Gluten Free on Viking Sea

Celiac Cruiser

I am happy to report that several recent changes on the Viking Sea are making it much easier to select food choices that are gluten-free.

I am on board right now and can report that effective yesterday, they changed the individual name placards for each dish in the World Cafe to indicate that a dish is gluten free (where appropriate). They plan to make similar notations on The Restaurant menu. (They currently notate Vegetarian, Heart Healthy and No sugar added.)

This is good news for travelers who require (or desire) a gluten free diet. It also relieves the Dining / Cooking staff from being asked over and over again about the gluten content.

I can also report that gluten free breakfast pastries are made on board with their gluten free whole grain flour. Gluten free waffles are available at Mamsen's. Yummm. These specialty items are not publicized but you only need to ask for them.

They take cross contamination seriously and for example, they use a dedicated waffle iron in the kitchen not the one out front for the regular waffles. They fry their French fries in a dedicated fryer.

I hear that gluten free pasta is available to substitute for regular pasta at each dining establishment. I haven't verified that yet except at Manfreddi's. It was excellent there.

Glad to help Nashna. They are quite good at offering gluten free options. They thicken their soups with rice flour so most soups are gluten free. I suggest you bring your own gluten free soy sauce packets (like the Togo packets from PFChang) for the sushi bar. I forgot to bring mine. The gluten free pasta at Manfreddi's is sooooo good. They make it in house and I don't know how they do it.

I am also happy to report that I haven't gotten glutened yet - we are on Day 6 and I am quite sensitive.

Keep in mind that the dining staff are very happy to help out - just ask! The head cook in the World Cafe is the one to talk to for the buffet. On the Sea right now it is Dennis and he will move mountains if he can and he understands cross contamination.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

A few more notations for those who are very sensitive to gluten (Celiac):

I mentioned that the staff are trained about cross contamination but you still have to remind them. For example: (a few things I witnessed)

1) at Mamsens the almond cake is listed as gluten free (and is VERY good) but they slice the cake with the same knife they use for all the other cakes unless you STRESS that you need it to be gluten free.

2) at the Pool Grill, I noticed that the burgers are handled with tongs that they also use to pick up buns and grab onion rings. I asked for a gluten free burger and they mentioned that the buns are grilled in a separate toaster but did not understand about the cross contamination from the tongs. (I gave up on the burger).

3) at the bread station of the World Cafe they have gluten free options but handed it to me with the same gloved hand that had just been slicing regular bread.

4) this is not cross contamination but - twice the sushi guy tried to tell me that their California roll and another roll with imitation crab meat were gluten free. Here in the US imitation crab meat contains wheat but I didn't insist on seeing the label. I just skipped them.

Viking certainly is trying and has a lot to offer that is gluten free. I was glutened one morning from a GF roll - possible cross contamination in the kitchen? (I am very sensitive to gluten) It ruined 2 days of eating for me but I am happy to be able to travel in the first place.

• 2 months later...
Thank you for reporting your experience on the Viking Sea. My husband has Celiac Disease and so we appreciate this info.

We sail on the sky 12/2018 My daughter is also a celiac, was concerned if there would be food safe for her.

Make sure that you contact Viking 90 days or more before sailing to let them know your dietary needs and then once again when you board let the restaurant manager know.

• 4 months later...

I am heading back out on the Open Seas January 2018! I will be happy to report back the improvements that Viking has made in regards to Gluten Free dining options. If any of you have any questions or inquiries regarding dietary issues, pass them along and I will report back. Cheers!

I am heading back out on the Open Seas January 2018! I will be happy to report back the improvements that Viking has made in regards to Gluten Free dining options. If any of you have any questions or inquiries regarding dietary issues, pass them along and I will report back. Cheers!

Thank you. Curious to know if the breads and muffins are decent.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

LIVE on the Viking Star! I can report that since May ‘17, progress has been made on the Gluten Free offerings. Under the supervision of Zrinka (restaurant manager) currently on the Star, I have noticed improvements. The World Cafe now has signs under each name noting which items are gluten free!!

There was a new chocolate dessert at Manfreddis (forget the name) tonight that was gluten free and Delicious!

More later.

I see that the room service menu and Restaurant menu NOW have notations of which items are naturally prepared gluten free. Of course, you can still request changes to have them specially prepare items without gluten as well. All good changes that help ensure a happy journey for Celiacs and Gluten Intolerants.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

LIVE on the Viking Star! I can report that since May ‘17, progress has been made on the Gluten Free offerings. Under the supervision of Zrinka (restaurant manager) currently on the Star, I have noticed improvements. The World Cafe now has signs under each name noting which items are gluten free!!

There was a new chocolate dessert at Manfreddis (forget the name) tonight that was gluten free and Delicious!

More later.

I'm on board, too. Been here since 12/28. Missed you at the Cruise Critic Meet and Mingle Friday night.

Thank you. Curious to know if the breads and muffins are decent.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/quote

The rolls (GF) in the dining room are OK. I like the white one. I don’t like the whole grain one. I am told they have a dedicated toaster in the World Cafe and presumably GF breads. I have not tried them.

I have not seen any muffins or other GF baked goods.

I still long for the GF croissants 🥐 that were made by the chef on the river boat of our first Viking cruise. They were ‘to die for’.....3 cruises later and still no sign of them. :-(

• 4 weeks later...

Celiac person here:) Just returned from Viking Star Barcelona-Rome in January

I was very happy with the food, and I ate more than my share:)

Every day the Restaurant manager handed me or had delivered to my room the dinner menu for The Restaurant. I was able to make great choices. Menu items were marked GF on the menu and on the buffet.

Afternoon tea had a gluten free assortment-a scone, some sandwiches and macaroons.

The gf bread at dinner was good, not a wide assortment like regular diners, but ok.

The buffet offered some gf desserts, and of course gelato:)

There were so many foods that are naturally gf, like seafood, fruits, vegetables, salads, chicken wings at the pool grill,

that I most certainly did not go hungry.

At Mamsens I just asked for a bowl of berries, at breakfast and other meals, you can ask for gf bread.

At the World Cafe I really appreciated that entrees and sides were clearly marked gf.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know how far removed the gluten-free kitchen prep area is from the regular prep area? If they use free-flowing flour in the regular prep area, it will stay airborne and cross-contaminate food. (Yes, I am that sensitive.)

Thank you for any information you might have!

Does anyone know how far removed the gluten-free kitchen prep area is from the regular prep area? If they use free-flowing flour in the regular prep area, it will stay airborne and cross-contaminate food. (Yes, I am that sensitive.)

Thank you for any information you might have!

Your best bet, your only bet, for a reliable answer is to talk directly to Viking. Send an e-mail to Viking at tellus@vikingcruises.com. Tell them exactly what you have told us. If you give them a phone number, they will call. If you have already booked, include your booking number. They will be very happy to speak with you and to discuss exactly how the kitchens are set up and what they can or cannot be relied upon to do to keep you healthy during your cruise.

• 1 month later...

Thanks, everyone, for the great gluten-free info!

We've cruised with Viking River but this will be our first with Viking Ocean. Usually on the ocean ships the only time I've been able to get gluten-free food (other than something hard to mess up like an egg or fruit) was during dinner in the main dining room. Glad Viking is making things a lot easier. I have other allergies (so it's still difficult!) but at least if it has gluten I don't even need to bother to ask about other allergens.

Thanks, everyone, for the great gluten-free info!

We've cruised with Viking River but this will be our first with Viking Ocean. Usually on the ocean ships the only time I've been able to get gluten-free food (other than something hard to mess up like an egg or fruit) was during dinner in the main dining room. Glad Viking is making things a lot easier. I have other allergies (so it's still difficult!) but at least if it has gluten I don't even need to bother to ask about other allergens.

Karen I'll let you know how the Orion is with gf as I am on it in august.

On the Viking Sky, all the dining rooms were great. They did not have a dedicated toaster so they warmed the bread in a pan. The pool grill was not wonderful. I very clearly stated I am gf and asked for a burger without a bun. the person taking the order was fine, he effectively communicated to the person cooking the burgers but the person putting the burgers on the buns was clueless and twice messed up my order and they had to remake it with a bit more supervision. so watch them carefully at the pool grill!

Hi Geffric! That would be most appreciated. Thanks for the warning about the pool grill. There always seems to be certain restaurants or individuals who just don't get it. I'll keep a closer eye if I decide to try food from there. I'm wondering if I'll need to plan to bring my own food for lunches since the main dining room will usually be closed then. That's what happened when I was on Celebrity.

Hi Geffric! That would be most appreciated. Thanks for the warning about the pool grill. There always seems to be certain restaurants or individuals who just don't get it. I'll keep a closer eye if I decide to try food from there. I'm wondering if I'll need to plan to bring my own food for lunches since the main dining room will usually be closed then. That's what happened when I was on Celebrity.

Karen it is really not necessary to bring your own food , there is lots of gf food at lunch. World cafe is wonderful and so is Mamsen. At Mamsen one can get a wonderful salad and fresh mixed berries or a gf waffle with fresh fruit and brown goat cheese. Pool grill is fine too just watch them if you want a hamburger. They are delicious gf buns and breads.

• 2 months later...

So happy to see this thread. :D I was so impressed with the help I received to eat GF on our Viking River Cruise that it helped convince me to try an ocean cruise. We will sail around Scandinavia next year. I figure this maybe the only way for me to travel now after being badly glutened by what I thought was a safe meal in France last year. I loved the croissant style rolls on the river cruise and hope that Viking will include them on the menu of the ocean cruises.

Karen it is really not necessary to bring your own food , there is lots of gf food at lunch. World cafe is wonderful and so is Mamsen. At Mamsen one can get a wonderful salad and fresh mixed berries or a gf waffle with fresh fruit and brown goat cheese. Pool grill is fine too just watch them if you want a hamburger. They are delicious gf buns and breads.

My brother while not celiac (which is truly a zero tolerance to gluten) follows a gluten free diet. He is just back from his first Viking cruise and had no complaints about being able to get a GF diet while on board. In fact, he was raving about the burgers at the pool grill. I wish I had know about the GF waffles, though, I would have told him about them before he sailed.