Luggage weight/size concerns

whynotnow

We'll be flying from South Carolina to Los Angeles (Continental) and then on to Auckland (Quantas) for our Sapphire Princess 4/2/08 cruise and I'm really getting concerned about the differences in luggage allowance. Because of the Quantas 7 kgs. (about 14 lbs.) weight restriction for carry ons, we will have to put our heavier items in our checked in luggage.

This will be a month long trip for us as we're flying down early and staying in Australia for almost 2 weeks when we get off the ship.

For those who have flown from the US to New Zealand and Australia, did you have any problems with the size and/or weight of your luggage or your carry on piece? What size/type luggage/carry on did you use?

Thanks!

We have done the opposite to you. We flew from Melbourne on to Canada and did a cruise for 35 days and then spent more time in the U.S. We were away for over 6 weeks.

The luggage that can be used for the hold must not weigh more than 22kgs per case if you are flying Economy. If you are flying Business you are allowed no more than 30kg per case.

You are allowed 2 cases per person when flying from the U.S. to here. When we fly to Europe in Economy or Business Class, we are only allowed one piece of luggage each to go in the hold and that cannot be heavier than 22kg. (30kg for Business). It can be done and we have done it many times. In fact we have just returned from a 5 week trip in Ireland and Italy with completely different climates.

There is also a restriction on how big the luggage can be. I think it must be no more than a 71cm case.

Here is the website for Qantas checked baggage requirements:

http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying/beforeYouTravel/baggageChecked

and here is the website for the carry on baggage:

http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying/beforeYouTravel/baggageCarryOn

I presume you are coming in our summer time. That means that most of your clothing will be lightweight and therefore you will be able to fit more into your cases. Cut down on your shoes, they are the heaviest and take up a lot of the weight.

We have cruised many times and then spent weeks sightseeing with one case of checked baggage each and our carry on bags. You just need to try and mix and match your clothes and not bring your entire wardrobe.

Jennie

I have never seen carry ons weighed ... while a maximum weight is specified, I think it may only be questioned if you are seen to be having trouble carrying it.

The size of the bag is more an issue since they have to fit into the overhead lockers. Qantas says carry on bags (one each) cannot exceed 45 inches (length + width + depth) is size and this is a fairly big bag in which to carry your personal effects, valuables and a clothing change. Allowances on domestic flights/sirlines are often less than this, so you should check on your US flight.

You can also take up to 2 checked bags - on Qantas they can't exceed 32kg (70lb) but US airlines I think have a lower weight limit ... 50lb I think. Maximum bag dimensions are usually 158cm (62inches) but on Qantas I know that the bags in total can't exceed 270cm (106in) which means you have to take one big and one smaller bag.

Problem of course is that you have to lug all these bags to/from airports and to/from the ship. So best in my view to pack light and take less than the maximum. Always a challenge though getting my DW to conform!! On our last trip when we were away for a little over 3 weeks including a cruise, we managed to get away with taking one large suitcase and a big carry on bag (as big as we could easily handle) each. For our trip home, though, an extra suitcase mysteriously appeared for me to lug ... bought at the flea markets so that she (but really me) could carry all her US purchases back home!!

Cheers

Bob

I've never seen carry-on luggage weighed before either. Has anyone out there ever seen carry-ons weighed? If so, what airline?

I'm not a rule breaker. When we went to the Galapagos DH an I were very dilligent in sticking to our 30 lb. limit. We even went out and bought new lightweight luggage. You can imagine our dismay when we saw people boarding with several peices of luggage that were obviously very heavy.

I always try to pack a weeks worth of clothing in my carry-on (even a long dress) but I think that gets me up to about 20 lbs. That's why I am asking about whether or not they weigh the bag.

Thanks

We have seen carry on luggage weighed and that was in Europe when we were boarding a cheaper airline from Venice to Rome.

More common is the checking of the size and height of carry on luggage. At all our airports here in Australia, there is a model that your carry on luggage should fit. If it doesn't fit, it is supposed to go into the hold. Some of our airlines are stricter than others with the size of cabin luggage.

If you are carrying heavy carry on luggage, you will have to pretend it is as light as a feather otherwise you will be caught out especially when you go to put it up in the locker.

Jennie

I've never seen carry-on luggage weighed before either. Has anyone out there ever seen carry-ons weighed? If so, what airline?

Thanks

I had my carry on weighed and measured 2 years ago flying LAX to Paris on Air France. I was overweight on the carry-on, so I took my water bottle out and put it in my pocket and they let me go. Go figure!

I had my carry on weighed and measured 2 years ago flying LAX to Paris on Air France. I was overweight on the carry-on, so I took my water bottle out and put it in my pocket and they let me go. Go figure!

We had the same thing happen with Air France. They actually had a bathroom scale right at the gate. They insisted on putting my carryon bag in the hold, and it had several perishable food items (things not available in Germany, where we live) in it. Guess which piece of luggage didn't reach our destination with us? And by the time it arrived, I was able to throw all the goodies out!

As we prepare for up to 4 weeks in Australia, we have some real concerns about weight. I scuba dive and do underwater photography. My wife snorkels and takes underwater pictures as well. For obvious reasons, this camera equipment is never placed in our luggage but is placed in my carry-on.

I use a less-than-maximum size carry-on for U.S. flights but with all of this equipment inside it weighs about 45 lbs, (20kgs), which is way over the 7kg limit. I don't know how I'll be able to reduce this, since it weighs what it weighs and leaving out items means the equipment is useless. Putting it in checked baggage likely means it will be broken or I'll never see it again.

I'm working hard at trying to figure this one out.

Yes - Qantas.

Qantas doesn't do it very often. In fact, I think I've only ever seen it two or three times in the last 15½ years. But I have seen it happen.

What size/type luggage/carry on did you use?
I use a laptop rucksack. (Although I don't own a laptop, the laptop compartment is very useful for keeping paperwork in order and also the right size for stowing magazines.) I have never had a problem with this. It allows me to take all my photographic stuff, plus my noise reducing headphones if I think I might use them (although I rarely do!). And for the flights to Australia, I usually put a couple of changes of top and underwear in as well, so I can have some clean clothes after showering.

But I cannot imagine trying to pack a week's clothes into a carry-on bag. That is not what carry-on luggage is for!

Thanks for all of your responses.

One other question......"personal item" ......I know most women probably carry a purse, but I was thinking of carrying a med. size backpack instead of a purse. Kind of like a Jansport bookbag. Do you think that will fly? (pardon the pun)

10X - we were diving back in the 80's & 90's. I would hate to have the problem with flying with all that gear and camera equipment in this day & time. Back then the underwater housing for the video camera alone weighed a ton!

Should be no problem. I have a carry on. In this I put medicine (we both take a lot), jewelry, one change of underware, and cell phone charger, battery charger for camera, etc. And for my purse - I use what is called a Tote Bag. In it, I put my "real" purse, camera bag, reading material, a light sweater or jacket, a couple of snacks bought in the airport, etc. Have never had anything weighed, other than checked bags.

Happy Traveling.....

Thank you all for your responses. The difference in weight/size luggage for flying within the US versus flying overseas was putting me in a quandary but I think we're going to be okay. From the time we get on the first plane till we land in Auckland, we will have been travelling for 27 hours on 3 flights with 2 different airlines and I have visions of our check in luggage being anywhere but where we are. It happened to us once before when we flew non-stop to the ship port and we didn't get our checked luggage till the 4th day of our cruise.

Last night I bought a quilted duffle type bag to use for my carry on. It easily holds a few changes of clothing, my jewelry,medication, and camera and when packed, weighs a little under the maxiumum allowed and it meets the dimensions restriction. My husband will use a canvas tote bag we have to carry binoculars and some clothing. Each will hold a good amount and are much lighter in weight than our rolling carry on suitcases that we use for domestic flights.

I measured both of our check in luggage pieces and we will be able to use the smaller, 28" ones, plus if we need them, we can use our rolling carry on suitcases as check ins. Tuxedo, 2 gowns, dresses, remainder of clothing and shoes will go in these. With each of us using these 2 pieces, it will get us each just under the size maxiumum. Since we are limited to 50 pounds per check in piece in the US, weight for overseas won't be a concern.

For those of you with scuba diving and heavy camera equipment, can you possibly have it inspected in your presence and then secure it before it goes with the checked pieces?

Thank you all again.

10X:

Have you considered renting the gear you need when you get there?

Think you'd be a lot better off and the travelers sitting around you on the flights would be happier.

JMHO

Jim

I already plan on renting my dive equipment, but you just don't change cameras in mid-stream like that.

It takes a lot of practice to know your camera and how to instinctively work it while underwater so using it topside is a must. Underwater critters won't just stop a pose while you try to figure out how to work a new camera.

Most underwater shots are taken using the full manual controls, so you must be able to change shutter speed and aperture settings on the fly (that's why all the practice). And that's just the camera, now add an underwater strobe to that and .........

I'm not sure how having camera gear packed in a carry-on affects passengers sitting around me. ?????? The carry-on is simply placed in the over head bin and other passengers only see me put in and take it out. I can't figure out how this affects them whatsoever.

I'm not sure how having camera gear packed in a carry-on affects passengers sitting around me. ?????? The carry-on is simply placed in the over head bin and other passengers only see me put in and take it out. I can't figure out how this affects them whatsoever.
If you really need to ask:-

Too much stuff taken on by too many passengers means not enough room for everyone; overhead bins stuffed to (and beyond) the limit; and some passengers having their carry-on baggage forcibly checked and placed in the hold irrespective of its contents, their value, or the passenger's need for those contents (eg medicines).

Heavy baggage in the overhead bins is also the number one cause of injury to airline passengers. Forget crashes and hijacks - if you're going to get hurt when flying, it'll be when something falls out onto your head.

As we prepare for up to 4 weeks in Australia, we have some real concerns about weight. I scuba dive and do underwater photography. My wife snorkels and takes underwater pictures as well. For obvious reasons, this camera equipment is never placed in our luggage but is placed in my carry-on.

I use a less-than-maximum size carry-on for U.S. flights but with all of this equipment inside it weighs about 45 lbs, (20kgs), which is way over the 7kg limit. I don't know how I'll be able to reduce this, since it weighs what it weighs and leaving out items means the equipment is useless. Putting it in checked baggage likely means it will be broken or I'll never see it again.

I'm working hard at trying to figure this one out.

I had to laugh at your description "I take photographs, my wife takes pictures" I would be insulted.

You both get 7kg so that's 14kg. You can take a personal bag too. I take a handbag or if I have too much luggage a small backpack. I have had cabin bags weighed but only twice in hundreds of trips.

Airlines are getting more weight conscious due to excessive fuel prices. Extra weight costs money.

Is there none of the equipment that could be checked?

Good luck.

If you really need to ask:-

Too much stuff taken on by too many passengers means not enough room for everyone; overhead bins stuffed to (and beyond) the limit; and some passengers having their carry-on baggage forcibly checked and placed in the hold irrespective of its contents, their value, or the passenger's need for those contents (eg medicines).

Heavy baggage in the overhead bins is also the number one cause of injury to airline passengers. Forget crashes and hijacks - if you're going to get hurt when flying, it'll be when something falls out onto your head.

Interesting, since I've been taking this stuff on U.S. domestic airlines for years without any problem. I'm not carrying excess bags, only excess weight by other airlines standards. It's not as if I'm taking everything I own in multiple bags as carry-ons. I take one bag that just happens to weigh more than the normal bag. I don't know why my 1 bag takes up more room than anyone else's 1 bag.

I take about 2 dozen flights per year and I have never seen a bag fall from an overhead compartment, including my bag.

Sayaguru - thanks for the advice. I'll work something out. It looks like I'll be taking two smaller bags rather than one regular sized one. Also, you're right - my wife takes pictures. True point and shoot, no composing whatsoever. In a one hour dive I might take 25 photos. My wife, while snorkeling, has taken as many as 185 in the same time frame.

Interesting, since I've been taking this stuff on U.S. domestic airlines for years without any problem.
Yes, but these are the airlines that are notorious throughout the world for having made "grabbing a bit of overhead locker space" into an Olympic sport! In much of the rest of the developed world, you can saunter on last and still find space in the overhead in which to stow your bag.

Several experiences from a SC resident -we just returned from NZ after cruising on Mercury and then a stop over in Queenstown on return to spend time with son (almost 4 weeks). We flew over with no issues with Air New Zealand. Had two 21 inch carry ons we use all the time on domestic airlines with enough to hold us over in case of baggage loss for a few days(wife's suitcase arrived 5 days into cruise - thanks US Air!). On return from Sydney to Queenstown Air New Zealand they did actually weigh all our checked luggage. When we boarded the flight, they keyed in on our carry-on suitcases, insisted on weighing our bags even though they were lighter than the trip from US to Auckland (which were permitted). They did not charge us but did check the pieces. The gate folks had no interest in delaying the flight to charge us but they did take our carry-on. They also indicated the size of the bags was not the issue. I should indicate my daughter's knapsack weighed considerably more than either carry-on bag but it was never questioned.

When we departed Queenstown on Air New Zealand for return to SC they weighed all our checked bags. We had the carry-ons even lighter and off to the side. The agent we checked in with had no issue but a rather nasty female agent next to him told him to weigh our carry-ons. They were both slightly over the 7 KG and we were charged 200 dollars NZ when they required us to check them! I boarded the flight and noticed that many pieces larger and obviously heavier than ours were being taken on board the aircraft, again including my daughter's knapsack.

Here's what I believe I have learned from this and previous international travel.

1. They seem very lax about carry-on when leaving the US.

2. They weigh all checked luggage for international flights going both ways.

3. Internationally, carry-on suitcases (even acceptable size) get much more scrutiny than knapsacks - I saw some on the flights that people had trouble lifting into the overhead and yet no one asked them about weight. I had always used a knapsack for carryon internationally in the past and never had a problem. I have learned my lesson. Hope this experience helps others. And you will love NZ/Australia!!

We'll be flying from South Carolina to Los Angeles (Continental) and then on to Auckland (Quantas) for our Sapphire Princess 4/2/08 cruise and I'm really getting concerned about the differences in luggage allowance. Because of the Quantas 7 kgs. (about 14 lbs.) weight restriction for carry ons, we will have to put our heavier items in our checked in luggage.

This will be a month long trip for us as we're flying down early and staying in Australia for almost 2 weeks when we get off the ship.

For those who have flown from the US to New Zealand and Australia, did you have any problems with the size and/or weight of your luggage or your carry on piece? What size/type luggage/carry on did you use?

Thanks!

"On return from Sydney to Queenstown Air New Zealand they did actually weigh all our checked luggage.

2. They weigh all checked luggage for international flights going both ways."

I have never ever left on a flight either domestically or internationally out of Australia where our checked luggage wasn't weighed. The same applies when we have flown to Asia, Pacific Islands, Europe or the U.S. Our checked luggage has always been put on the scales in every airport and weighed before being checked in.

Jennie

Hi Globaliser. Ive noticed you travel to Oz frequently, so could you tell me if you have flown Virgin airlines Sydney to Oz via Hong Kong recently, i am on the Sapphire in april, what i would like to know if they are Very Strict with the allowance of 23kgs plus 6kgs hand luggage, they quoted me almost £30 per kg excess, the quote for an extra 23kg suitcase was over £680- which is as much as i have paid for my return fare via LA [ booked last may], i assume i will be allowed 2 suitcases on my return via LA, i will be away about 6 weeks, and have never had to travel so lightly- but easier at my age to travel lighter- luggage weight- not so much body weight- but then thats another story!:D , hopefully can loose a lot of pounds in the next 13 weeks!!!!!!!. thanks, kind regards , audrey.:p :p

The rule down here is if you are flying from Europe or Asia to Australia, you are only allowed one checked suitcase and usually it is to be only 20kg. That is for all our airlines that fly between Australia, Asia and Europe. Obviously Virgin Atlantic lets you have a few kgs more. We have found Singapore airlines which also says that you are only allowed 20kg, does allow us up to 26kg without any penalities.

If you are flying directly from Austalia or New Zealand to L.A. then you are allowed that one extra piece of checked luggage which is a bonus.

Jennie

I take about 2 dozen flights per year and I have never seen a bag fall from an overhead compartment, including my bag.
Lucky you!!! I came close to having my skull crushed by a bag of duty free liquor a few flights back when the locker catch gave up the ghost. Believe me - it happens.

Archived