New to Azamara, questions, please help.

welshfamily

We have just booked our first cruise on the Journey. We are Elite with Celebrity.

Could more experienced cruisers please help with some information.

We have booked flights and a pre cruise hotel, just for one night, with Azamara.

How does Azamara arrange transfers to the ship? And when will we find out? Also what time is the safety drill held?

We would like to visit the spice market. We sail at 7.30pm. We usually use taxi's to the port but have read on these boards that Azamara boards by deck. We are midship on deck 7. Would more experienced Azamara cruisers recommend we board the ship ASAP and then get straight off to visit the market or can we send our luggage to the ship and follow on later?

Should we book the speciality restaurant on line or are we safe waiting until we board to make arrangements? We don't have a preference for a particular night.

Should we buy a drinks package? We don't drink a huge amount but can't find a price list online. We do like good coffee, soft drinks and plenty of water.

Thank you

Congratulations on booking your first Azamara cruise. I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

Azamara transfers are usually by coach but you may not find out the time of pick up until you are at your hotel. However Azamara do not board by deck and check in normally is trouble free as Journey is a much smaller ship than those in the Celebrity fleet.

It is not possible to book speciality restaurants online but I do suggest you do it soon after embarkation.

I do not know if you should purchase a drinks package but some spirits, a variety of cocktails, some wines, coffee, soft drinks and water are all included.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to your first Azamara cruise. All guest being transferred will be taken to the port at the same time regardless of the deck their room is on. Our experience to date is that this transfer usually gets you on board just before lunch so you will have time to come off and explore.

The only caveat might be, are you in a country where the local authorities allow "re entry" as technically you leave the country when you board

Hi welshfamily. There should be a letter waiting for you at the hotel with the details of times for the transfer. There should also be a rep at the hotel in the morning to guide you, but just have your luggage ready in the lobby at the allotted time. Then just make your way to the transport. I always like to check they put my luggage on the bus! Normally the transfer will be about 11am - 11.30 depending on what hotels are involved and where the port is. Azamara don't board by decks.

I'd be inclined to check in, have a bite to eat if you want and then go back off the ship. If you sail at 7pm then the drill will probably be at 4.30 or thereabouts so be back in time for that. The time will be detailed in the welcome Pursuits letter you get on boarding.

You can't book the Specialties on line like you can on Celebrity, but most probably there will be a desk immediately after check in to buy packages and make reservations. Each dinner there is $25, but they also do three and four dinner packages that work out at $20.

From what you say I don't think a drinks package would be worth it. The select pour spirits and daily wines I have found to be fine. Sodas and water are free onboard unless you like Perrier/San Pelligrino and the like.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

Thank you all.

We are excited I must admit. We have been looking at Azamara for a while but have stuck with Celebrity as we have been very happy with Blu and Aqua. However we have visited a lot of the common European ports and therefore Azamara has more appeal.

Could anyone tell us what soft drinks are available?

We are looking for a relaxing holiday with good food and interesting people. Last year we struggled on occasion to find some peace and quiet on Celebrity and finding a sun bed after 9am was a bit like winning the lottery. We hope Azamara might be able to offer us something different or at least a chance of a sunbed.

Friends have remarked that the average cruiser is older on Azamara however it is our daughter, a 28 year old teacher, who has pushed for the change hoping for very few children and adults who are interesting.

Uktog,

Did we meet on the July Baltic cruise several years ago on the Eclipse ?

Apologies if this is not you.

Thank you all.

We are excited I must admit. We have been looking at Azamara for a while but have stuck with Celebrity as we have been very happy with Blu and Aqua. However we have visited a lot of the common European ports and therefore Azamara has more appeal.

Could anyone tell us what soft drinks are available?

We are looking for a relaxing holiday with good food and interesting people. Last year we struggled on occasion to find some peace and quiet on Celebrity and finding a sun bed after 9am was a bit like winning the lottery. We hope Azamara might be able to offer us something different or at least a chance of a sunbed.

Friends have remarked that the average cruiser is older on Azamara however it is our daughter, a 28 year old teacher, who has pushed for the change hoping for very few children and adults who are interesting.

Uktog,

Did we meet on the July Baltic cruise several years ago on the Eclipse ?

Apologies if this is not you.

Hi

We did Baltics on Constellation, a Eclipse was twice in the Med.

Soft drinks include freshly squeezed oj in the morning, the usual Cokes, Sprite etc, lovely yummy Virgin cocktails etc

Never had a sunbed problem, the children who are around are never a problem, they are more "young adults" than children

Complimentary drinks listed on the Azamara website:

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/booked-guests/onboard-packages/complimentary-beverages

On the right side you will see pricing for premium alcohol, water etc, but if you are happy with "standard" water rather than premium there is no need to buy. Bottles of "standard" are usually put in your cabin and replenished, also soft drinks, and water also available to pick up close to the gangway as you exit.

OP, check out the recent thread entitled Azamara Quest photos for answers to many of your questions. A list of soft drinks and free alcoholic drinks is among the information provided in this fantastic thread.

I don't know which is your port of embarkation. You mention the Spice Market so it could be Istanbul. You might be able to board around noon and thus have your luggage on its way to your cabin and leave for a bit more sightseeing before departure. You would have a multiple entry visa because you are flying into Istanbul (if I'm correct as to the port) and technically would be able to leave the ship. But perhaps someone who has tried to do this in Istanbul can offer you guidance (or Bonnie might find out for you) on whether you can request your passport back (if it is collected on embarkation) and go to the Spice Market for a couple of hours.

Regarding the very comfortable pool lounge chairs, we never had had problems finding a pair, even on full cruises. There's an announcement on the daily newspaper regarding not leaving personal items unattended for more than half an hour or your belongings will be removed, but again, I have not seen this done.

Enjoy your cruise!

We took a Crystal cruise from Istanbul, flying in beforehand and staying at a hotel. On the day of the cruise we checked our luggage in and boarded the ship, and lunch, and then came back off to sightsee until closer to sail away. Crystal didn't take our passports, so this was no problem. The taxi from our hotel to the ship took a long time, and confirmed our experience that the only way to navigate Istanbul as a tourist is by the wonderful Tram.

OP, check out the recent thread entitled Azamara Quest photos for answers to many of your questions. A list of soft drinks and free alcoholic drinks is among the information provided in this fantastic thread.

Here is the link to the Quest photo thread. I'm sure you'll find it a great help. I sure did! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2151097

Garry

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know which is your port of embarkation. You mention the Spice Market so it could be Istanbul. You might be able to board around noon and thus have your luggage on its way to your cabin and leave for a bit more sightseeing before departure. You would have a multiple entry visa because you are flying into Istanbul (if I'm correct as to the port) and technically would be able to leave the ship. But perhaps someone who has tried to do this in Istanbul can offer you guidance (or Bonnie might find out for you) on whether you can request your passport back (if it is collected on embarkation) and go to the Spice Market for a couple of hours.

Regarding the very comfortable pool lounge chairs, we never had had problems finding a pair, even on full cruises. There's an announcement on the daily newspaper regarding not leaving personal items unattended for more than half an hour or your belongings will be removed, but again, I have not seen this done.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for this little tip. Booked my first Azamara cruise today. Got a couple of years to read through the threads here. Karyn's gave me a real jump start!

Denise

Hi Welsh,

I'm not an experienced Azamara cruiser, but we just returned from Istanbul. The spice market is not far, but traffic can get CRAZY, so leave yourself plenty of time if you take a taxi anywhere. I would recommend taking public transit, as others have mentioned the tram is a good option. I'm sure the folks on AZ can point you to the place to get it closest to the ship.

Another fun option would be to take a ferry across the Bosporous to the Asian side, (Karakoy or Uskadar) if the ferry runs a circle route, you can just ride back and disembark at Eminonu or get off on the Asian side just to take another ferry to Eminonu. The spice market is just across the street from this ferry terminal, as is the Mother In Laws Mosque which is well worth seeing. While on the ferry you'll get a beautiful view of the bridges, Palace and mosques in the old city from the water!

Have fun!

Edited by Familygoboston