Things to do with 9-year-old near Statue of Liberty?

nlooser

On Saturday, August 20, my wife, 9 year old son and I will be disembarking Anthem of the Seas. Our plan is to catch a cab to Hilton Penn Station NJ, drop our luggage, catch a train to NYC and see some of New York

We have 2pm Statue of Liberty pedestal tour tickets.

Does anyone have ideas for things to do near where the ferry boat takes off for a 9-year-old, either before or after the tour?

Also, any good/famous family restaurants in the area we should consider?

Thanks for any info provided!

-Nels

On Saturday, August 20, my wife, 9 year old son and I will be disembarking Anthem of the Seas. Our plan is to catch a cab to Hilton Penn Station NJ, drop our luggage, catch a train to NYC and see some of New York

We have 2pm Statue of Liberty pedestal tour tickets.

Does anyone have ideas for things to do near where the ferry boat takes off for a 9-year-old, either before or after the tour?

Also, any good/famous family restaurants in the area we should consider?

Thanks for any info provided!

-Nels

Is this your only day in New York or are you staying a second day?

From Newark Penn Station you take PATH to the World Trade Center in downtown Manhattan. The "train" you refer to would be NJ Transit, which goes from Newark Penn Station to New York Penn Station in midtown Manhattan. http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

The SOL ferry area is likely to be very busy on a Saturday in August. I'm thinking you should plan to get there by 1 pm to pick up tickets and get in line. It can be an interesting walk from World Trade to Battery Park. On Greenwich St you can access the 911 Memorial. Continue south on Greenwich to Liberty Street and go left one block to Trinity Place and make a right. On the left side of the street you will find an entrance to the Trinity Church cemetery, which you can cut through to get to Broadway. On Broadway you will be right by the end of Wall Street. Continue down Broadway to Bowling Green Park, cross the street to Battery Park, and cross the park to the SOL ferry.

Thanks. We will have one day in NYC pre cruise. That day we will go to the museum and see dinosaurs.

I appreciate the directions provided but I'm really looking for thoughts on things to do or places to eat with a nine year old boy near SOL.

Two links for ideas:

Battery Park http://www.thebattery.org/the-battery/

There is a cool looking carousel.

Battery Park City (you probably won't go for north of the Battery) http://mommypoppins.com/content/battery-park-city-with-kids-best-25-things-to-do-in-this-corner-of-lower-manhattan-including

At least gives you some ideas.

There are a number of high/higher end places to eat in the Financial District. I don't spend much time down there, but a quick Google search shows three or so burger places. I'm going to guess there's a good pizza place or two in the area, and it looks like Battery Park City has grown up quite a bit.

How about taking him to Chinatown? Everything is in Chinese and the kids like it. Plus you can get a meal at reasonable prices. The kid friendly restaurants are usually in midtown.

Edited by Got2Cruise

What's your timeline? What time do you plan to actually walk off the ship?

Add a half hour to get your luggage and get through customs/immigration. Add another half hour to get to the Hilton. Add another half hour to check in, drop your luggage, walk across the sky bridge to Newark Penn Station, and buy PATH tickets.

PATH runs every 20 min on Sat, so figure 30 min to get to the World Trade Center. Add another 30 min to get out of World Trade and walk down to the SOL ferry. http://www.panynj.gov/path/full-schedules.cfm

So far that's about 2.5 hours, maybe less if you don't hit any snags. How much time do you have left for lunch if you need to be in the SOL line at 1:00-1:30?

If you're pressed for time there will be street food vendors in that area and you can buy fairly reasonable concession food on the SOL ferry itself.

You should also look at South Street Seaport - http://www.southstreetseaport.com/restaurant-directory/

Much of Southstreet seaport is still under construction, was there 2 weeks ago, Frances tavern where Washington gave farewell address might be a good spot for lunch, just a couple of blocks from ferry, as said World trade center, also Trinity church and already said Battery park ( there is a old fort in the park)

Battery Park itself still has not recovered from Hurricane Sandy and is a bit of a construction zone still. I don't consider it a particularly nice park since it is still all torn up.

Near Battery Park which is where the ferry to statue of liberty goes are two fun options for a 9 year old. The Staten Island Ferry is free and it takes 60 to 90 minutes to get there and back (25 minute boat ride, but you must disembark on Staten Island). The views are good. A more expensive option is a helicopter tour. Those leave near the ferry terminal.

Ellis Island can be interesting if your kid likes museums. It might be a bit too mature for him, but can be interesting depending on attention span. The 9/11 reflecting ponds are worth a visit. It is a beautiful area now even if your kid doesn't understand the significance. The 9/11 museum and memorial might be a bit too mature for a 9 year old.

The Brooklyn bridge is relatively close. You can walk along it or rent bikes and try not to crash. If you have a couple hours, I'd suggest walking past the 9/11 ponds and over to the Brooklyn bridge and city hall. It is all relatively close and walkable.

It sounds like you are going to the Natural History Museum to see the dinosaurs. Some people love it and can spend a whole day there. Another recommendation for a 9 year old is the interpid museum. It is an old aircraft carrier turned into an airplane museum that also has a submarine that you can walk through. It is a great museum especially for your kid if you have time. It's near the manhattan cruise terminal up near Hells Kitchen so it is far away from Battery Park.

As far as food goes, my suggestion in New York city is either eat cheap food or expensive food. Mid priced restaurants tend to have tiny tables poor service and low quality food unless you are at an unconventional ethnic type place (think Cambodian, Sri Lankan or Afghani, etc). If you are looking for lunch, you definitely should try a pizza place. They are everywhere. Grotto Pizza is good. Lower Manhattan has plenty of options but does not have as many incredible options as midtown. Just make sure you don't eat at a brand you recognize from back home (don't you dare go to a Chipotle, McDonalds or TGI Fridays, etc). Remember that New Yorkers move fast, talk fast, order fast and skip the pleasantries, so the abrupt service that New Yorkers expect sometimes comes across as rude to people from out of town.

NYC has a zillion restaurants, just don't pick a chain. Menus are usually on front windows. I don't think you will have much free time before getting on the ferry. Don't take the Staten Island ferry, since you are taking a ferry to the SOL. Definitely get off on Ellis island.

You can also ride the Staten Island Ferry.

Or for some history lessons visit the old Alexander Hamilton Custom House at the foot of Broadway which is now a Smithsonian Museum of the American Indian (also houses Bankruptcy Court wow what a coincidence).

Walk up Broadway or the Canyon of Heroes (note even and odd numbers on both side of the street, nobody was going to live north of City Hall) past the old shipping houses (booking classes still in stone over the doors, you are in Steerage on your cruise?) to Federal Hall (ya more history) on, yes Wall Street.

The city is full of adventure for any age.

Battery Park while still not recovered does have a playground if the youngster has some spare energy after all that travel.

Depending on your time constraints just go over to the freedom tower observation deck. It's. Very very nice and gives an incredible view and he will love it

Very historical

You must pre book timed admission tickets and the entire deal probably takes 90 minutes start to finish

No clue what time your flight is but doing this at 11 am makes sense if you debark early

Also this is a special thing to do on your pre cruise day as well

It open very late and it would still be light out at 7 pm in August.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Or for some history lessons visit the old Alexander Hamilton Custom House at the foot of Broadway which is now a Smithsonian Museum of the American Indian (also houses Bankruptcy Court wow what a coincidence).

Walk up Broadway or the Canyon of Heroes (note even and odd numbers on both side of the street, nobody was going to live north of City Hall) past the old shipping houses (booking classes still in stone over the doors, you are in Steerage on your cruise?) to Federal Hall (ya more history) on, yes Wall Street.

The city is full of adventure for any age.

Battery Park while still not recovered does have a playground if the youngster has some spare energy after all that travel.

I agree federal hall is great and free

Trinity church ( national treasure fame)

Chinatown

Little Italy

Fraunces Tavern has a small museum on the upper level. Admission charge is minimal. Your 9 yr old will probably love the exhibits which include a lock of George Washingtons hair and a fragment of his tooth. Current temporary exhibit on Lafayette including his dueling pistols. If you look carefully you can see spots of blood on his uniform sash..

There are lots of inexpensive and yummy pizza places nearby. However if you want a treat eat in the landmark tavern and hoist a pint of Samuel Fraunces brew to toast the founding fathers who frequented this establishment.

The building is considered the oldest in Manhattan built by the Delancey family as a private home in 1719. Sam Fraunces bought it in 1762. As they say, the rest is history