Taxi - no car seat

LemonNeko

You might occasionally get a cab instead of a safari van, but I would expect that even with ships tours the vehicles you are going to be in do not even have seat belts, much less a way to fashion a car seat in.

My son is 3 so still requires a car seat. Is there any options to travel without doing a shore excursion? I'm interested in Magen's Bay or Sapphire beach.

We went to Magen's Bay with our 3 yo. We brought an Eddie Bauer* portable car seat that basically folds up. Worked well for us in a normal taxi, but was useless in those large open van like cars.

*Eddie Bauer doesn't make them any more, but I believe that other companies still do.

It appears that Safety First makes one it would be a major pain for us to take one along since we are traveling from Canada and I don't think they are available here. My son is also pretty small (under 40 lbs). It sounds like we will mostly likely walking around port or spending time on the ship. I saw they have public buses but they pretty unreliable. Thanks so much for the info

• 3 weeks later...

If the above suggestion about calling ahead doesn't work, and it might, it will still be a fun day. You can walk around the shopping area and there is a walk that goes along the shore. Near some really fancy shops by the marina with the fancy boats, look down at the rocks, we have seen some big iguanas there. :)

It appears that Safety First makes one it would be a major pain for us to take one along since we are traveling from Canada and I don't think they are available here. My son is also pretty small (under 40 lbs). It sounds like we will mostly likely walking around port or spending time on the ship. I saw they have public buses but they pretty unreliable. Thanks so much for the info

I don't think car seats are required in St Thomas. I have traveled all over the Caribbean with my children and now with grandchildren and we have been in transportation many times without a car seat. Some vehicles do not even have seat belts. But you have to do what is right for you. If you would feel better about it you can take a ship excursion on a bus.

Don't miss going to the beach.

Edited by Marie51

The first time we cruised to St Thomas we hailed a cab to take us and the kids to Megans Bay. I needed to repeatedly ask the cab driver not to drink beer while driving.

We still talk about Zeus to this day and his attempts to drink and drive. Needless to say we found a different cab to return to the ship.

The first time we cruised to St Thomas we hailed a cab to take us and the kids to Megans Bay. I needed to repeatedly ask the cab driver not to drink beer while driving.

We still talk about Zeus to this day and his attempts to drink and drive. Needless to say we found a different cab to return to the ship.

This makes me think I need to take some breathalyzer tests if I decide to take a cab... I don't think I'm that car paranoid...hopefully...

VI law does require car seats for 2 and under. Those older can ride in the back seat & use seat belts. How well this is enforced is another question.

If you are not bringing a car seat or stroller/ seat combo with you on the plane, e-mail the vi taxi assoc. to inquire about arranging a taxi w car seat. I'd bet some enterprising taxi drivers do this for the many young cruise ship passengers:)

For Questions – Email contact@vitaxi.com**

I lived on St Thomas for several years & the taxi drivers I knew were the best. Make sure the license plate has TX on it, otherwise it may be someone just trying to pick up a few extra $$ to replenish his rum supply:eek:

PS: Go to Sapphire or Linqvist rather than Magen's, & if you think your 3 year old would like Coki & Coral world would be great too.

Edited by HarpHarp