A Royal view of a Celebrity cruise. Somewhat live from Silhouette

MattInFLL

Hopefully there won't be an issue with me putting this on the Royal board, but it as meant as a comparison for loyal Royals.

I've not sailed Celebrity for a while and since everyone screams about cost cutting I thought I might be interesting to try the sister line that is still supposed to be a cut above.

You start off right- welcome glass of champagne :

a841a634f9efd264335fed4687d6b45f.jpg

Standard cabin amenities are also a bit better: upgraded toiletries, robes and a tote bag. Plus a larger bathroom

0df48cacf3ae45d3f14cb298cfc99006.jpg

6f72f85e10c1f2a362d1aae24af43632.jpg

7f3b2768471e3e108644f5af572d55ec.jpg

9bbf3b79a2b3f23e46d9dc40de1d98c7.jpg

And while many of you don't like the mini bars, I always do. And I appreciate that they trust us with actually useful items like mini vodkas LOL

ac0ac10326c92faec81df7f3453d1a7a.jpg

By the way this is a 3 day to Nassau which Silhouette never does. That's why I jumped on it.

So I expect the crowd to be a little different than a regular longer Celebrity cruise.

Here's a standard cabin. I think Royal does drawer space better. Here there are 3 deep drawers and since there are no shelves in the closet they have to be useful for non hanging clothes and all your other "stuff".

One very welcome change. Your stateroom TV is not blaring that wash your hands song !

3cc2e206a919c7609fd2c6e8fd11e9f4.jpg

c74f41d44fe9022293c9c11aafc4534a.jpg

ea6f43b485926d829e0b8667629562fe.jpg

102aea948d8538b6352139a11ca8c228.jpg

f558c38a4814095c261d674ca7108e51.jpg

My D+ status gets me Elite on here. Which is sort of equal to Diamond. But not as many benefits but perhaps more useful. For instance, all spa services are about 25% off in port. I get another discount on top of that. I always use the spa so good for me.

And despite the 90 minute free internet listing I actually got an un advertised 30% off unlimited.

5e0ef5b1b6dc73728d782d6a473b4514.jpg

Thank you so much for doing this! We are sailing on this ship in December and although my husband has sailed Celebrity before (pre-me), it was on a smaller ship and many years ago. I on the other hand have not sailed this line yet and am looking forward to your comparisons...and photos around the ship.

I'm Elite on Celebrity which gives me diamond on RCI. I've done mostly X (9 times, 2 on RCI and one on Azamara). I picked my last cruise (on Royal) based on price and itinerary. I dont mind the slightly lower amenities on Royal as the price difference made up for it. I've already booked my next one on Royal as well. The service was terrific for every cruise I've been on, so I don't choose based on that. One thing that I enjoyed on the last night, I stopped in the café for one last beverage and the look on the barista/bartender's face when I handed him an extra gratuity envelope was priceless. That may have been the longest goodbye handshake I've ever had on a cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm pretty sure I just heard on PTZ that they are waiting for 90 passengers. I couldn't tell exactly but I'm almost positive it was Celebrity they were referring to.

Might be a while before sail away!

Update --- pilot just radioed in saying they will not be waiting on the 90 guests. Ouch!

Edited by Jeremiah1212

Thanks for sharing your opinion of the ship differences! We keep talking about giving Celebrity a try but I just hate to give up those beautiful Promenades!!:o Let me know if you missed them much!:rolleyes: Anxious to hear about the difference in prices on board too; although, I've heard they are comparable. Congrats on your weekend getaway and hope you have an exciting time!!;) Wish you could join us again on one of our upcoming adventures! Our 2 adult kids will be joining us on Harmony in October!! Keep in touch dear friend and take care!!

But just when you think you're safe - the wash your hands cartoon is part of muster. Oh well. Everyone clapped along lol

My kids know the song by heart. They were so happy to hear it on Constellation last spring.

Silhouette is probably my favorite ship ever. I love the Solarium, Lawn Club and the Sunset Bar. It is beautiful and bright and never feels crowded.

Here's my cruise photo album if anyone is interested in seeing this beautiful ship.

Celebrity Silhouette, November 2015, Western Caribbean

"Here's a standard cabin. I think Royal does drawer space better. Here there are 3 deep drawers and since there are no shelves in the closet they have to be useful for non hanging clothes and all your other "stuff". "

Assuming you are tall enough to make use of it, there should be a shelf behind the wooden frame above your bed (it opens upward).

Have a great cruise Matt. My MIL and SIL will be sailing on this ship February 19th. It will be my SIL's first cruise. If you go to any specialty restaurants let me know how they were. They have a complimentary dinner and are trying to figure out where to go.

I look forward to following along.

Edited by A&L_Ont

Matt,

Enjoyed reading your impressions of Silhouette. She is our favorite Celebrity ship. We are Elite+ so we do have some additional perks. Wish you had been able to experience AQUA class and BLU.

We sailed Oasis in Dec. and cabin was a big letdown. I think "plain jane" decorated it. We wish Celebrity sailed from Port Canaveral or Tampa as the drive to Ft. Lauderdale is a bit much for us.

Enjoy your brief time on our favorite ship and hope you have an opportunity to come back for a longer cruise.

Grace

I would be posting more but internet speeds here are not Voom speed. You sorta hafta be in the exact right spot to get decent speeds.

84f88d8d12481484ecbe9572429f5b04.jpg

But it actually costs more per day than surf and stream. Glad I have the 30% discount and glad I got an ATT package for Nassau tomorrow.

But all that aside this is a beautiful ship. Completely reminds me of a smaller Anthem and I wonder if they came from the same ship yard?

Sal - thanks for checking in and hope to see you and Tom soon!

Andrew - I think your relatives will love it. It's hard not to :)

I will have to check out the over the bed storage. Didn't notice it but may have had a few cocktails.

MDR was definitely better than Royal. Better service (because more servers it seems) and I thought a definite food upgrade.

But late night options are limited. The buffet area shuts down at 1 and no snacks after that other than room service. But just had a late night made to order pasta and it was quite tasty.

There's also pizza and a selection of fruit cheeses cold cuts and desserts.

And look what I discovered (thanks to you all) - over bed storage

492391b1b5fc0372a6d6dcd4c646fea4.jpg

And thanks to Andrew - never in a cabin without a drape clip :)

70bd4bad8b9a63b08a4f74c9fdb6bbac.jpg

Ship at night:

Solarium

b57b5004306b993944a2a807634752cd.jpg

Main pool

8017641651c3d54313e753897785ec31.jpg

I usually download the largest size photos but like I said, connection speeds are a little slower and I do need to sleep soon...

And another little touch. Your beach towels for a port day are in your cabin. And what's that ? A chocolate?! Another thing from days gone by on Royal lol.

952b253b3e36bcd15383a828dfe52a3f.jpg

So the cabin only has a drape. There's no separate sheer. I didn't realize that as I jumped out of bed and gave the people next door on the Summit a show :)

And I use the term "jump" loosely. But I do miss having a sheer so that you can have light and privacy.

I love breakfast food but I do not like getting up for breakfast. I'm very happy to report Celebrity has a "late breakfast" from 10 to 11:30. And it's not skimpy. Full selection of eggs, bacon, pancakes, French toast, meats, cheeses, fruits, pastries, toast etc. I can't remember if Royal had breakfast this late but I don't think so.

And to give you an idea of the daily activity differences, here is a port day sampling:

1145fc9bf3c93318b5bb73f5376e5bfe.jpg

f25b8ab40cc23dd38cc30b20db130869.jpg

Nary a belly flop or sexiest man contest to be found...

The ship is full of really interesting spaces such as this one on decks 7/8, called the Hideaway. It even has coffee service. The ship is truly more about relaxing and not about rock walls.

e7d9f3a85b9ef3bf617899794a85a9ed.jpg

And that tree is suspended between the aft elevators.

e5e9f5fb8db21f1fe270fc71547d4774.jpg

I would be posting more but internet speeds here are not Voom speed. You sorta hafta be in the exact right spot to get decent speeds.

But all that aside this is a beautiful ship. Completely reminds me of a smaller Anthem and I wonder if they came from the same ship yard?

Yes, both from MeyerWreft.

Seems that Celebrity is about on par with non-O3B ships at about Stream speeds.

I just departed the Silhouette on Jan. 12 after a 4-nighter to Cozumel. I had a deal on a concierge-class cabin, so gave Celebrity my first try. My cabin was 2101 (deck 12) and I don't think I've ever been in a more conveniently placed cabin. It was just steps to elevators, staircase, and the pool deck. I only had to walk up one flight of stairs, and was at the buffet restaurant. I enjoyed Celebrity and the Silhouette very much. They don't often have bargains for solo travelers like me, but I will continue to look!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk