First time PG cruise recommendation ?

Kingofcool1947

What itinerary would you recommend for 1st time PG cruise?

Thanks,

We've just booked only our 2nd time on PG and there are many others here with much more experience, but our thought is if we are hauling all the way over to Tahiti, take a longer cruise than 7 days.

We did our first PG cruise ( 2013 ) and after lot's of research decided on a 3 night pre-cruise stay on Moorea ( gave us a chance to experience an OWB and relax ) followed by a spectacular 10 night PG Society and Tuamotus . We chose the 10 night for a couple reasons....less sea days than some of the longer one's, we love the water sports and had a calling to see the blue lagoon . We considered the 11 night Cook's itinerary and the time of year we were cruising did not have the best odd's of making it due to potential storms. So much will depend how much time you have and what your interest are. For us it ended up being a perfect combo. There is no bad decision in paradise !

We cruised for the first time in Aug 2011. Did the 10 night because there was only 1 day at sea. And due to the time involved in getting there, 7 nights is just not enough. We did a two night pre-cruise at IC Tahiti. Was such an unbelievable trip that we are book again for a 10 night this July 29th. And we are counting the days ! :):):):)

The consensus seems to be 10 days and I agree completely.

We are booked for our 9th this June and will have done two 7's (our first two), six 10's and one 14 (Marquesas). We are glad to have done the 14-day Marquesas, but we will not do it again. The Paul Gauguin is really made for the inter-island sailing rather than long trips on the high seas.

Join us on June 10th if you can!:)

Also look at the cost factor. For 2016 in the summer the difference, at a lower end cabin, between the 7 and 10 night is only about $300. Sure makes more sense simply for cost to do the 10 night.

I never did the 7 night but we have done the 10 and 11 night and return in June. If you are a diver it is easy to pick the 10 night due to the diving in the Tuamotus. You really can't go wrong with either the 10 or 11 night.

IMHO I would stay away from the cruises that include Fiji. They should spectacular but the ports are really very, very poor.

We will be taking our 9th PG cruise to New Caledonia in October of 2015. OUr very first cruise ever was the 7 day PG cruise thinking we might not like the cruise experience. Boy, were we wrong! Please take the longest PG cruise you can afford financially and time wise. I would skip the pre and post cruise stays and put your money into the cruise. We did post cruise stay and were very disappointed by the high cost vs service and quality given for it.

If you are on one of the late night PG cruise flights, the ship provides one with a day room and w found that by going straight to the room and resting we were very ready to start our cruise when we boarded the ship.

Whatever you decide to do, you will enjoy your trip: the crew is friendly, the food good and the passengers for the most part fun and interesting to be among (we especially enjoying sitting at dining tables of 6 to 8).

Please share your experiences once you do cruise.

I differ from most here. I believe the 7-day Societies Island cruise is perfect for a newcomer, as long as it's combined with a pre-cruise stay, preferably 3-4 days.

Our first, second, and third/fourth cruises on the PG were the 7-day trip (the 3rd/4th a back to back). First trip we did a 3 night pre-cruise out in the Tuomotus. This was perfection for a first-time (although I would now recommend Moorea--close to Tahiti but entirely different atmosphere, and much cheaper and friendlier than Bora Bora.)

I differ from most here. I believe the 7-day Societies Island cruise is perfect for a newcomer, as long as it's combined with a pre-cruise stay, preferably 3-4 days.

Our first, second, and third/fourth cruises on the PG were the 7-day trip (the 3rd/4th a back to back). First trip we did a 3 night pre-cruise out in the Tuomotus. This was perfection for a first-time (although I would now recommend Moorea--close to Tahiti but entirely different atmosphere, and much cheaper and friendlier than Bora Bora.)

Let me just add that unless you are a dedicated snorkeler/diver, the Society Islands are much more interesting than the Tuomotus, in my opinion.

Obviously tastes differ. Wendy recommends the 7-day as a great introduction, which I agree with. But others have recommended the 10-day. MotuIslander wouldn't do the 14-day Marquesa trip again, but I would love to repeat that cruise. So perhaps what you need to do is do all of the PG cruises. Then you can decide which is/was best for you. I'm thinkin' you will love them all.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Our first P.G. cruise was in Sept.

We did three nights pre cruise in IC

Tahiti, then the 10 day cruise, then 4 nights at the Hilton Moorea (Two nights in a bungalow with our own plunge pool and 2 nights in a OWB. Loved the bungalow and the OWB!!

If I was to do it again I would do my pre cruise in Moorea and skip the post cruise. After we had packed at the end of the cruise we sort of felt like we were ready to go home--------although after half a day we did get back into the vacation mode!! Ten days was great, but wish there were a couple sea days. I know some people don't like sea days, but I really enjoy them. I know you can just stay on the ship, but I always feel like I would miss something.

If you can go for 10 days do it --if you can't do 7--you will love it!!

Can you do a pre-stay in Moorea booked through PG? It seems like most people who take the package do the pre-stay at the IC Tahiti.

We want to go in June 2017. I called PG last week and they said 2017 itineraries won't be out until March 2016??? Does that sound right?

Edited by micmacmissy

Can you do a pre-stay in Moorea booked through PG? It seems like most people who take the package do the pre-stay at the IC Tahiti.

The cruise line typically offers pre- and post-cruise stays in Tahiti, Bora Bora, and Moorea, and they may actually offer additional ones--ask your TA. Once you find your desired itinerary (or a sample one if it's too early to find the one you'll actually take), hit the "extend' tab and it will offer you choices, including prices. The Moorea hotel is generally the IC. If you have the time and energy, you might try to create your own. I negotiated a pre-cruise stay at the Hilton on Moorea for a very significant savings over the cruise ship's offering.;)

Definitely look into booking your own pre or post cruise stay. Rates are a lot cheaper, but don't include transfers.

However, there's nothing wrong with having PG do the legwork for you if you're uncomfortable booking transfers yourself. I booked my own for our pre-cruise stay on Moorea and had no issues, but then I'm a little more adventurous. My wife would have let the experts handle it.

The IC is the top chain used, since the same company owns (or operates) them.

In the past we have done both--had PG book a pre-cruise, and rolled our own. We rolled our own on Moorea last September: I booked a flight over and we took the ferry back to Papeete, and stayed at a lovely local hotel on Moorea for a fraction of one of the chains. We are going back with friends late next year, and they are of the "have my TA take care of it" persuasion, but in this case I'll probably just do the legwork for them. We'd love to stay on Moorea again.

• 1 month later...

As others have confirmed, PG certainly does packages to Moorea.

We will be on that cruise! Our first with PG! Do you know anything about their laundry package?

Which cruise? I've never used the laundry package but have had others recommend it.

We will be on that cruise! Our first with PG! Do you know anything about their laundry package?

Hi we're on the 27th June cruise on PG and we have booked the laundry package. We booked it through our TA it cost something like $110 for a week. Sounds like a bargain to me. :)

We are planning our first PG cruise for next year. I'm a novice at snorkeling and dear wife a beginner. Was thinking about the 7 day plus a 2 or 4 day pre-cruise on Bora or Moorea. Am I right that Tuamotus make more sense mainly for divers and very advanced snorkelers? Are snorkel vests for sure provided by PG?

We are planning our first PG cruise for next year. I'm a novice at snorkeling and dear wife a beginner. Was thinking about the 7 day plus a 2 or 4 day pre-cruise on Bora or Moorea. Am I right that Tuamotus make more sense mainly for divers and very advanced snorkelers? Are snorkel vests for sure provided by PG?

I've been reliably informed that the PG does not provide snorkeling vests anymore. They do provide snorkeling masks and fins however. We are due to sail on the 27th June and decided in the end to buy a snorkeling vest for me to use. They're quite cheap to buy on Amazon and will give me more confidence in deeper waters or in areas where the current is stronger. Last time we snorkeled in FP it was in shallow waters off the IC at Bora Bora which was fine but obviously it's different when you're in deeper waters.