Your favorite travel clothing for non-Caribbean cruising

cruisemom42

Having just gotten back from a spring Mediterranean cruise, I thought it might be useful to post some of the items that have come to be "standards" for me when it comes to European cruises or land travel, and maybe a couple of things that didn't work so well.... Would be great to hear similar from others too.

One item that I bought about 2 years ago (but is still available) that has turned out to be a true basic and work-horse for me is this lightweight 3/4 sleeve linen-blend sweater in black from Nic + Zoe:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/niczoe-4-way-convertible-three-quarter-sleeve-cardigan-regular-and-petite/3684024?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=CLOVER

It's unbelievably useful for 'in between' weather, works great for casual dressy evenings with a colorful shell, is very lightweight and packs well. Be sure to get the version that is 60% linen; there is a heavier weight one that I don't like as well. There are a number of colors available; I'm looking for a 'bright' basic as well, since it's so useful.

Also, for either dressy casual or even for dressier occasions (depending on how you dress them up or down) these black Eileen Fisher silk slouchy pants are great. They aren't cheap but they are very lightweight, flattering, comfortable, pack well, and seem to be very durable. If you wait for a sale or clearance, you can get them for a decent price:

http://www.eileenfisher.com/system-slouchy-ankle-pant-in-silk-georgette-crepe-r6gc-p3072/?&color=1958

I also like the J Jill Wearever shell in black as a basic to go under a jacket or cardi. It's cut well -- not too high and not too low. Unfortunately, I find that they don't wear too well -- they tend to pill after a few wears. But they do pack well and are easily hand washable. When I can, I stock up on a few when J Jill has a 30% off sale:

http://www.jjill.com/jjillonline/product/product.aspx?item=EE085K&rPFID=588&sk=M&h=M

Any favorites you can share?

Thanks cruisemom! I like your taste in clothing and cruises:D. I think I need one of those cardigans! I too find Eileen Fisher pants, sweaters and tanks great for travel and looking good!

I have had good luck with linen knit tops. They never wrinkle and I have one from Ralph Lauren that I wear and wear. Currently, in Canada the Olsen brand has lots of linens at a reasonable price. I also have a couple of Calvin Klein scoop neck blousy tanks that wash and travel well and can be dressed up with a cardigan.

I love my packable down jacket from Costco for warmth, no weight and easy to squish in. Also at Costco the merino wool very light sweaters are also great. I find that real wool or silk makes a huge difference. That plus silk Eddie Bauer long underwear for cooler climates keeps me comfortable in the Norwegian fjords for example.

For warmer weather I love the light weight Columbia capris!

Though for my DH who never gets cold, I have been forced to buy him Cashmere sweaters in Italy when he was underprepared.😉

Currently

That v-neck 3/4 sleeve linen shirt is really cute. Wish I could overcome my FOL (fear of linen). :eek:

I tried last summer. Ordered some really great linen wide-leg pants (Eileen Fisher) and loved the look when I first put them on. But I just. can't. stand. the wrinkling..... So even though I kept them, I have yet to wear them.

I always end up looking like a rumpled up kleenex in linen. I know it's a matter of "mind over wrinkles" but -- it just eludes me. :loudcry:

Well, we usually travel to Europe in the fall/winter, so my packing list will NOT include linen ;-) It DOES include goretex shoes, merino tees and sweaters (maybe cashmere if the forecast is esp cold, but I run hot) a pair of boots I can do a lot of walking in that also look cute with my merino dress. A couple of scarves. Lots of black, and an accent color or two (probably red in the winter).

When I travel Europe I like to wear:

Knit pants (black/dark color) or light-weight corduroy in black (JJill has nice ones)

Lightweight sweater in cotton or cashmere

Cotton long sleeve top (mock or turtleneck)

Colorful scarves, lots of them

Leather jacket in black and whiskey tan

Quilted nylon jacket also looks nice (Land's End)

Low-heeled boots or nice low-heeled leather shoes

Dark washed jeans are great also, goes nicely with leather jacket as well.

I'm going on my first Cruise in June Rome to Rom on Oceania. I have been to the South of France but that was when I was 20, so now I'm 41 and dress very different than my 20 year old self. I am packing only one pair of shorts, the rest are capri length pants, in various colors. I have a few summer dresses for fun and evening meals (not formals at all, easy cotton dresses), that my best friend designed and made for me. She is a fantastic designer but not starting a business until her kids are out of school. I get rave comments about her dresses and bags everywhere I go. Most of my tops are light and airy and I have a few cotton three quarter length sleeve cardigans. My air travel clothes are layers and very comfy, jogger pants, t-shirt and hoodie cardigan, my tennis shoes. I have 4 other pair of shoes, three sandals (one comfy for walking in Port, a pair of kitten heels, and one for evening with my dresses), canvas slip on style shoes. I also will bring 2 swimsuits with a cover up to match. Workout clothes because I need to exercise off all the calories I will consume. My clothing is modest but fun, so I should be ok wearing any of it on Port days that we may end up visiting a church (they usually have rules that you must have your shoulders covered and cover your knees). I also got a cheep sun hat that will squish into my bag but pop out good as new. I practiced already. It was squished for a week and looked great when I un-squished it. I'm not taking my good jewelry but I have some fun less expensive jewelry that will work for many outfits. I plan to buy shoes on the trip so I have to keep enough room in my bag for them (I always ditch the boxes).

I'm Ms. Practical. If I won't be able to wear something at home, I usually won't buy it for a vacation.

I don't take shorts on non-tropical vacations. I have lots of lightweight, comfortable pants that I've picked up over the years from Athleta, Columbia, Royal Robbins. If it's going to be a little cool, I'll toss in a pair of jeans. If I know I am going someplace a little more upscale for a dinner, I'll put in a pair of Eileen Fisher pants. Or, if it is cooler, my Eileen Fisher pleated dress (it rolls and travels great). For shirts, it really depends. I have several Ex-Officio button-down long sleeves that have served me well on non-metropolitan locations. I've picked up a few patterned long-sleeve T-shirts from J. Peterman which go well from day to night. My lightest weight tops are my favorites - my burnout material shirts from The North Face and Prana. These puppies do lot of work, from casual to a layer on vacation to what I wear under my business suits.

Sweaters/jackets: Well, I have my trusty Patagonia light down jacket that goes with me many times. I have multiple shell jackets that I'll choose from for rainwear. I have some jacket/sweater thingies from The North Face and Athleta, that are nice outerwear on clear, but cooler days and nights.

Shoes: I can't do heels due to the effects of a nasty ankle/leg shatter. I really focus on footwear that handles walking all day, not focusing on the "cute" factor. I've got Jambu shoes, and Keen boots that get me through. I do have a pair of Sperry Topsiders that surprisingly work well with my orthotics, so I'll wear them for day for a slightly more "made up" look.

My travels to Europe have all been in the shoulder seasons, late October to December or April to May, & my go to is black leggings, & long black tank top the covers my bottom, & either a longer cashmere sweater or a light cargo jacket on warmer days. I have a couple of good pairs of boots that are well worn in & I can walk all day in =, as well as my go to birks. Throw in a pair of black linen shorts for days when we rent bikes, my Gap trench rain coat & my tilley T9 hat & I'm good to go!

Slightly off topic; but we're headed to New Zealand in November, followed by Australia, we'll hit a big range of weather, with much more laid back style than Europe cities... I'm planning on bringing a selection of skirts, tanks, & a cropped light weight denim jacket & my birks... a few pairs of linen shorts & my cargo jacket, that's pretty much what I wear year round here in L.A.

I'm Ms. Practical. If I won't be able to wear something at home, I usually won't buy it for a vacation.

This is true for me as well. My style is my style and I dress for climate and occasion ;p Fortunately I love a good sundress and my office is business casual, so I wear a lot of knit dresses for work and they travel great!

I wish I could do that, but my "home" wardrobe consists mostly of conservative business wear. Since I work 9 hours a day and commute an additional 1.5 to 2 hours daily, there's not much reason to have a more casual wardrobe, except for travel! At the day's end I either keep on my nice clothes if going out, or I go home and throw on some loungewear. :D

A few of my pieces do double duty (especially if I'm traveling to Europe off-season where I can utilize the ponte knit pants and the merino sweaters....), but I'd probably have very little in the way of casual wear if not for vacations. As it is, I have only one pair of shorts!!!

I'm in a suit 10 hours/day, 5 day/week. Then, I'm in jeans or those Athleta/Prana/Columbia pants and T-shirts if I'm going anywhere. I learned to have those Ts and tanks do double-duty when I did a month-long work stint in South Carolina. Kept the packing to a minimum, I could wash the Ts and dry them in the bathroom, and wear them when I took off the suit and put on shorts for hanging out at the hotel.

I'm not a dress person at all. I have one Trusty Little Black T-shirt dress that I bought for a vacation where I knew I'd have to "dress" one night. It's been my go-to for about 8 years now. Bought the Eileen Fisher 2 years ago from the Garnet Hill catalog - a deep charcoal knit. A bit more upscale. But, it's only been work twice so far as I have no where here in town or gone anywhere that required it. I was taking it with me on the cruise, but I cancelled. (the dog just had surgery today as the lump softened enough for the vet to go in and try to get some out).

I mostly cruise in Northern Europe and dress as I do at home... miniskirts, fitted jumpers, knee-high boots and a coat or poncho. If it's a rare warm day I'll wear a dress, sandals and a cardigan or lighter weight poncho. I dress up more than most people and like classic styles.

I hope the pup is hanging in there. Fingers crossed the surgery will help.

thanks. the vet said it went well. He's spending the night and may be tomorrow at the vet so they can keep an eye on the drainage coming out of the drain tube in his neck. Vet said that he seems to be already breathing better and not "snoring" so much (the big lump was pressing down in his throat, making swallowing and breathing a chore). They will keep him on the antibiotics to keep any possible infection from the surgery at bay.

I just got my "summer season" memo from HR - I get to add in sweaters to my business mix. So, I think I'm going to get a few very thin sweaters to wear. Kind of happy about it - wearing a full suit in the summer is NOT fun.

glad to hear that, hopefully he's home safe & sound by now. :)

Thank you. He came home this morning. Poor guy has bandages all around his head to keep the gauze in place to sop up the drainage. They cut out holes in the bandage for his ears! I have to re-bandage it tomorrow, so that should be interesting. He is breathing better. He actually greeted me at the door this afternoon, which he hadn't done in a couple of weeks. He ate well for me. He actually went over to a peanutbutter-filled bone that he had and started to chew on it. The drainage is pretty substantial still - not for the squeamish. But, it has to come out. I sure hope this is it for him. He's been a tough, brave boy through this.

Cruisemom - are those sweaters as short as on the model? They are the right weight, but too short to wear at work as they have to cover any shirts and can't be shorter than the top of the pants.

Cruisemom - are those sweaters as short as on the model? They are the right weight, but too short to wear at work as they have to cover any shirts and can't be shorter than the top of the pants.

They seem to vary. The black one (the one I got first) is longer than the one shown on the model. This week I ordered a medium blue one and one called "Cinnabar" which I found on sale. The blue one is like the black one, but the Cinnabar (like a hot coral) is quite a bit shorter -- even for me it's too short.

I think maybe the ones from last season are longer and the newer ones are shorter. But who knows.....? The Cinnabar is going back.

They seem to vary. The black one (the one I got first) is longer than the one shown on the model. This week I ordered a medium blue one and one called "Cinnabar" which I found on sale. The blue one is like the black one, but the Cinnabar (like a hot coral) is quite a bit shorter -- even for me it's too short.

I think maybe the ones from last season are longer and the newer ones are shorter. But who knows.....? The Cinnabar is going back.

Thanks.

I'll have to hunt around on my days off this week. Start at the outlet mall, then move down to "the big city" to Nordstom and the mall shops.