Basel to ZHR airport in a timely manner

Kenster

Our Avalon cruise terminates at Basel. Our flight that same morning is at 1010 meeting the requirement for a departure after 1000. I think it's about a one hour drive to the airport.

Assuming that we are among the earliest group to depart the boat that morning, about what time would we be disembarking?

Anyone ever heard of someone missing their flight because of ground transfer issues?

Thanks!

Departing for AMS Saturday afternoon! Sailing Sunday!

Edited by Kenster

No worries: the ground transfer won't be late in Switzerland. Just like in this famous joke :D

------------------------------------------------------------

Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.

------------------------------------------------------------

We flew out of Zurich about 2 weeks ago and everything was just perfect. The airport is also very easy to navigate.

Not sure if you knew (or can take advantage of it), but I think you can give your luggage to the train baggage people and they will check you in to your flight (boarding passes and all) and check your luggage all the way to your destination. There is a fee for that tho (22CHF?).

I've read opposing information - that you can do it when you board your train versus dropping off your luggage the night before.

Having gone the other direction last year....you are cutting it extremely close for that flight leaving from Zurich airport.Tthe train alone is 1 1/2 hrs at least without any congestion...and then airport security...not trying to worry you, but that time frame worries me!

Having gone the other direction last year....you are cutting it extremely close for that flight leaving from Zurich airport.Tthe train alone is 1 1/2 hrs at least without any congestion...and then airport security...not trying to worry you, but that time frame worries me!

I'm just going to have to trust that the people at Globus, through whom we booked this trip, know what they are doing. It's kind of scary to me but I've read elsewhere that people do this all time without a problem.

My understanding is that there is no train involved, rather there are dedicated buses that go straight to the airport. I assume they leave the boat quite early for the approximate one hour drive. We are doing carry-on only bags so shouldn't need to have to deal with the ticket counter. If there is a Premier Line at security, even better!

Keeping my fingers crossed but that's two weeks away so I'll try to worry about it for now and just enjoy the cruise. I will be clarifying with the Cruise Director, though.

We fly out of Houston to Amsterdam this afternoon!

If you purchased transfers from Avalon/Globus or if you have transfers included because you purchased Avalon air, they will take good care of you and

You will get to the airport with time to spare. Your Cruise Director will check with you to make sure your flight times have not changed. CD will publish bus departure times at least by the day before. My educated guess is that your bus will depart the Basel dock at or close 6:00 am. I chose to purchase the transfer from boat to Zuruch for our cruise in June 2014. Have a great voyage. I am sure you will.

It looks like there are two trains that make the Basel SBB to Zurich Airport:

http://www.raileurope-world.com/train-tickets/journey-insights/article/basel-zurich

http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/query.exe/en?

Both look to be about 1 - 1.5 hours in duration.

We are doing the same thing in July, but I just 'assumed' that Avalon would take advantage of the existing mass transit system. I thought they'd take us from the pier to the Basel SBB station and make sure we got on the correct train.

I can't imagine that they'd run several busses over and back. It is a 60 mile trip each way, but now you have me thinking. Hmmmmmm.

Carole, I'll let you know how this works out. There are a max of 130 passengers and I doubt all of them will be flying out that morning. The buses hold 50+

So probably not more that two runs would be necessary. Earliest departures get earliest bus.

Regardless, I'll post back when I've clarified with the CD.

While we didn't travel with Avalon, we did this itinerary with Uniworld and they did use buses, not the trains. I don't recall our flight time but we had booked air thru Uniworld and they had us at the airport in plenty of time.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Well, I stand corrected!!

Just called Avalon and they will take us from the pier to the airport! I was told that what vehicle is used depends on the number of people leaving around the same time - it may be a private vehicle or a motor coach.

She says there aren't any 'schedules', it all just depends on what time everyone is scheduled to fly out, but they will get you to the airport 2-3 hours prior to your flight departute. That would mean that the first run of the day would be in the 6-7am timeframe.

As has been said before, they've done this a bazillion times before. I'm sure they've got it down to a science by now!!

Thanks to ya'll for educating me on this. I was trying to determine how we'd navigate the trains (etal) and now I find out we don't have to!! You guys are the BEST!