Hurtigruten questions

leslie drew

We are departing on a 12 day trip on May 5.

1) Does anyone know if dinner is served on the first night? We sail at 8 PM and I think dinner hours are 630 - 900.

2) Are the public rooms generally cool, warm, stuffy, or ??? I can figure out what to pack for outdoors but am unsure about what to expect inside. I've found that sometimes one gets cool weather but hot rooms ... or, hot weather and cold rooms.

3) Any advice on shore excursions? Something we shouldn't miss? Or, were any a real waste?

4) Anything else we should know?

Thanks for your help!

Dinner on the first night consists of a buffet.

Unable to comment on public rooms as I presume you are on one of the modern ships. In February on the Nordstjernen the lounges could be rather chilly at times and at other times a little warm!

Excursions; I took Alesund, Trondheim Nideros Cathedral and North Cape. I found both Alesund and North Cape well worth doing with the excursion. Nideros, as I posted elsewhere, if possible go there independently. The Cathedral guide was 110% but the tour guide was imo 25%. Other trips I wanted were cancelled due to lack of participants.

I am sure you will enjoy Norway, have a great time. I am already considering going back next year on the other old ship (Lofoten).

If you are going round trip, the North Cape excursion on the Southbound trip is excellent. The only visitors at the Cape at that time are fellow passengars from the Hurtigruten (instead of many cruise ships), and you have breakfast at the North Cape, then a beautiful coach trip to meet up with the ship in Hammerfest. I'd also recommend the Atlantic Road excursion on the Southbound trip (beautiful trip including bridges, coastline and an interesting fish dinner. You can visit Trondheim Cathedral on your own (purchase a small guide brochure at the Visitor Center). It is an interesting walk through Trondheim from the ship to the Cathedral. You can book the excursions after you board the ship in Bergen. May is a great time for the cruise although it will be chilly especially in the North.

Like other posters have stated the first nite is a buffet and very good as we took the 12 niter in Nov.08.

Dress in layers so that if it gets to warm take a layer off and too cool add anothe layer. Besure to bring a hat and gloves and a scarf. They will still have snow on the ground on the northern most part of your trip.

The north cape is not to be missed. You can do many of the side trips on your own, but do not miss the ship - they do not wait . In Trondheim you may want to buy a very good used sweater at one of there second hand stores. Very cost effective...

Just remember everything in Norway is expensive. Anything else we will try to answer. What ship are you on?

Bruton Branch:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are leaving on the 18th for the round trip on the Richard With. What can you tell us about bringing alchol on board,is it OK? Also, how difficult is it to use the computers on board and what do they cost? Are there enough for everyone or is there a long wait for one?

Thanks,Coleridge

Like other posters have stated the first nite is a buffet and very good as we took the 12 niter in Nov.08.

Dress in layers so that if it gets to warm take a layer off and too cool add anothe layer. Besure to bring a hat and gloves and a scarf. They will still have snow on the ground on the northern most part of your trip.

The north cape is not to be missed. You can do many of the side trips on your own, but do not miss the ship - they do not wait . In Trondheim you may want to buy a very good used sweater at one of there second hand stores. Very cost effective...

Just remember everything in Norway is expensive. Anything else we will try to answer. What ship are you on?

Reply to Coleridge

We did not use the computers on board as they were verrrry slow, but did use the computer in port stops that lasted longer than thirty minutes = there area few such stops - not many.

As for the liquor no problem. We did place it in the refrig in our cabin to keep it out of sight. Remember liquor is verry expensive in Norway and the liquor store are gov't run with set prices and times. We flew in from US to Amsterdam then on to Bergen. At that time we could buy liquor in Amsterdam airport and it was placed in a security bag that was sealed and we were allowed to go thru to our continuing flight to Norway. Do not know what the rules are now....

Have agreat trip. The best rate of exchange was across from the fish market in Bergen at the gov't tourist info center

• 2 months later...
we are planning a Hurtigruten cruise in April 2011 anyone else going?

Hi Cally, yes we are cruising from Bergen round trip on this date, when are you going?? We are from australia, so are expecting really cold weather especially north of the artic circle and coming out of summer for us, we will feel it. Have always wanted to do this trip and really looking forward to it. Let us know when you are going. Cheers Wendy and David:)

Archived