Female solo travelers??

BusyBlond

Any women out there cruise solo? I've cruised quite a few times, 15 to be exact. I normally travel with family, mostly my Dad since my Mom passed away. I'm considering taking a solo cruise next year. Kinda want to get some input from someone that has been there. Do you enjoy cruising alone? Do you ask to be seated at a large table at dinner to meet others? any tips and feedback would be appreciated.

I have cruised alone twice. Yes, I did ask for a large table so I could meet other cruisers. This worked out well. A solo cruise is wonderfully relaxing, you can do what you want, when you want. There is also enough to do on a cruise ship so you can have as much activity time as you want. But you could also have as much alone time as you want.

I think the most important thing as a female solo traveler is be invovlved. Be involved with your roll call, maybe even try to lead an excursion in port through a private tour company, definately hit the piano bar, good for solo travelers.

Ive done 4 solos already and another planned in september. I really like traveling solo as its all about me and i can be selfish to me....

thanks for your replies, I normally spend alot of time alone when I cruise with my Dad because he's strictly a straight to bed after dinner kind of guy. LOL Just kinda curious how easy it is to meet folks to hang out with.

It's easy to meet people, chat with them, but be prepared to not actually hang out with them unless they are a solo themselves. I've met people and couples, but couples unknowingly to them, tend to look at each other, say "are you ready?", and off they go saying "see you later!". They mean well, but don't realize they've just blown your hopes away.

Yes, some will write they've formed a friendship (I met a fellow solo that has remained a friend, and since been a cabin share twice), just don't plan on it.

It's nice to do what you want, when you want, but there are times it's nice to have someone to connect to, like mealtime.

I have been fortunate enough to have travelled extensively, including cruising, and always alone.

I am quite an introvert so am happy with my own company.

I love cruising - just returned from the Caribbean in fact. I am off to Asia later in the year.

I find cruising alone to be very safe and secure. Personally, I only go on ship organised tours - would not want any worries about late return to the ship.

I eat in the buffet - personal preference - and am always well treated. For me, sharing a table with strangers would be a complete torture.

Have a great time, and enjoy the freedom of a cabin to yourself and being able to do what you want, when you want :)

I have been thinking of going on a solo cruise.... This helped me alot... My husband passed away May 10th 2012 and I am going on a cruise April 20th 2013 with people i work with.... But im thinking of going on another cruise june solo... Thank you for the input....

I think i will book my cruise next week.....

I traveled solo once on carnival. I had a great table of solos and would hang out at night with a few of them. I would run into roll call people a lot and would sit with them at comedy shows or lounges. Most cruisers are super friendly and I had some great conversations at the pool in the afternoons. I even brought a bunch of books that I really never even had time to look at.

You should go for it!

Any women out there cruise solo?

I'm considering taking a solo cruise next year. Kinda want to get some input from someone that has been there.

Do you enjoy cruising alone? Do you ask to be seated at a large table at dinner to meet others?

any tips and feedback would be appreciated.

Yes I have and will do so again in the future. I also sometimes travel with my husband and friends.

I absolutely enjoy it, I enjoy traveling alone in general. As long as you have a sense of self and are open to meeting interesting people (on your own terms), and/or doing interesting things you'll have a great time.

Personally I travel on Norwegian, one of the reasons is to avoid forced association, but if you wanted to you could always ask to be seated at a table with others, and honestly you'll probably meet a ton of people that you'd already form ties with and thereby want to eat with.

I've not sailed on other lines but I believe that you can speak to the

Maitre D' about the type of table you'd like to be seated at i.e. with other solos, families etc.

My only advice is to keep your wits about you, never be afraid to put someone off that you don't want to associate with/hang around, whatever the reason, and don't drink to the point of not being able to handle yourself or get back to your room on your own. That's different amounts for different people.

I've lots of trip posts on some of my solo travels in my blog if you're looking for a more in depth view.

Have a wonderful trip!

I took my first solo cruise recently--a 15-day transatlantic cruise, after a number of cruises with former husband (back before he was a "former") and/or our kids. I had a wonderful, relaxing time.

I was a bit worried beforehand that I would be bored out of my skull being alone and having all those sea days, but I really only had a couple of moments of wishing I had someone to share things with. I did my airport transfer and several shore excursions through my Cruise Critic roll call, and met people that way...and I did anytime dining and asked to share a table most nights, although a few nights I did the buffet solo.

I do live alone so am used to being solo, and I travel alone for work a lot. So the time to myself was not a novelty for me! But I really enjoyed it. I found people to chat with pretty much wherever I went--shore excursions, the pools/hot tubs, dinner, jewelry-making classes, evening shows, etc. And yet I was able to do just what I wanted, when I felt like it, and it was great.

As long as you are comfortable being on your own, going to events on your own, etc., I think you'll have a great time on a solo cruise. Give it a try--maybe with a shorter cruise the first time, just to be safe in case it isn't to your liking! :)

Of the 17 cruise I've done, 14 have been solo and I much prefer that. For me the biggest advantage is the freedom to do whatever it is you feel like without guilt or compromise. If imwake up in a can't be bothered mood, I can decide to stay onboard or only go ashore for a short stroll without feeling I'm spoiling someone else's day and plans.

Like many others, I ask to be seated at a large table but also always go for second sitting becausenImprefr to eat late and more chance to be seated with couple or solos rather than families with young kids.

I also find the piano bar a great place to hang out. If I'm in a bar for a pre or post dinner drink, I'll often sit bat the bar itself - crew invariably chat to you.

I almost never do any kind of organised excursion because I hate being herded around in a big group and tied to a schedule. I'm much happier taking off on mynown to do what ever I wantnto do.

I do always look to see if there is a roll call or start one. Frequently there are any or not very active as the cruise lines Inuse are Italian and often there are very few passengers who speak English as a first language. However for some cruises, I've agreedbto meet upmwith others at the start and often hit itnoff with them. We don't do everything together but just meet up occasionally during the cruise drink or whatever.

I have *only* cruised solo, so I am a bit spoiled! I have no problem sharing a large table with strangers or sitting alone at dinner time.

On my very first cruise, I helped a beginning snorkeler during our excursion, and for a few days afterwards, he acted like we were on the cruise together. It took a few tries of ditching him before he got the message, but he was basically harmless (he didn't make a pass or anything), just a little lonely.

I hang out at the piano bar and haven't been to any of the shows for my last few cruises. Cruising solo allows you to do exactly what YOU want without having to consider anyone else (within reason - 'doh!). Sometimes that means decompressing in the cabin for some alone time. On my last cruise I met more people than usual because I tried to hit all of the trivia games (since many are team challenges). Any yeah baby, I am the proud winner of FOUR ships on a stick, woohooo! :D

I prefer any time dining but generally go early to avoid any lines. I just like to be able dine later on port days if I need to.

I don't latch onto an individual or couple or family, but if I am invited I will participate with them or join them (for a meal or game or show or ?) IF I WANT TO. That is the beauty of it, no obligations at all.

I say GO FOR IT!

I have only been on one cruise solo (a loooonnng time ago), and my next solo cruise is coming up in less than 2 months (yeah). However, I have traveled solo a lot, both for business and pleasure. I won't say I prefer to travel solo over traveling with a friend or family, but I do prefer it to staying home, and I've seen some great things and had some great experiences while traveling solo.

I will be doing a traditional dining - late seating - at a large table, with the hopes of finding interesting dining companions, but I'm also not opposed to room service in my cabin with my feet up, watching the ocean pass by. One lesson I've learned is that if you don't like the table you've been assigned to (if you do fixed, traditional dining), talk to the Maitre D' about being reassigned to another table - I wish I'd known that the first time.

Well, I think I'll definately look into a solo cruise next year. I travel solo quite often for work, so I'm totally comfortable traveling by myself. I think I will enjoy not having to worry if everyone else is having a good time. No just gotta find a cruise I can afford solo. LOL

I've been on several cruises as a solo as well as solo trips to vegas & D.C. and for me...I much prefer to travel solo...not having to adjust my schedule or plans to suit someone else...

On cruises I generally do My time dining at a table for 1...most of the tables are so close together that it is easy enough to enjoy some "light" conversation without being obligated to carry on a full conversation...

The biggest drawback to me is the added cost of going solo....but I just keep an eye out for cruises I feel are affordable and plan accordingly...

Any women out there cruise solo? I've cruised quite a few times, 15 to be exact. I normally travel with family, mostly my Dad since my Mom passed away. I'm considering taking a solo cruise next year. Kinda want to get some input from someone that has been there. Do you enjoy cruising alone? Do you ask to be seated at a large table at dinner to meet others? any tips and feedback would be appreciated.

Hi,

My last 2 cruises have been solo but never alone.

I hang out on CC and make friends through the roll calls so I have been lucky to make really good friends and so far have coincided our dates so we cruise at the same time. I either dine with them or other or alone.... my choice.... depends on the time, location etc. I love it. :D

Saling solo? It is the only way I sail:) I started cruising in May 2003 so

this year is 10 years:D.....I am going again in April and cannot wait:)

I have been on over 30 cruises and I have shared a cabin twice......

both times were years ago and after the 2nd time I realized I value

my own space too much to give it up again.

Everyone is different and has their own way of doing things. I usually

participate in the roll call and have met some wonderful people on

my cruises over the years. I don't care to be "tied at the hip" with

anyone though. I am very independent and love the "doing what I

want, when I want" thing that being solo gives me;) I am quite

outgoing and it is very easy for me to meet people so that is never

a problem. I can always find a good bartender:D

So to the question of enjoying it? More than just enjoy....I LOVE IT!:D

I've been on several cruises as a solo as well as solo trips to vegas & D.C. and for me...I much prefer to travel solo...not having to adjust my schedule or plans to suit someone else...

On cruises I generally do My time dining at a table for 1...most of the tables are so close together that it is easy enough to enjoy some "light" conversation without being obligated to carry on a full conversation...

The biggest drawback to me is the added cost of going solo....but I just keep an eye out for cruises I feel are affordable and plan accordingly...

I agree with you regarding the cost of going solo. I am looking at cruises to Alaska is Sept. It will cost me twice the amount listed however, I like the fact that I can do what I want when I want.

I too had been contemplating booking a solo cruise and finally just bit the bullet. I just got tired of waiting around for everyone else to find the time or the money, so I figured since I had both, why not still go. I'm looking forward to the time to myself, but also looking forward to meeting new people.

I enjoy travelling solo. (So much better than incompatible travelling companions).

When I am at home, if I feel like going to a restaurant by myself for dinner or lunch, I go. I am always astounded when people are surprised I dare go to a restaurant by myself.

Hello solo travelers!

I just finished my first solo cruise on NCL GEM; it was great! One of the 'things' I was surprised about was the cruise ship staff. Many times during my cruise I was received with 'are you alone!? with raised eyebrows, or ignored and had to go out of my way to get service'. Not that it really mattered but I am not sure why it mattered to them; that said I did usually did not get a good to great spot in the dining room. They should be told that I have spent twice as much as most to be there and probably would tip well, as a solo customer (spending twice as much to be there) I probably have the money to tip well. I am a HUGE customer service person and tip really well.

I pretty much ignored them, even though some tried to charge me more for cocktails I did not order, the passengers I met were terrific.

Just a couple of my observations; I have traveled extensively for business so I always expect good service; no reason not to get it.

So far I've done two solo cruises and one where I was technically solo in that I had my own cabin, but I was with two friends.

I found on my purely solo cruises that being active on the roll call prior to the cruises helped. It especially helped on one cruise when I was seated at a large table, and no one spoke to me. Some of my roll call friends had room at their table, and we arranged for me to sit with them the rest of the cruise.

I agree about people unwittingly being friendly at a bar or elsewhere and then wandering off. That could happen anywhere. What I did like, because of the roll call, was that I could have conversations in the buffet or by the pool or anywhere else with someone who was not a total stranger.

I am a widow and live alone and really enjoy my solitude, so cruising alone works well for me. However, there is that cost which makes it difficult. I have two cruises planned this year, one next month with a friend and another in December when 10 of us are sharing the Presidential Suite on the Freedom of the Seas. After that I don't know when I'll cruise again, but I know I will!

Archived