Vigo to Santiago de Compostela

ann141

We are hoping to visit Santiago de Compostela when we dock at Vigo in April. I understand is quite difficult to get there under your own steam so we will probably go on the ships excursion. However i wonder whether anyone has visited Santiago from Vigo by train bus or taxi and has any useful tips etc incase we decide to do it alone.

Thanks

hi

I've replied to your original query on the main board. As an addition, Santiago is a fantastic city to wander about in. The Centro Historico is very compact and you really would be better wandering about by yourselves rather than in a group.

If you like seafood you'll love it!

Not sure what makes it difficult. When there on our last visit we simply grabbed a taxi to the train station (didn't feel like taking the long walk) and caught the 8:50 train which had us in Santigo at a little after 10am. We took the 3:26 back which got us into Vigo a little before 5 (our ship did not depart until 6). No problems at all. DW and I seldom to ever take a tour and are always comfortable (in most countries) on our own. However, we always suggest that independent travelers have a "Plan B" which is for the worst case scenario if you happen to miss a ship. So a question would be where is your ship going on the following day and how could you catch-up if necessary.

That being said, for over forty years I have been doing my own thing in about 4 years of time on cruise ships and have yet to miss a ship (came close 2 times).

Hank

Not even a taxi. The train station Vigo-Guixar it´s at 20 minutes walking time from the port. Just go out of the port walk left, you´ll see the station on the left by the port. There are trains every 60 minutos

Travelling time it´s less than 80 minutes. The new line it´s about to become operational, so high speed train will serve the Atlantic Corridor (Coruña-Santiago-Vigo). It´s like a gentle breeze. No problems.

Do come to Santiago. You´ll love it.

Would just add that we previously made the walk between the port and the train station and its a relatively easy mile stroll. However, the day we took the taxi it was raining and we were just too darn lazy :). But having cruised with many folks who complain about walking from one end of the ship to the other, or who wait 15 minutes for an elevator to avoid walking down one flight of steps, there will still be many cruisers who want a taxi :).

And we do agree, go to Santiago because it is a lovely city.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I have always suggest a second option. Most taxi drivers accept day tours to Santiago. I am not familiar with the fares but I would calculate about 200 euros with a three hours waiting in Santiago. It's not bad if four people share the taxi.

Just another remark. In April the new line will in service. 45 minutes to Santiago and new station. Vigo Urzaiz will be the one for trains to Santiago. Taxi is essential. Vigo Guixar for other regional trains.

Just another remark. In April the new line will in service. 45 minutes to Santiago and new station. Vigo Urzaiz will be the one for trains to Santiago. Taxi is essential. Vigo Guixar for other regional trains.

Keltic, that's great news!! Last year we took the Alvia train from Santiago to Madrid, very impressed! I'm off to Santiago again this summer, doing my 3rd Camino.

Is the Cathedral still covered with scaffold? :(

Ann, I've never done Vigo to Santiago but do whatever you need to do to get to Santiago. Its a magical city and it will not disappoint!

We are hoping to visit Santiago de Compostela. However i wonder whether anyone has visited Santiago from Vigo by train bus or taxi and has any useful tips etc incase we decide to do it alone.

Thanks

Hi Ann

I went there by train (but from A Coruna) and made this in case it's of interest. The walk from the S de C station takes about 10 minutes (3/4 mile ?). Lovely place. I think if you can be inside the cathedral at noon you might see the famous swinging of the thurible, like in the film. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]7-IqpTL-nDc[/YOUTUBE]

The north tower scaffolds are about to be removed. The south ones will remain for a while as they have found extra damages which need to be fixed

Thanks Keltic for that info. I'm glad they're taking care of the problem, the Cathedral is a jewel that needs to be preserved.

Do you know if they're still doing the tours of the rooftop?

Hi Ann

I went there by train (but from A Coruna) and made this in case it's of interest. The walk from the S de C station takes about 10 minutes (3/4 mile ?). Lovely place. I think if you can be inside the cathedral at noon you might see the famous swinging of the thurible, like in the film. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]7-IqpTL-nDc[/YOUTUBE]

Tony,

THank you so much for that fantastic video! You should try doing a segment of the Camino, I have a feeling you and your family would like it! :)

Hope you liked your tarta de Santiago!

Edited by cruiseluv

Tony,

THank you so much for that fantastic video! You should try doing a segment of the Camino, I have a feeling you and your family would like it! :)

Um... will get back to you about becoming a Camino pilgrim. I am on surer ground when I say our tart was fantastic - why did I only by one ? :)

Not even a taxi. The train station Vigo-Guixar it´s at 20 minutes walking time from the port. Just go out of the port walk left, you´ll see the station on the left by the port. There are trains every 60 minutos

Travelling time it´s less than 80 minutes. The new line it´s about to become operational, so high speed train will serve the Atlantic Corridor (Coruña-Santiago-Vigo). It´s like a gentle breeze. No problems.

Do come to Santiago. You´ll love it.

Will the new line run as far as Ferrol?

Thanks Keltic for that info. I'm glad they're taking care of the problem, the Cathedral is a jewel that needs to be preserved.

Do you know if they're still doing the tours of the rooftop?

Yes. Roof tours are offered as usual. Or at least they were a couple of months ago. Just ask at the tourist office.

• 1 month later...
Tony,

DITTO, Thank you, another Tony

Santiago is a must visit place if you are at Vigo. I took the ship tour and was glad I did, since our guide gave us plenty of time on our own as well as letting us know when to be back at the cathedral for the ceremony. They don't do the swinging Botafumeiro every day; but we lucked out when we were there. The below video isn't that great, since I was having a problem with the iPhone and it wasn't in video mode when I started; so I had to rush to get some video of it.

Santiago is a must visit place if you are at Vigo. I took the ship tour and was glad I did, since our guide gave us plenty of time on our own as well as letting us know when to be at the cathedral to see the swinging Botafumeiro. They don't do it every day, so we were quite lucky to get to see it. I was not able to insert the video like Tony did, but here is a link to the video I took while there. I did have a problem with my iPhone at first; but finally was able to get it working.

Edited by MVPinBoynton

Some trains update in the VIGO-SANTIAGO track. New trains and line is fully operational, but beware of the Station. There are two types of trains. Regionals (which leave from Vigo Guixar), and the "fast" ones (about 45 minutes) from the new Vigo-Urzaiz Station.