Repositioning Cruises

Cyclone92

I am relatively new to this board and until coming here, I had never heard of a repositioning cruise. I understand the premise of the cruise as the name "repositioning" is pretty straight forward. I am looking for more specific information about these types of cruises as I cannot find much information about them.

Some of the things I am wondering about...

Are the prices similar to a "normal" cruise?

Generally, how long are repositioning cruises?

Do they stop at a similar number of ports as "normal" cruises?

Where can find and book repositioning cruises?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Alex

There are all types of repositioning cruises.

Some will go from Ft Lauderdale or Tampa to Seattle or Vancouver for the Alaskan season -- usually in April -- then in September/Oct then head back to the Caribbean -- these cruises can be found on HAL's site under Panama Canal. usually are 19 - 21 days.

Then there cruises that go from Ft lauderdale or Tampa to various ports in Europe -- usually in April and return in the fall to the Caribbean -- called TransAtlantic cruises.

You also have a ship moving from Ft Lauderdale to Montreal to do Canada/New England cruises.

Sometimes some of them will stop at some "regular" ports -- most don't.

Hope this helps a little.

I am relatively new to this board and until coming here, I had never heard of a repositioning cruise. I understand the premise of the cruise as the name "repositioning" is pretty straight forward. I am looking for more specific information about these types of cruises as I cannot find much information about them.

Are the prices similar to a "normal" cruise? For the most part, yes, but you can get some pretty good prices.

Generally, how long are repositioning cruises? As mentioned, they can vary in length. A very few days, or up to 20 or 21 is common.The long ones seem to be very attractive to a number of people, including ourselves.

Do they stop at a similar number of ports as "normal" cruises? On the longer re-pos, they seem to have a larger number of sea days, due to the fact they are really trying to move the ship from one location to another. This does give access to some ports that may not be covered in "normal" cruises.

Where can find and book repositioning cruises? Same place you find and book any other cruise. Look for change in "cruise season," as KK is implying. April for Trans Atlantics, and moving ships from Florida to Alaska. Sept/Oct for bringing those ships back (into November now for returns from Europe. Sept/Oct for ships moving from the Alaska to Australia, and April for bringing them back.

Alex

Re-pos used to be great deals, because they had to move the ship, and whatever revenus they got was added. However, people have discovered that, and re-pos are not as cheap, usually and relatively, as they used to be.

You can find a lot of short (usually West Coast) repo cruises by going to the HAL site Find A Cruise and specifying Any Ship, 1 to 5 days duration. They are usually a little cheaper per day than longer cruises.

i have found very good bargains on these. the downside is usually the airfare is more because you are not flying round-trip. look on the cruise air forum for ways around this.

Varies, but usually 16+ days.

The best thing about repos is they often visit unusual ports.

Look at the start or end of the 'seasons'. for example, in the fall ships move from the med to the carib. springtime it reverse. some move up to alaska for the summer - you get the idea. some travel websites list these as a separate category.

Some online cruise agencies offer "repositioning" as a search option. My favorite agency showed about 100 repositioning cruises lasting from 3 to 49 nights at prices from $209 to $17,698.

Basically it is when a ship changes home ports for a season. Right now the fleet is either in Europe or Alaska. During the Caribbean season many ships home-ported at Ft Lauderdale or Tampa or San Diego. Then these ships either go to Seattle, Vancouver or Europe to operate out of these places.

There are also the Trans Pacific cruises, for example the Volendam September 7th, departs Vancouver for a 26 day journey to Sydney, Australia;

the Zaandam departs from San Diego October 30th 25 days to Sydney.

The ships are "downunder" for our summer season, then head back to USA

for Alaska season, via Asian ports.

There are lots of choices for you to consider.

We have done several different repositioning cruises -- and loved them all.

Did not get any bargains price wise on them.

i had an inside on carnival for one repo cruise - it was $800 for 16 nights (med and transatlantic), and i was going solo. such a deal.

Just got back from the final segment of a "repo" cruise! Volendam from Kobe (Japan) to Vancouver - 17 days. 2nd segment after dry-dock in Singapore. Visited S. Korea, Russia, and then Kodiak and Sitka! (Was a re-route from original Japanese itinerary).

Great cruise and definitely something to consider.

There are some incredible prices on transatlantic cruises. I find 11 Royal Caribbean cruises lasting 13 to 16 nights priced at under $600. The Ryndam's 17 night Barcelona to Tampa cruise departing November 3, 2011 is priced at $1099.

. . . often comes with a TransAtlantic since there are many sea days, and thus lower port fees. I love sea days so find those cruises most desirable. However, with airfares so high, you have to figure that European flight in with the cruise fee in order to determine what is affordable.

And the down side, some cruisers don't like sea days. Fortunately, DH and I both love that relaxation time . . . it's one of the reasons we cruise - to escape of "busyness" of life at home.

You'll have to try it to know what is good for you!!!

Alex

Usually much cheaper and many more sea days.

There is one next year on the new Celebrity ship for 15 nights from Rome to Ft Lauderdale with about 5 ports (including ports for Florence, Barcelona, Milan, Provence, Canary Islands) and the price for their AQ class is unbelievable (private dining room for lunch and dinner, smoothies included for breakfast etc., specialty teas brought each day, champagne bottle upon embarkation and unlimited access to their ceramic loungers, priority embark, disembark) at approx. $3,500.00 for two people including taxes.

Remember, this pricing is for the category right below the Suite level.

I have done two of these and really enjoyed both. The first was 42 days from LA to Sydney via Hawaii, South Pacific islands, and New Zealand. The second cruise was Rio, Buenos Aieres, Amazon, Caribbean, FL, ending in NYC, for 45 days. The second cruise was very port intensive, never more than one or two sea days in a row. The first cruise was also port intensive, but there were two long sea legs (4.5 to Hawaii and 5 from Hawaii to American Samoa). In both cases the price per day was good and the experience fantastic. In both cases the ship was repositioning.

We have done two repo cruises: LA-Vancouver 3 day and San Diego-Vancouver 6day.

The first one was before repo cruises became popular. There were 188 pax on the Amsterdam. It was cheap enough for the kids to get their own room. Kids still think that was their best cruise.

The 6day on the Zaandam was full, it wasn't a bargain but a good per day price.

We have done two repo cruises from San Deigo to Vancouver both times. On the 4 day we got a fantastic deal on a deluxe suite. We paid more (per day) on the 6 day, but the ports were worth it plus a 6 day was long enough to justify flying in.

DaveOKC

Just adding my $.02...Wanted to give you a feel of what the schedule was.

I did a transatlantic on Norwegian a few years ago. We left out of Miami and were on the ship for 14 nights. The for 5-6 days were ship/sea only. To me it was great! We had all that time to just relax, explore the ship and all it had to offer(NCL had about 11 restaurants I think). Then the next week was all ports. Ponta DelGado-Portugal, Madeira-Portugla, Nice-France, Livorno-Italy, Monaco/Monte Carlo-France, Barcelona-Spain..Ending in Spain and flying home from there. I apoligize if I misspelled anything, and I think I may have missed a port.

The total for the cruise itself was about $699 (inside).

Airfare was about $600-700, If I remember correctly.

Hope this helps!

Have to say we love the Europe/Med cruises with the transatlantics. You can tear around and explore and then have about 7 days to relax and recupe and no jet lag:D Ports are different, interesting and the days at sea we really enjoy.

Our first transatlantic - I was nervous - what are we going to do? Those days flew by and we really enjoyed it. Some are a bargain, some are not. It depends upon how sales go and what ports they visit. But it is a very nice experience IMO:rolleyes: Have fun planning:)

repositioning trips are where you can find the best deals

keep an eye out for--

ft lauderdale to barcelona/rome--15/16 nights. inside cabins will go on-sale for under $800. in fact the one which just left about 2 weeks ago was listed for $649/pp the week of departure.

san diego-hawaii-vancouver or reverse in may and october-- +/-15 nights, on-sale for $1000/1100

Archived