Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Holland America Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Holland America Line
Read thousands of Holland America Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Holland America Cruise Deals

How to Organize a Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle (Meet & Greet) on Board Your Holland America Cruise

NEW! Find Your HOLLAND AMERICA Roll Call

Old March 6th, 2008, 09:19 PM
5,000+ Club

Default Cabins across from the launderette

Anyone ever have a room across from a launderette? Just wondering if it would be very noisy. I just switched to a guarenteed room to get a nice savings. I see that a couple of the rooms in that category are across from the launderette. Just want to be prepared mentally in case that is what we get.

Old March 6th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

We had a cabin on the Statendam across from the laundry room and never heard a thing. It was very convenient the day I did some laundry.

Old March 6th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default No problem with noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAPERSON View Post
We had a cabin on the Statendam across from the laundry room and never heard a thing. It was very convenient the day I did some laundry.
Same here. In October and November we were on the Verandah deck, on the Amsterdam, in a suite directly across from the launderette and didn't hear a thing, nor did it congest the hall. In fact, it was a good deal having it there, since we only had to take a couple of steps to check if a machine was available. On our next trip we aren't as close to the laundry but have decided to buy the dry clean package. If we did that on the last long voyage it have been perfect.

Last edited by kennicott; March 6th, 2008 at 09:52 PM.

Old March 6th, 2008, 10:27 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAPERSON View Post
Thanks!! Just what i was hoping to hear. We are doing an independent land tour after the cruise and I thought it could be a good thing to be near the launderette. Of course, I won't know what cabin I am getting, but I think that will part of the fun with our first cruise.

Old March 6th, 2008, 10:28 PM
10,000+ Club

I had a cabin across from the laundry on one cruise and the only time I heard anything was when the door was open and there were several people in there talking. It didn't happen very often.

Royal Viking Star 6/90 Bermuda

Veendam 11/29/03 WesternCaribbean
Statendam 6/20/04 Alaska
Statendam 6/27/04 Alaska

Zuiderdam 11/13/04 Eastern Caribbean

Rotterdam 2/14/05 Panama Canal

Zuiderdam 11/12/05 Southern Caribbean
Noordam 2/7/07 EasternCaribbean

Noordam 2/6/08 Eastern Caribbean

Eurodam 8/29/08 NYC 3 day Inaugural Cruise
Maasdam 1/28/11 Southern Caribbean

Maasdam 6/11/11 N. Eng/Canada

Maasdam 1/13/12 Southern Caribbean

Veendam 6/17/12 Bermuda

Maasdam 4/22/ 13 Eastern Caribbean

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 6th, 2008, 10:29 PM
10,000+ Club

I had a room just outside the launderette and it was incredibly noisy! The hen party started early in the morning and continued until late in the night. This room was an upgrade for me. I would never pick this room on my own.

cruzchic2 at yahoo dot ca

4 Star mariner on HAL/Elite on Princess

Old March 6th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were upgraded once on the Zaandam to a "C" cabin on the lower promenade deck directly across from the laundry. This was one of the best rooms we've ever had: the iron & ironing board in the laundry room were very helpful on formal nights; we were just a few steps from the promenade deck (or as we liked to refer to it as the largest verandah on the ship); and there was a men's room right next to the laundry room which came in real handy when the cabin bathroom was occupied.

Old March 6th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Laundry was much quieter than being across from the pantry where cabin stewards congregate! That was BAD!

Old March 6th, 2008, 11:38 PM
30,000+ Club

Smile

On the S-class ships my preferred cabin is next to the laundry on Lower Promenade. The location is otherwise great anyway, and having the laundry nearby is a plus.
Never had any problem with noise.

I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter.

Old March 6th, 2008, 11:45 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuthC View Post
On the S-class ships my preferred cabin is next to the laundry on Lower Promenade. The location is otherwise great anyway, and having the laundry nearby is a plus.
Never had any problem with noise.
One of my favorite locations on the S class.

Who always dresses for dinner and does not notice what you are wearing, unless there is a pineapple on your head.

Old March 6th, 2008, 11:49 PM
10,000+ Club

Just wondering if those who didn't hear a peep were right in front of it or a couple of cabins down. My cabin was directly in front. I would think it would be ok if you were several cabins away from it.

I remember another post were this was discussed and several others had the same experience as mine.

Old March 7th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorekauf View Post
Just wondering if those who didn't hear a peep were right in front of it or a couple of cabins down.
I could almost touch the launderette door while touching our own. On the Amsterdam the Launderettes donít have that many machines to facilitate even a small group of gabbers. If it so occurred though, and if the chatters migrated out into the hall, they would have been objects of scorn. The only negative goings-on that were similar to what you experienced, and only on a couple of occasions, was misuse of the phone in the launderette. I donít know who these folk could been having lengthy gab sessions with, like everyone seems to do with cell phones anymore on land, but they managed to find someone to talk to. They would stretch the cord out into the hall, close the launderette door, and blab away. I thought about saying something then realized that it wasnít really bugging me and we couldnít hear a bit of their chatter in our room anyway. In summary, I would opt for a room close to the launderette if given a choice.

Old March 7th, 2008, 10:33 AM
10,000+ Club

It could have been the length of my cruise that was the issue. It was a 20 day. Lots of people needing lots on laundry done. It was also very hot so they had the door open. When it was closed you couldn't hear anything. When the door was open it was a free for all party!

Old March 7th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Last fall my wife and I were on the Amsterdam for 64 days and our cabin was across the hall from the laundry and the cabin stewards' 'work area.' Never heard a peep. Of course, we did not spend a lot of time in our cabin. Too many other things to do.

Old March 8th, 2008, 11:05 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padraic View Post
Last fall my wife and I were on the Amsterdam for 64 days and our cabin was across the hall from the laundry and the cabin stewards' 'work area.' Never heard a peep. Of course, we did not spend a lot of time in our cabin. Too many other things to do.
They really have 64 day cruises?

Old March 9th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

We were one off from facing the door, to the laundry on deck five of the Ryndam, our travelling companions were directly opposite. My deafness made it a non-issue for me, how ever traveling companion mentioned several times it being a undesirable low level irritant. Open the door to a group of strangers, all happily chatting about their day. Drive some people batty others, not a big deal. Don't think it would effect my cruise, but best be aware.

Old March 9th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbmom87 View Post
Not too late to join up for a 73 dayer either. We leave tomorrow afternoon but the ship doesn't depart until Tuesday. Lots of room and good deals. Check out the Prinsendam.

Old March 9th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbmom87 View Post
Not only 64 day cruises, they have World Cruises that generally are more than 100 days.

Old March 9th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

We are thinking of moving to a room on the main deck that is about 5 cabins down on the opposite side of the hall going toward the bow. We will be on the Zaandam in August. I have been told by Holland reservation reps. that that the laundry room only has certain hours of operation (I was told that the laundry closes at around 9 PM, and the rep. was not certain when it opened) as to not to disturb the guests at night. They told me to contact Ships Services which is closed today. Can anyone confirm that the laundry room does indeed close in the evening and does anyone know when it opens back up in the morning?

Last edited by davbensch; March 9th, 2008 at 04:35 PM.

Old March 9th, 2008, 05:41 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbensch View Post
We are thinking of moving to a room on the main deck that is about 5 cabins down on the opposite side of the hall going toward the bow. We will be on the Zaandam in August. I have been told by Holland reservation reps. that that the laundry room only has certain hours of operation (I was told that the laundry closes at around 9 PM, and the rep. was not certain when it opened) as to not to disturb the guests at night. They told me to contact Ships Services which is closed today. Can anyone confirm that the laundry room does indeed close in the evening and does anyone know when it opens back up in the morning?
Yes it does for sure close in the evening. I want to say about 10pm but I could be wrong. I'm thinking it would open up around 7am because I was awakened many mornings. I am not a late sleeper so I don't think it was anything like 8am or I would have been up. My laundry cabin was in Apr.06 so it hard to recall the hours.