Port towns of Sicily

BBMacLaird

Our destination blogger, Lee, writes about the port towns of Sicily.

I especially love this quote of his "The best way to see Palermo as is the case for most of Italy is by foot, eating your way through the city."

To me that's the best way to see every city!How about you?

Here's a link to his story: The Unique & Charming Port Towns of Sicily

I feel a fraud LOL. Last time I was in Sicily on Azamara we tendered at Giardini Naxos. Didn't even go up to Taormina. Walked along the sea front and back to the tender station. A minutes walk to the tender boats was probably the best pizza restaurant I have been to. Empty when we arrived and full to bursting when we left. Brilliant!

Phil

In the future, I would love to see an all Sicily cruise. We've stopped at Giardini Naxos twice and would love to see it replaced with other ports. Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

Your 2 cents = priceless suggestion!

And a good idea for the next Azamara Asks query :)

Thank you.

Phil,

Sounds like an excellent shore excursion. Leisurely walk in a pretty seaside town followed by Pizza. Can you remember the name of the restaurant as we are calling here on the Journey in August.

With the help of Google Earth I found it! La Sirena Ristorante Pizzeria Pensione. Literally a minute from the tender dock. No chance to walk off lunch if you go straight back though;)

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

With the help of Google Earth I found it! La Sirena Ristorante Pizzeria Pensione. Literally a minute from the tender dock. No chance to walk off lunch if you go straight back though;)

Phil

We missed that restaurant, but a few years ago we were on a cruise that ported at at least 3 Sicilian towns. It actually was an itinerary that had to be redirected because of excitement in North Africa.

A wonderful experience, and truly lived up to the tag line: "Destination Immersion".

Would repeat it in a minute and eating that pizza would, no doubt, add immeasurably to that experience.

Edited by nordski

In the future, I would love to see an all Sicily cruise. We've stopped at Giardini Naxos twice and would love to see it replaced with other ports. Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

Our first Azamara cruise almost met that criteria. In October 2012 (needing a vacation after surviving our only daughter's wedding at the end of September), we took a Barcelona to Rome cruise that had four stops in Italy (Palermo, Trapani, Porto Empedocle, and Catania), as well as a port day at each of Valetta, Salerno, and Port Mahon as well as two nights in Sorrento.

For us archeological ruins fans, that itinerary provided us the opportunity to enjoy Selinunte, Agrigento, Syracusa, Paestum and the Naples Archaelogcial Museum all in one trip!

I found out later that the reason there were four port stops in Sicily was that some were substitutions for earlier-cancelled port stops in Libya.

Whatever the reason, it was a fantastic first Azamara experience, and the retired professor onboard was a fabulous history lecturer as well.

Edited by CintiPam