Should Princess honor the Titanic sailing, and if so, how?

Terry in NJ

Should Princess, as a "relative" of the White Star and Cunard Lines, honor the 100 year anniversary of the voyage of the Titanic during it's sailings that week?

I am suggesting ONLY respectful and dignified services, to honor all involved in that historical event (passengers, crew members and rescue personnel).

(I do not know if this was discussed previously, but I know I haven't seen anything of this nature in the last several months.)

Perhaps a midnight service could be offered during the week of the original sailing, with the captain presiding.

Perhaps onboard clergy could offer a brief invocation.

It would be lovely if a bagpipe recording of Amazing Grace could be broadcast, or perhaps national hymns of the British Isles, Canada and the USA played.

I think, very dimmed lighting, with only white bulbs illuminated, and a flare sent up, just one, (with the permission of all pertinant international maritime organizations of course) would be reverent.

I mentioned this to a friend who served in the navy and I think he thought that the Captains may be uncomfortable with it. I most certainly do not wish to insult or be disrespectful to anyone in military service or the maritime industries. I apologize in advance if suggesting this type of service is insulting to anyone.

Again, I am proposing refined and solemn. As I am sailing on the Crown on April 7th, I think it would be incredible to be a part of such a memorial to all who sailed and sacrificed those fateful days.

Thank you very much for being kind and respectful in all your responses.

While I understand and respect your question, I do not think that any sort of ship's organized onboard remembrance would be appropriate.

I think it should be left up to the individual about whether they want to remember the date of the Titanic tragedy in a private manner but not as a public event. If there was a public event organized onboard I would just choose to not attend and remember it privately.

That's just my thoughts and others may feel differently.

It's hard to say, although it's always a nice idea to honor a tragedy such as the Titanic, it might also make some people uncomfortable bringing up the incident while they themselves are at sea. It's a touchy subject I think. Personally I would not find it a problem though.

Hi There

My view a small item in the patter this day 100 years ago...

Then at an agreed time a wreath should be placed on the sea

for all those who have lost their lives at sea.

Folk can watch if they want but not turned into a big event,

yours Shogun

Hi There

My view a small item in the patter this day 100 years ago...

Then at an agreed time a wreath should be placed on the sea

for all those who have lost their lives at sea.

Folk can watch if they want but not turned into a big event,

yours Shogun

Well stated.

MJ

I feel a small respectful "service" would be very nice. Nothing big, fancy, or loud. My mind keeps remembering those movies in which something in the past was celebrated in a loud and obnoxious manner by teenagers and what became of it. Didn't that happen in a Friday the 13th movie? (Sorry Sandy Sails! ;))

During the 2009 Dawn Princess World Cruise (Sydney to Sydney) we supposedly passed near where the Titantic sank and the Bridge sounded the ship's horn as a mark of respect.

Our cruise departs on the 15th, the day that the Titanic sank. I was hoping that they would do something as well.

I would even enjoy watching Titanic in the theater or on MUTs. While I know the story line has nothing to do with the actual Titanic tragedy, I also believe the movie gives us a better appreciation for what the passengers went through.

Someone here spoke of a cruise to the TITANIC site as a commemorative of the tragedy. This ship is leaving from Southhampton to go to New York via the same route .I believe there will be a service on that fateful day

Also they mentioned the wining and dining of the cruise I believe.... AZAMARA ...correct me if I am wrong is doing this

I was reprimanded...by one of the hosts .... for finding this expedition a little creepy ...Sorry but I also think "wining and dining" inapropriate associated with this tragedy ...or am I missing something

I do believe all ships should have a minute of silence on that day at the actual time of disaster

michele

I liked Shogun's idea, to honor ALL of those lost at sea.

However, I will say that I did not see the movie, Titanic, nor did I want to, as I knew the ending already, and thought it very sad. Our family also had friends on the Lusitania, and you rarely hear of the 1198 people lost. That was also a Cunard Ship, and one of the biggest and fastest of it's day.

If we must have a public anything, my opinion is to let it be one to honor all lives lost at sea.

I don't know what the cruise line should do (if anything) but our roll call is going to assemble on the evening of the 15th to toast those lost. Once that's through, we'll go into celebration mode to celebrate my wedding that day and another cruisers birthday.

I would even enjoy watching Titanic in the theater or on MUTs. While I know the story line has nothing to do with the actual Titanic tragedy, I also believe the movie gives us a better appreciation for what the passengers went through.

They're re-releasing the movie in theaters for the anniversary (in 3D I believe) so the chances of getting the rights to show it on MUTs are slim. I, for one, might actually watch if they did. This has been on my mind a lot lately so although I hadn't seen it in about 10 years, I watched the movie twice in the past few months.

However, I will say that I did not see the movie, Titanic, nor did I want to, as I knew the ending already, and thought it very sad. Our family also had friends on the Lusitania, and you rarely hear of the 1198 people lost. That was also a Cunard Ship, and one of the biggest and fastest of it's day.

If we must have a public anything, my opinion is to let it be one to honor all lives lost at sea.

I couldn't agree more. The Titanic just gets more P.R. from the media which is why it sticks out in our minds more than other equally large maritime disasters. When you think about it is there a better headline than an unsinkable ship sinking on its maiden voyage. It’s all about selling news papers and movies.

IMHO, much too much fuss has always been made of the Titanic sinking. Lots of ships sank and lots of people died at sea during that era. The only reason that we make so much fuss about the Titanic is that it sank on its maiden voyage. If it had sank on voyage 2 or voyage 10, nobody would really care much or even remember the ship.

DON

We will be boarding Allure that day and having been asked the question, I think I have mixed feelings. I have seen Titanic and thought it was a good movie. However, now that I'm a cruiser I don't know if I would watch it again. And strangely enough the horror of the Poseidon Adventure still sticks out in my mind. (just googled it- I was 12!) I know I would NEVER watch that again!

So, one part of me doesn't want to acknowledge the potential danger at sea, yet the other says that it was a major historical event that happened with a mode of transportation that I have become passionate about.

I like Shogun's idea of acknowledging all those lost at sea. A wreath or sounding the horn might be appropriate.

I feel a small respectful "service" would be very nice. Nothing big, fancy, or loud. My mind keeps remembering those movies in which something in the past was celebrated in a loud and obnoxious manner by teenagers and what became of it. Didn't that happen in a Friday the 13th movie? (Sorry Sandy Sails! ;))

I was 15 when the movie came out, LOL. But I was one of the very, very, very few that fell in love with it for the story and the ship, other than Leonardo Not-that-attractive-caprio. :D (It still remains my favorite movie of all time :rolleyes:.)

I'm curious to see what ships will do that week, or day, if anything. Not sure if people want to remember a sinking ship while they're on a ship -- but it is an important part of maritime history and I think something classy can be easily arranged for those who want to participate. So far, the only Titanic-related thing on ships is the Titanic slot machine :eek:.

IMHO, that decision would be best left to Cunard alone.

At the time, Titanic belonged to White Star Lines. Cunard purchased White Star in 1934. I don't think Cunard is doing anything official to commemorate the occasion, although their fleet minister will be on board Azamara Journey which is sailing the Titanic's route and will preside over the services.

I also like Shogun's idea to honor all those lost at sea. While the Titanic is the iconic ship lost at sea tragedy, there were many more horrific sinkings such as the Lusitania and the Wilhelm Gustloff (albeit they were torpedoed and sunk during wartime).

Should Princess, as a "relative" of the White Star and Cunard Lines, honor the 100 year anniversary of the voyage of the Titanic during it's sailings that week?

I am suggesting ONLY respectful and dignified services, to honor all involved in that historical event (passengers, crew members and rescue personnel).

My opinion is "No they shouldn't". While the loss which happened was tragic, it is only a small part of history to be commemorated by those affected. There have been many losses at sea up to and including those in the Costa Concordia. I will sometimes raise a prayer from my balcony for all of them (especially losses during war time), but really don't see the need for a cruise line to remember one ship.

One of the blessings of a cruise is to get away from the publicity of tragedy, especially where over-emphasized by the media.

When there has been a musician onboard who plays the pan flute (i.e. Crown Princess in January), I request the theme from Titanic - "My Heart Will Go On". Some have been reluctant to play the piece that is associated with the disastrous sinking of the vessel. I think that a public remembrance of the ill-fated Titanic would probably be met with similar resistance by crew, staff, and passengers. jmo

Chris

Archived