Hobart - Can you tour on your own

kibutzer

We will be going to Hobart as well in a few weeks, it will be our 2nd time there! On our first trip 3 years ago we rented a car and found it easy to drive around, so we have rented a car again using Thrifty Car Rental. It will cost us $45 (AUD) for the day and the rental company is within a 5-10 minute walking distance of the port.

We always prefer to rent a car at most of our cruise ports and tour on our own vs. doing the pricey ship excursions.

Hope this helps!

We will be in Hobart in a couple of weeks and want to know if we need to have a tour to enjoy the sights of Hobart. We know we don't want to get a rent car and do not want to do a ship tour.

Really appreciate your thoughts.

Yes, you can easily tour Hobart on your own.

Attached is a link to Museums and Art Galleries, from which you can click on "other things to do" as well -

http://www.hobarttravelcentre.com.au/things_to_do/1515097&view=1&deals=&k=&r=Hobart%20and%20Surrounds

• 2 weeks later...

Hobart Tour-3/29/13 RCCL-Leaves Perth-3/22/13

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

Six seats open for Hobart tour (March 29th, 2013). Heather will pick us up in a van at the dock. The itinerary is as follows: Pick-up 11 AM, return to ship at about 6 PM, you pay for your own lunch

Russell Falls

The country side as we drive

Mt Field which is west of Hobart (90 minutes)

Bonorong-$20 AU dollars if we have 10 people, otherwise $24/person

Richmond

Hobart City tour and harbor views

Charges: $80 AU dollars for tour plus $24 AU dollars for Bonorong-Highest Expected highest total for tour: $104 AU dollars.

Kathryn 22

Hobart Tour-3/29/13 RCCL-Leaves Perth-3/22/13

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

Six seats open for Hobart tour (March 29th, 2013). Heather will pick us up in a van at the dock. The itinerary is as follows: Pick-up 11 AM, return to ship at about 6 PM, you pay for your own lunch

Russell Falls

Bonorong-$20 AU dollars if we have 10 people, otherwise $24/person

Richmond

Charges: $80 AU dollars for tour plus $24 AU dollars for Bonorong-Highest Expected highest total for tour: $104 AU dollars.

Kathryn 22

:confused: Think this was meant for your roll call - good trip anyway - ask if they can include Cascade brewery.

Hello,

Tas Tours

Six seats open for Hobart tour (March 29th, 2013). Heather will pick us up in a van at the dock. The itinerary is as follows:

Pick-up 11 AM, return to ship at about 6 PM, you pay for your own lunch

Russell Falls

Bonorong-$18 entrance fee, normal fee is $24/person

Richmond

Cost of tour $98/person (AU dollars). Cruise passengers may want to remember that March 29th is Good Friday in Hobart and renting a car based upon our inquiries may require going to the airport car rental station because some of the local car rental agencies are closed.

Kathryn22

We are going to be at Hobart, Dec. 31st. We are renting a car and sight seeing on our own. We are comfortable renting vehicles. I have been researching the different areas to drive to. On my list is Mount Wellington, Mount Nelson, Mt. Field National Park, and Bonorong Wildlife Park. Is this a good list of things of things to see. We like seeing wildlife and great views of nature. Is there anything that I'm missing?

Thanks

We are going to be at Hobart, Dec. 31st. We are renting a car and sight seeing on our own. We are comfortable renting vehicles. I have been researching the different areas to drive to. On my list is Mount Wellington, Mount Nelson, Mt. Field National Park, and Bonorong Wildlife Park. Is this a good list of things of things to see. We like seeing wildlife and great views of nature. Is there anything that I'm missing?

Thanks

All of those spots can be done in a day. If you have time, consider driving to the Port Arthur region as there are some wonderful scenic coastal views from the peninsula just before Port Arthur on the Eastern side.

Hobart will be quite a buzz at that time as there will be many ocean racing yachts arrived from The Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race.

Thanks

Watch out for the wildlife in My Field National Park. We saw several wallabies but if you are too noisy or not very observant you will not see them. Bonorong Wildlife Park is great. Enjoy feeding the kangaroos. Lots of joeys and hopefully the heads will be sticking out rather than the hind legs and tail.:D

I live in Hobart, so happy to answer any questions anyone has....Mt Wellington, Bonorong Park, Mt Field National Park are all easy driving from Hobart, might want to visit Richmond, a nice little town with gift shops, cafes, old Australian history...I wouldnt say Mt Nelson would be on my list, see more from the top of Mt Wellington and its just a city suburb.

I would include Port Arthur, one of Tasmania's convict historical sites ....Tahune Air Walk this is about 90 minutes drive from Hobart, beautiful scenery and rainforests.....Cascade Brewery, only a few minutes drive from the city centre, with Mt Wellington as its backdrop, Australia's oldest operating brewery, they do tours with tastings and have a nice cafe/bar/restaurant there and gift shop....Salamanca Place, in the docks area, lovely little shops, restaurants and bars and saturday market is internationally famous...many more options, Hobart is a lovely place, sitting on the Derwent River with Mt Wellington behind it.

Debbie

Thank you so much for the information!!! I am so excited about visiting Hobart!!

Steph

Just checked on the date you were going to be here, from the 29th Dec to I think about 3rd Januruay each year, we have a festival thats called 'Taste of Tasmania', its located in the wharf area, loads of local restaurants/brewers/wine makers/local producers have stands and plenty of entertainers, free to enter and open from about 10-10 each day, its loads of fun and a great place to try our local cuisine...the best seafood...raspberries etc

http://www.tastefestival.com.au/

Also at that time of year Hobart its the finishing point for a few major yacht races, most famous being The Sydney to Hobart ..that usually finishes from the 28th Dec onwards and the wharf area is usually pretty lively over the holiday period with all of this going on, its a great place to spend the day.

http://rolexsydneyhobart.com/

Archived