OP is right .... it won't be 'memorable' if you are looking for atmosphere .. there is none, but the food is wonderful and affordable ... REAL GOOD SEAFOOD!! Hope you go ... we miss places like that here in GA.

I heard about this place through the recent issue of Porthole Magazine (or was it Cruise Travel? I have both - one had a day in Boston, the other had a story on lobster in the Canadian ports). At any rate, I added No Name to my list.

BUT, I was out on the site that is an advisor on trips and No Name has had some horrible, horrible reviews the last couple months. I'm not going to chance it. Too many other places on my list.

If you do go, please report back how it was.

I heard about this place through the recent issue of Porthole Magazine (or was it Cruise Travel? I have both - one had a day in Boston, the other had a story on lobster in the Canadian ports). At any rate, I added No Name to my list.

BUT, I was out on the site that is an advisor on trips and No Name has had some horrible, horrible reviews the last couple months. I'm not going to chance it. Too many other places on my list.

If you do go, please report back how it was.

That's too bad ... course I haven't been for years, but it's also been around for years with the same good quality. Was it on 'Trip Advisor'? I usually go there and try and 'sort out' the reviews. I hope it was just a few 'off' reviews, I would hate to see that landmark go. The other place ... totally on the other end of the spectrum is Legal Seafood. Quite a bit more pricey ... but a more upscale restaurant .... but OH, SO GOOD!! You can't beat Boston for seafood! Good luck whatever you do! :)

That's too bad ... course I haven't been for years, but it's also been around for years with the same good quality. Was it on 'Trip Advisor'? I usually go there and try and 'sort out' the reviews. I hope it was just a few 'off' reviews, I would hate to see that landmark go. The other place ... totally on the other end of the spectrum is Legal Seafood. Quite a bit more pricey ... but a more upscale restaurant .... but OH, SO GOOD!! You can't beat Boston for seafood! Good luck whatever you do! :)

There are THREE (3) different Legal Seafoods within steps of each other:

1) LTK (Legal Test Kitchen) - sort of funky, more interesting menu

2) Legal Harborside 1st floor - more of your traditional Legal Seafoods

3) Legal Harborside 2nd floor - very upscale fine dining, with exquisite seafood and steak.

2 + 3 have great harbor views, 1 is across the street.

• 4 weeks later...

A much better place (and closer to the pier) is the Drydock cafe: http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/4/51568/restaurant/South-Boston/Dry-Dock-Cafe-Boston

It is very near the pier (less than a 5 minute walk) and the restaurant is in front of the fish processing plant that delivers all the fish to the restaurants in the Boston area. The prices are better than the No Name, and the atmosphere is even less then the No Name, but the food is incredible.

It is only open Monday to Friday.

BUT, I was out on the site that is an advisor on trips and No Name has had some horrible, horrible reviews the last couple months. I'm not going to chance it.

The reviews on TA are SO full of false/faked posts and such these days that it would be foolish to go by them, IMO.

Go on Yelp or Chowhound or take the advice of posters here on this site.

There are THREE (3) different Legal Seafoods within steps of each other:

1) LTK (Legal Test Kitchen) - sort of funky, more interesting menu

2) Legal Harborside 1st floor - more of your traditional Legal Seafoods

3) Legal Harborside 2nd floor - very upscale fine dining, with exquisite seafood and steak.

2 + 3 have great harbor views, 1 is across the street.

I agree.

Another vote for Legal Seafood. www.legalseafood.com

There are even more locations in Boston than you have listed. Long Wharf, Prudential, Park Square.....

We remember when they first started out with so few locations but they've grown so much and yet remained very good.

Edited by sail7seas

• 2 weeks later...

Also in that area is Yankee Lobster. It's a tiny counter service restaurant that's filled with tacky decorations and uses paper plates, but the seafood is very good at a fraction of the prices at Legal. They were recently featured on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives for their lobster Mac and Cheese and their Stuffed Quohogs.

• 6 months later...

We recently went to the No Name for Easter Sunday and was very dissapointed. Living in the Boston area it always had a great reputation but lateley I have heard it's not so good anymore. Being that it is on the "Fish Pier" I expected a large variety of fresh seafood. Very limited menu. I ordered the scallop plate and they served "bay scallops" the little ones. I wanted sea scallops being that we were on the sea. If you rent a car take the drive down towards Foxboro to see Gillette Stadium and Patriot Place. Lots of great places to eat along Rte 1. My favorite is "The Red Wing Diner" in Walpole. From pizza to seafood, you will not be dissapointed.

We recently went to the No Name for Easter Sunday and was very dissapointed. Living in the Boston area it always had a great reputation but lateley I have heard it's not so good anymore. Being that it is on the "Fish Pier" I expected a large variety of fresh seafood. Very limited menu. I ordered the scallop plate and they served "bay scallops" the little ones. I wanted sea scallops being that we were on the sea. If you rent a car take the drive down towards Foxboro to see Gillette Stadium and Patriot Place. Lots of great places to eat along Rte 1. My favorite is "The Red Wing Diner" in Walpole. From pizza to seafood, you will not be dissapointed.

That's why we don't really recommend it much here.

And regarding Foxboro, although Patriot Place is a great shopping center, I'd never recommend a trip there to anyone visiting the Boston area for a week or less. Too many historic and more interesting places to go that aren't a 40 minute ride from the city.

• 1 month later...