Greece 2005

Do the people in Greece, Croatia, or Italy take American money? Seems the Euros might be the way to go; but if I don't have to change money, I won't. Any favorite items to purchase in any of these locations? I plan to go June 2005. Athens, Santorina, Rhodes, Dubrovnik, Naples, Venice, Corfu, Katakolon, Mykonos, Kusadasi (Ephesus) are some of the ports I will be visiting. Any good advice for favorite places to see????????? Thanks a Bunch for any help!!!!!!! Iris Smyth

Do the people in Greece, Croatia, or Italy take American money? Seems the Euros might be the way to go; but if I don't have to change money, I won't. Any favorite items to purchase in any of these locations? I plan to go June 2005. Athens, Santorina, Rhodes, Dubrovnik, Naples, Venice, Corfu, Katakolon, Mykonos, Kusadasi (Ephesus) are some of the ports I will be visiting. Any good advice for favorite places to see????????? Thanks a Bunch for any help!!!!!!! Iris Smyth

Now let's ask that in reverse.... an Italian is coming to New York City... do you think the average cabbie will take Euros? Not? yeah, I agree. Change your money, you'll have much better luck.

• 8 months later...

Merchants will take dollars in Ephesus but these days they probably prefer Euros. We found we could sometimes negotiate a Euro price into a dollar price (same number), so it was a bargaining point.

I am from Canada, but live in Europe. Getting Euros here with a North American cash card is as easy as getting dollars in North America. You just go to an ATM machine and the exchange rate is usually better at an ATM than at a cash exchange booth. The only thing you need to watch for is that your card is compatable with the ATM. There are symbols on the back of cash cards which indicate what ATM machines will accept them. If the ATM machine you want to use displays one of the symbols on the back of your card, it will work. For example, the "Plus" symbol is displayed on most European ATM's and is on most North American cash cards. Hope this helps.

Athens: if you're interested in shopping, go to the Plaka. It's multiple, narrow, cobblestone streets with all kinds of shops. I got my favorite Greek Key earrings there. There is a free shuttle that serves the Plaka (leave the driver a Euro, though).

The Parthenon and Acropolis are in the MIDDLE of the city, up on a hill and surrounded by crowded apartments, etc. You cannot walk close to the buildings, and it's a steep walk. However, to be there at all is rather impressive.

A side trip to Delphi was fantastic. Delphi is a gorgeous ruin up in the mountains. Very impressive, and you get much closer to the buildings and artifacfts. The tour usually includes lunch on the way back since it's about an hour drive to get up there.

Santorina: take the tram up to the top of the town. The switchback road up, with or without the donkey ride, makes you pay too much attention to your feet or the path, and you'll miss the breathtaking view.

We bussed to the other side of the island and went to the beach. Ask about it, and the bus station is a few blocks in. Busfare was 1 Euro each.

Rhodes: walk inside the walled city and go through the Knights Templar palace. Very interesting, and not expensive.

Dubrovnik: I won't be there until this October, so no comments right now.

Naples: Wow! Choices here! The three "biggees" are Pompeii, Capri, and the Amalfi Coast. We went to Pompeii, and it was fascinating. However, look at my Ephasus comments and then decide.

Venice and Corfu: not until this October!

Katakolon, Mykonos: Never been.

Kusadasi (Ephesus): Esphesus is fabulous. Unlike Pompeii, it still has some of it's marble facades, and the two story library is amazing. Similar to walking Pompeii, but more of a religious emphasis, since this is where Paul was imprisoned and preached.

Hope this helps you.

Archived