Brit needs your knowledge and help Miami Beach to Fort Lauderdale Port

torromierda

Hi all,

Love this forum, always so helpful.

Quick Synopsis

After three cruises from US ports, all booked as packages with transfers and hotels with UK travel agents for next year I am going to put on my brave boy pants and book the elements myself to get better value for money and a longer stay. On the last two cruises we have taken advantage of pre/post/both cruise layovers to visit NY, LV and LA. My wife is 40 next year and really wants to visit Miami and have a nice Caribbean Cruise. She likes warm but not really hot so was thinking October/November as usual.

Rough Plan

Fly into Miami/Fort Lauderdale

Book an apartment via AirBnB

Book Cruise only from a Florida Port (probably Fort Lauderdale as we like RC and dont want a short itinerary with only 1 or 2 POC)

Either fly back from Miami/Fort Lauderdale or tack on another day or two elsewhere.

Help Needed

If I dont fancy driving, what shuttles could I book to get from Miami to FL or vice versa and roughly what cost please?

I am currently checking Flights from UK but I am guessing one Airport is easier for the Port and another is easier for Miami Beach or is it not really a problem either way?

Any insider tips, dos and donts and personal opinions most welcome. Never been let down yet by my US Cruise brothers and sisters

From downtown Miami or Miami Beach, depending upon location and traffic a cab to Port Everglades will run about $75 on the meter.

I would also check with Larry's Limos and Go Airport Shuttle, QLS and others often suggested on this board for quotes once you have your location and schedule set.

From the MIA airport a taxi to downtown Miami hotels will cost about $25+ - a cab to South Beach will run about $35 and if your apartment is further north in Miami Beach expect to pay more. If you can handle your own luggage you can take the Miami Airport Flyer bus from MIA to South Beach for under $2 each -- you'll need to walk or cab to your apartment from the closest bus stop.

If you choose to fly into MIA but decide to stay in the Fort Lauderdale area a taxi will run about $75-80, or check with American Shuttle and Super Shuttle. The Tri-Rail train will also get you from the MIA airport to a stop near the FLL airport for under $5 each - you'll need to make your way (cab or shuttle) from there to your lodgings.

If any of this helps you owe me a pint -- bitter or a nice, dark ale are preferred. Good luck! :)

Just so you know, there are no direct flights to FLL from the UK (at least, not that I've ever found!), so you will almost certanly have to fly into MIA unless you want to use a US airline or partner airline and fly into a hub (eg Atlanta) and fly out to FLL, so an extra stop.

Simon

Rough Plan

Book Cruise only from a Florida Port (probably Fort Lauderdale as we like RC and dont want a short itinerary with only 1 or 2 POC)

Either fly back from Miami/Fort Lauderdale or tack on another day or two elsewhere.

Help Needed

If I dont fancy driving, what shuttles could I book to get from Miami to FL or vice versa and roughly what cost please?

I am currently checking Flights from UK but I am guessing one Airport is easier for the Port and another is easier for Miami Beach or is it not really a problem either way?

If you want to stay in Miami, you need to stay in a hotel. DO NOT attempt anything with AirBnB. Perhaps you might find something in the FLL area, but beware of Miami.

Just so you know, there are no direct flights to FLL from the UK (at least, not that I've ever found!), so you will almost certanly have to fly into MIA unless you want to use a US airline or partner airline and fly into a hub (eg Atlanta) and fly out to FLL, so an extra stop.

Simon

Norwegian are flying LGW direct to FLL this year. Mondays and Fridays. 787 Dreamliner. the summer 2016 schedule shows only Wednesday flights but the schedule is only loaded up to August.

Watch out for BA and Virgin Atlantic sales (to Miami). I just snagged a bargain for next March with Virgin to Miami.

Hi all,

Quick Synopsis

After three cruises from US ports, all booked as packages with transfers and hotels with UK travel agents for next year I am going to put on my brave boy pants and book the elements myself to get better value for money and a longer stay. On the last two cruises we have taken advantage of pre/post/both cruise layovers to visit NY, LV and LA. My wife is 40 next year and really wants to visit Miami and have a nice Caribbean Cruise. She likes warm but not really hot so was thinking October/November as usual.

Rough Plan

Help Needed

Any insider tips, dos and donts and personal opinions most welcome. Never been let down yet by my US Cruise brothers and sisters

Forget about AirBnB in Miami. Fort Lauderdale is okay but not Miami.

October is still our summer, it is hot and humid. We don't really cool off, maybe at night in in November it will drop down to low 70s but still expect mid to upper 80s during the day.

My suggestion would be to fly into Miami and cruise out of Miami. I would stay the extra days in South Beach for your wife's 40th birthday.

I would leave Fort Lauderdale out of the equation because you aren't going to get direct flights in and out of here and it only complicates things.

What is your hotel budget? Do you want a WOW hotel? Look at The Shore Club, The Loews Hotel, The Delano, The W, The SLS, 1 Hotel South Beach, and Ritz Carlton to start.

Also, you don't need a car in South Beach and there is fantastic shopping, dining, nightlife, attractions, and it is amazing just to have a pool or beach day.

....But what I am getting is:

That Miami is NOT the place to attempt to go Native and use AirBnB (Pity there are some nice looking apartments on the South Beach).

That direct flights go to MIA so best to fly there.

That South beach is a cool place to stay.

That It'll be approximately $75 to transfer to FL.

Miami will be hot but not stifling (Just right)

I will be sticking to FL for my Cruise choices guys as Miami dont have the length of Cruise and itinerary that I want with my preferred cruise company but FL definitely does.

That Miami is NOT the place to attempt to go Native and use AirBnB (Pity there are some nice looking apartments on the South Beach).

I will be sticking to FL for my Cruise choices guys as Miami dont have the length of Cruise and itinerary that I want with my preferred cruise company but FL definitely does.

That's what I read - lots more cruises that meet your needs out of Port Everglades and you may want to split your non-cruising time between Miami Beach and Fort Lauderdale. ww.sunny.org has lots of FLL area tourist and lodging information. Good luck! :)

Yes, that would be my choice for a birthday, fly into Miami, stay in South Beach for a few nights, shuttle up to Fort Lauderdale for a cruise.

I like Larrys Limo.

http://www.LarrysLimo.com

Hi all,

Quick Synopsis

Rough Plan

Help Needed

Hi I'm researching for a big birthday in November too.

Usually fly Virgin into Miami

There are some great options, Coral Gables is a great place to stay

I have been travelling this route many years if you want email me and I will

Forward you my list of great places we have stayed in and Larrys Limos are good.

blueinns@msn.com

Cheers

Steve

• 1 month later...

Hi, we were in the same situation, and decided to book direct flights from manchester Uk to Miami and stay in Miami Beach for 2 night, then cruise out of Port Everglades, you post was helpful for the transfers, thank you :)

The time delay flying via Atlanta or Philly was not worth it to fly into FLL.

We will spend the day in Fort Lauderdale on the return as the UK flight is not till 18.25 so have all day to wander round and explore.

Have fun:)