Help Please! Never bought trip insurance before

I heard it helps if you list the youngest adult first as the primary traveler. I think for the 2 of us for $200. it cost $113. I'm 59.

Also, remember that after the 10 or 15 day lookover period that the insurance states, the amount of the insurance is non-refundable if you cancel before any penalties from the cruise line etc. They will allow you to use the credit towards another trip, usually within a year.

• 1 month later...
I'm not sure about adding a person later to the same policy, but I'm sure you can find this out. What I have read somewhere is that when you're putting in the ages of the people travelling list the youngest 1st, because age matters. Yes, you can definitely add to it as far as money goes. I just start with insuring the deposit and if I purchase airfare I include that, too. Even if you use air miles and there's a re-deposit fee, etc. if u have to cancel.

I usually use insuremytrip. My cruise for next year I booked with an online cruise agency. She told me that their travel insurance was cheaper then anywhere else and the age of the travelers didn't make the price go up. The only thing was that if you cancel that cruise booked with them before final payment you will not get the insurance money back, but the could put it towards another cruise if it's booked through them.

".... If it sounds too good to be true...."

Also, get a credit card like United's Explorer Visa, which reimburses cancelled travel purchases (for covered reasons) up to $10k.

Note, however, that you still will need health insurance that covers international charges and evac (to the US as opposed to the nearest hospital.

Check out Travelex policies. The middle of their 3 comp policies ("Select") gets you the most bang for your buck. Two folks over 60 with an $11,000 cruise cost will set you back about $500/person. Note that it is a primary payer.

I heard it helps if you list the youngest adult first as the primary traveler. I think for the 2 of us for $200. it cost $113. I'm 59.

Also, remember that after the 10 or 15 day lookover period that the insurance states, the amount of the insurance is non-refundable if you cancel before any penalties from the cruise line etc. They will allow you to use the credit towards another trip, usually within a year.

Have you closely examined what you get for $200? Either your total cruise cost is well under $2000 or some element of the policy is suspect. Is the policy a primary payer and does it include no-deductible health coverage at 100% with limits well over $50k per traveler? Is the evac for "back to the US" (vs nearest hospital). What are the covered cancel reasons?

Etc etc. read your fine print.

Have you closely examined what you get for $200? Either your total cruise cost is well under $2000 or some element of the policy is suspect. Is the policy a primary payer and does it include no-deductible health coverage at 100% with limits well over $50k per traveler? Is the evac for "back to the US" (vs nearest hospital). What are the covered cancel reasons?

Etc etc. read your fine print.

Yep! The TOTAL cost of the cruise is way under $2000. for 2 of us for 10 days in a balcony cabin in Oct.:p