some BsAs prices today

Merlinite

Thought some folks headed this way would like to know:

Taxi from EZE to Centro AR$400-. The 24 hour bank was closed when we arrived so we paid US$47 at the official rate of 8.5. The porter that helped us to the car expected a tip, a dollar seemed to satisfy him. After an exciting drive into town we decided to tip our driver also. He appreciated it.

Received 13.3 exchange at the dolar blue cambio behind the Alvear Palace. Very easy and professional. i.e. US$300- = AR$3,990-. caveat, don't buy to many pesos as you might have trouble spending them. hint, look for the space with the cow covering the window, lower level, press the button and they will buzz you into a waiting area, then into the transaction area.

Here's some prices we experienced:

Mid day meal at Clarks, Empenada, steak & fries and nice desert AR$94- Bottle of Patagonia beer 44, glass of cab wine (forgot, but pretty cheap). Total cost for 2, with tip, less than US$30-.

Beer drinkers, try the Patagonia Amber Lager...

Bag of groceries for breakfast at the apartment AR$29-. Bottle of Malbec 24, they had cheaper (16) but we splurged :D

1/2 roasted chicken, large box of fries, large salad AR$170-. way more than we could finish. We are learning to scale down the orders...

Official jersey for Boca Juniors AR$320- (for grandson the soccer star)

Admission to Art Museum AR$20. Guided tour 15.

Walked most of the day around Recoleta and Palermo. With a pocket full of pesos we will be using taxis today and tomorrow. There are literally thousands of taxis moving around the streets. Remise to the dock from Recoleta is reserved for Saturday, AR$140- (US$10 or so). can't beat that with luggage and all!

Our apartment in Recoleta, (US$50/night through airbnb), has fast wifi and cable tv. We even found some English channels, but the local news gives us a chance to practice our Spanish. A decent kitchen and very secure.

I will say that is rather sad that some of the locals are disrespectful of their fine city. Rampant littering, awful defacing of buildings and monuments. Some information signs obliterated by spray paint, buildings graffitied. There is much deferred maintenance all over town, buildings, streets, sidewalks, etc. Probably due to the monetary situation, but sad to see the deterioration of this beautiful city :(

Hope this helps!

I paid 60 pesos (4 dollars and change) for 3 empanadas and a coke yesterday at the food court in Galareia Pacifica mall in downtown BA. Lots of food court meals -pasta, wok dishes, salads, were 75 to 85 pesos with a drink. A grilled bide de chorizo dinner was 110 (a little less than 9 bucks).

• 2 weeks later...

Merlinite, Wonderful information. We'll be looking for the "cow in the window" in a few weeks. Is it directly behind the Alvear Palace? Any more hints on locating that cow? Your post helped us figure out our peso budget and guide us on how much to exchange. Thanks so much.

Merlinite, Wonderful information. We'll be looking for the "cow in the window" in a few weeks. Is it directly behind the Alvear Palace? Any more hints on locating that cow? Your post helped us figure out our peso budget and guide us on how much to exchange. Thanks so much.

Yes, it is on Posadas street directly behind the Alvear Palace. It's located off the street in a small shopping galeria about the middle of the block. It is on the same side of the street as the Alvear.

The "cow in the window" cueva is on the right as you enter the shopping gallery. It closes at mid day on Saturday and is not open on Sunday, so schedule accordingly. If you can't locate it for whatever reason, ask the doorman at the Alvear. It is a poorly kept "secret" location.

Check the blue market price for dollars to pesos before you go. I use http://www.ambito.com. The cueva will "shave" a small amount from the blue market rate, usually about two points...so if the current rate is 13.2, expect to receive 13.0 or 13.1. The actual exchange rate you receive will depend on how much you exchange and the denomination of dollar you exchange (larger amounts and hundred dollar bills will get you the best rate). Some exchange houses ask for your passport or other id. This one did not.

FWIW, There are two well known and highly rated restaurants in the same block on the opposite side of the street, a bit closer to Callao. El Sanjuanino is THE spot to go for empanadas. Very old and traditional spot with a barrel shaped brick ceiling. Next door is an upscale parrilla, Fervor. Great spot for grilled steak and seafood. Good seafood is something of a rarity in Buenos Aires.

Dr. Dawggy. Thanks for all the details on the exchange and the dining tips, they were perfect. We saw your earlier post regarding lunch at the Galleria food court which I noted. Mark is a vegetarian and in food courts you can find almost anything so I'm sure we'll be stopping in for a quick bite.

Thanks so much..Connie & Mark

We had a late lunch today at a small but nice upscale restaurant near the Recoleta Cemetery. Very nice decor -- lovely chandeliers with white tablecloths over a black underlying tablecloth. Excellent but fairly formal wait staff. So this wasn't a food court style meal.

My husband had two large empanadas with different fillings, which were so delicious that he ordered a third (I mean -- how much can this guy eat) and I had a large (and I mean LARGE) cesear salad with chicken -- delicious salad with excellent quality ingredients. We were also served a bread basket with four herbed rolls and a delicious large portion of herbed flat bread. The flat bread was served with a excellent roasted eggplant spread. I had one cafe con leche but the hubby had two. Total price for this feast was 239 pesos.

We are finding that the meals in Buenos Aires have been large and so far the quality has been great. But given that late lunch, even though a number of the restaurants don't open until 8:30 PM for dinner, we think we may just have some appetizers at the hotel bar for dinner tonight.

We had a late lunch today at a small but nice upscale restaurant near the Recoleta Cemetery. Very nice decor -- lovely chandeliers with white tablecloths over a black underlying tablecloth. Excellent but fairly formal wait staff. So this wasn't a food court style meal.

My husband had two large empanadas with different fillings, which were so delicious that he ordered a third (I mean -- how much can this guy eat) and I had a large (and I mean LARGE) cesear salad with chicken -- delicious salad with excellent quality ingredients. We were also served a bread basket with four herbed rolls and a delicious large portion of herbed flat bread. The flat bread was served with a excellent roasted eggplant spread. I had one cafe con leche but the hubby had two. Total price for this feast was 239 pesos.

We are finding that the meals in Buenos Aires have been large and so far the quality has been great. But given that late lunch, even though a number of the restaurants don't open until 8:30 PM for dinner, we think we may just have some appetizers at the hotel bar for dinner tonight.

Northern Aurora... your restaurant reviews and recommendations are just outstanding. Our mouths are watering and can't wait to partake in some of these delights. But, what is the name of the above restaurant? We'll be in need of a nice late lunch in the Recoleta area on our arrival day. If you can't remember the name maybe a street and we'll hunt it up. Also, the other day on our roll call you told me about a wonderful dinner, do you remember name or location of that restaurant? We'd love to go there too. Honestly, you should be a food critic you make all sound just so delicious. Thanks....

Northern Aurora, Since you are in Recoleta, do try El Sanjuanino if your husband craves empanadas again before you leave. It is on Posadas not far from Callao and is THE spot in BA for empanadas. Baked or fried, the choice is yours. You can also choose carne (beef), spicy or mild, cheese and ham, corn and cheese, chicken and several other options. You won't find tablecloths on the table, but El Sanjuanino is an authentic venue for empanadas and other specialties from the north of Argentina.

Northern Aurora, Since you are in Recoleta, do try El Sanjuanino if your husband craves empanadas again before you leave. It is on Posadas not far from Callao and is THE spot in BA for empanadas. Baked or fried, the choice is yours. You can also choose carne (beef), spicy or mild, cheese and ham, corn and cheese, chicken and several other options. You won't find tablecloths on the table, but El Sanjuanino is an authentic venue for empanadas and other specialties from the north of Argentina.

We ate there two years ago based on recommendations from our wonderful guide, and we loved it. We particularly enjoyed the corn empanadas and the cheese and onion empanadas. And the sangria was fun -- it was made with house wine and orange soda. :)

Enjoy!

Yes, it is on Posadas street directly behind the Alvear Palace. It's located off the street in a small shopping galeria about the middle of the block. It is on the same side of the street as the Alvear.

The "cow in the window" cueva is on the right as you enter the shopping gallery."

I also found a place on Santa Fe. I believe it said Antiques, or something. Any time you see a decorative covered window with small openings displaying items and a door bell, you have probably found a blue dolar cambio. Once inside I saw that they could see out, but one couldn't see in from the street. The transaction area is in a separate room.

We used the dolar blue cambio location near the Recoleta Mall.

If you face the mall (back to the cemetery), there is a McDonald's on the far left. Cross the street at that corner, turn up the street (to your right away from the cemetery) about half way up is a place that looks like you would pay your utility bills and also has a small sign that says cambio.

It has two booths in the front for the utility paying and past another door is where you trade your dollars.

The rate for $50s or $100s was 13 to 1; for $20s, 12.5 to 1. Closes at 1:30 PM on Saturday. Not open on Sunday.

We too found the food excellent and the portions to be huge. We ended up splitting most orders.

We felt very safe walking around the Recoleta area--felt the biggest danger was stepping in a hole in the sidewalk or in dog poop.

• 2 weeks later...
I would appreciate someone explaining the "blue dollar". I have read about it on trip advisor but don't quite understand. Thanks in advance.

Dollar blue is the black market exchange rate. My husband was quite leery about the process but found that the exchange location recommended by our hotel had no sleaze factor and the exchange rate made BsAs quite reasonable he quickly bought into the process.

The legal, government rate is 8.5 to 1 us $. Some places will exchange at a better rate if you pay in US dollars. Some cafes have their exchange rate posted in the window. However you can get a much better rate at a dollar blu location. I would avoid the guys on Florida st shouting cambio and use a place recommended to you.

The government keeps the rate at a much lower rate than that the economy deserves.

If you want a more detailed explanation, try this Cruise Critic thread. Peter James offers a concise overview.... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2153774

Although from a consumer perspective I don't find it necessary to understand the macroeconomic reasons for the government's decision to set the value of the dollar at an artificially low rate. My interest is more in how to leverage the free floating blue rate against the official rate to save money. :)

Although from a consumer perspective I don't find it necessary to understand the macroeconomic reasons for the government's decision to set the value of the dollar at an artificially low rate. My interest is more in how to leverage the free floating blue rate against the official rate to save money. :)

Amen