A zillion stupid questions - Pacific Sun

Pikachu052

Hi There

I am about to go on another cruise after 25 years and have completely forgotten some stuff. Hope you don't mind answering some silly questions :confused:. Cruise is N930 departing from brissie on 26 Sept.

1. How much to use the washing machines and dryers? I will bring my own powder and appropriate coinage

2. I love my cuppa tea first thing when I get up and found a cheap plastic kettle. Do you think it would be ok to pack it? Don't mind leaving it behind at $10

3. Duty free grog. I am flying from Canberra to Brisbane to depart but stopping off in Sydney on the way through. Would it be cheaper to pick up my DF grog from Sydney airport than purchase my Baileys Coffee and Jim Beam from the ship?. Also I presume they store it if I do? (page 7 of cruising guide)

4. Is it worth taking your own bottled water or is the ship stuff ok?

5. As this cruise is during school holidays and to avoid a "feeding time at the zoo" scenario, what is the best time to go to the buffet for brekkie.

6. Prices of drinks have been mentioned at $5 for a beer and $8-10 for cocktails. How much for a middle of the road bottle of red wine? Can you buy it by the bottle in all bars? I usually find it cheaper to do this than buy it by the glass.

7. Can I take the leftover (hehe leftover, as if) wine back to my room?

8. The Taste of Port Vila tour is in my shore tours book, but not on my tour reservation form that came with my tickets. Does this mean it has been ditched?

9. If the above is gone. Has anyone done the Scenic Drive with Wine and Cheese Stop? What did you think?

10. As there are 4 of us, we were thinking of hiring a cab for the day in Vila. I did this in Suva years ago. For around a 3 hour trip, what would be a good price to offer the cab driver? Don't want to insult them.

11. On the 7 night cruise, what nights (roughly) are the themed nights. There is an Island night and a Country and Western night. I need o get some hawaiian gear so wondering if it was best to bring or if it is after an island visit, to buy from the locals.

and least but probably not last........

12. If the ship docks at 6am, How long roughly does it take to get off and clear customs.

Many thanks for reading my ramblings and in advance for your responses.

:p :D :o :D :rolleyes:

Hi There

I am about to go on another cruise after 25 years and have completely forgotten some stuff. Hope you don't mind answering some silly questions :confused:. Cruise is N930 departing from brissie on 26 Sept.

1. How much to use the washing machines and dryers? I will bring my own powder and appropriate coinage

2. I love my cuppa tea first thing when I get up and found a cheap plastic kettle. Do you think it would be ok to pack it? Don't mind leaving it behind at $10

3. Duty free grog. I am flying from Canberra to Brisbane to depart but stopping off in Sydney on the way through. Would it be cheaper to pick up my DF grog from Sydney airport than purchase my Baileys Coffee and Jim Beam from the ship?. Also I presume they store it if I do? (page 7 of cruising guide)

4. Is it worth taking your own bottled water or is the ship stuff ok?

5. As this cruise is during school holidays and to avoid a "feeding time at the zoo" scenario, what is the best time to go to the buffet for brekkie.

6. Prices of drinks have been mentioned at $5 for a beer and $8-10 for cocktails. How much for a middle of the road bottle of red wine? Can you buy it by the bottle in all bars? I usually find it cheaper to do this than buy it by the glass.

7. Can I take the leftover (hehe leftover, as if) wine back to my room?

8. The Taste of Port Vila tour is in my shore tours book, but not on my tour reservation form that came with my tickets. Does this mean it has been ditched?

9. If the above is gone. Has anyone done the Scenic Drive with Wine and Cheese Stop? What did you think?

10. As there are 4 of us, we were thinking of hiring a cab for the day in Vila. I did this in Suva years ago. For around a 3 hour trip, what would be a good price to offer the cab driver? Don't want to insult them.

11. On the 7 night cruise, what nights (roughly) are the themed nights. There is an Island night and a Country and Western night. I need o get some hawaiian gear so wondering if it was best to bring or if it is after an island visit, to buy from the locals.

and least but probably not last........

12. If the ship docks at 6am, How long roughly does it take to get off and clear customs.

Many thanks for reading my ramblings and in advance for your responses.

:p :D :o :D :rolleyes:

Get up early sit in the empty spas and have a nibble on the health nutters early breakfast from 6am,then have breakfast in the dinning room to miss the hoards of kids wanting "Chips" for breakfast that aint there!

If you get the kettle through it may blow the fuses in the cabin?

Tea and coffee is available 24 hours,take travel mugs as its easier to walk back to the cabin, cup and saucers are a bit of a challenge in lifts and stairs.

Water on board is de sal and safe to drink with no taste,dont waste money on bottled water, all the ice is made from de sal as well.

Duty free booze will be taken off you and stowed until you get off.

You are flying domestic,can you get duty free that easily from Sydney airport? I have only flown Sydney domestic so have never seen Duty free!

Last time we bought wine at dinner and took it back to our cabin,also bought bottles of wine at the bar and took it back to the cabin.

Grass skirts lays and shirts can be bought in port before island night on most cruises.

I have always been off the ship by 9-9.30, the time they let you off depends on the time of your flight home,this you write down on a disimbarkasion form they give you at the end of the cruise.

Den

1. How much to use the washing machines and dryers? I will bring my own powder and appropriate coinage. It's a dollar to wash, a dollar to dry and a dollar for powder.

2. I love my cuppa tea first thing when I get up and found a cheap plastic kettle. Do you think it would be ok to pack it? Don't mind leaving it behind at $10 No, leave the jug at home. Go up on deck for your first cuppa. It's open for service before dawn.

Duty free at Syney airport is only for international travellers. Vila (Fung Kwei's is very popular and cheaper than the ships liqour.) 4. Is it worth taking your own bottled water or is the ship stuff ok?

It weighs too much and the desalinated water is fine. There is also a large bottle left in your room if you choose to drink that ...but it costs.

Fancy a 5.30am breakfast while the darlings are still asleep?

Not a wine drinker, but I guess it would be cheaper by the glass.7. Can I take the leftover (hehe leftover, as if) wine back to my room?

The waiters will keep it for you if you like until the next dinner sitting.

I've not see people walking out of the reastuarant with a half bottle of wine, but I can't be sure about P&O rituals.8. The Taste of Port Vila tour is in my shore tours book, but not on my tour reservation form that came with my tickets. Does this mean it has been ditched? The booklets are sometimes out of date, so I'd say it's been scraped.

9. If the above is gone. Has anyone done the Scenic Drive with Wine and Cheese Stop? What did you think? We are doing a similar one in Noumea on the Choo-Choo. Looks like a bit of fun but ours has the french pastries and champagne as the highlight.

Can't help here, but the locals drive on the reckess side and don't follow road rules, so be careful.

The island night is the one most people will dress for. I'd get something before you go.and least but probably not last........

If it's on time, I'd say you'd be off by 10am.

Hope that helps a bit. Enjoy your cruise.

Cheers,

Anna

Thanks Anna and Den, you are brilliant.

Nah don't fancy a 5.30am or 6am breakfast unless I am on my way to bed. Might try going 15 mins before it is finished or skip all together. Might take some snacks from home.

In regard to the DF, I can also buy in Canberra and take with me, was just trying to get what i want at the cheapest price as I want a specific sort of Baileys, Baileys coffee, which is newish and don't want to miss out. I guess for a couple of bucks, compared to what I will spend during that week, I shouldn't fuss.

Thanks Anna for the Tchou Tchou train info. I went on one similar when I was in Nice and it was pretty good. Might give it a burl.

Lastly I have now packed an insulated travel mug for tea and coffee.

Ta's all round

Hi Pikachu

We're on this cruise too. You should go over to the roll calls section and join. Not many of us there yet. This is our first cruise and yes we have little darlings with us, but then it is a school holiday cruise so to be expected. I've also been over to Facebook where P&O have set up, link from their website and there is a few people there too, mostly young ones looking to party.

We are going to do the Train in Noumea but not booking through P&O at $59 each, have read heaps of times to just book when you get there at the wharf and it is $25 adults but doesn't include the champers and pastries - but who cares. Also buying our DF in Vila, and just snorkelling in Lifou.

Getting very excited in our house, 35 days to go, can't wait.

Cheers

Jingles.:D

Hey Jingles, joined the roll call last night.

Hey Clive, you think at 45 I would have a better one, but my son wanted me to use it when he was younger and it stuck. Besides Pikachu is such a little cutie :rolleyes:

We are going to do the Night Train in Noumea, the Scenic Drive in Lifou and hire a taxi for a couple of hours in Vila. We will book through P&O as we are too lazy to do organise anything ourselves.

We are going to do the Train in Noumea but not booking through P&O at $59 each, have read heaps of times to just book when you get there at the wharf and it is $25 adults but doesn't include the champers and pastries - but who cares. Also buying our DF in Vila, and just snorkelling in Lifou.

Hi Jingles,

If you only have a few hours in Noumea then the little train may be "booked out" by the ship...or are there several of these trains?

Pikachu, the thermos mugs are a top idea, but I don't think you can take spirits on board. Princess allow you a few bottles of wine, but I don't know what the score is with P&O. Happy you found the roll call.

Cheers,

Anna

Hey Jungles, I tend to agree with Anna, only because we need to have the booking form back to P&O by 16 September. I guess so they can book the train out. It is a big saving though for a family of 4.

Anna, the Baileys is my DF for home, so don't mind if they hold it. I remember the first time we went, they didn't hold it and we drank all of our DF then bought more to bring home.

Anyone know why you can't take wine on board out of curiousity? Is it just so they have the monopoly on your spending $$$ on onboard vino?

Because really I have never heard of such a thing, I always carry wine when I travel, because you never know what quality is going to be at the other end and I love my wine.

Hi Jingles,

If you only have a few hours in Noumea then the little train may be "booked out" by the ship...or are there several of these trains?

Hi Kinkacruiser,

From what I've read there are a few of these "trains" and P&O book the "yellow" train but the others "blue etc" are exactly the same but you don't get the champagne and pastry. Also they say to sit in the front 2 carriages as the last ones swing around a bit. Will know in about 35 days.

Cheers

Jingles.:)

Sorry I can't answer all your questions but will try to where I can!

2. I love my cuppa tea first thing when I get up and found a cheap plastic kettle. Do you think it would be ok to pack it? Don't mind leaving it behind at $10 I would suggest to check with P&O as some cruise ships such as Pacific Dawn have 24 hour drink stations where you can make yourself a hot drink. They have hot water, various coffee and tea blends etc. As others have said, the travel mugs are a good idea so you can walk around with your drink without spilling it. I would also recommend to take a powerboard with you as the cabins generally have just the one powerpoint. This is especially useful if you are taking an alarm clock, battery charger, a hairdryer (if you prefer your own), a laptop, a mobile phone etc.

3. Duty free grog. I am flying from Canberra to Brisbane to depart but stopping off in Sydney on the way through. Would it be cheaper to pick up my DF grog from Sydney airport than purchase my Baileys Coffee and Jim Beam from the ship?. Also I presume they store it if I do? (page 7 of cruising guide) As you are flying domestic, I don't think you will be able to purchase duty free at the airports as I am pretty sure you need to show an international ticket to be able to purchase duty free. You can purchase onboard or I would recommend Fung Kwei in Port Vila. They offer very cheap pricing for alcohol and cigarettes. Prouds in Port Vila offers good pricing on perfumes.

4. Is it worth taking your own bottled water or is the ship stuff ok? The water on the ship is perfectly fine. You can shower / brush your teeth with no worries at all. You do not have to worry about the water in the dining room and ice cubes etc. The ship does have bottled water for sale to either be drunk in the room, or you can purchase bottles to take to the ports. I would highly recommend you take a bottle of water with you to the ports. The ship sells both small and large bottles of water and prices are reasonable. Alternatively, you can bring empty water bottles from home and fill them up on the ship. Either way, ensure you have water with you at the ports as I am not sure how safe the drinking water is on the islands. I wouldn't worry about bringing bottled water with you from home, especially as you are flying and need to consider the weight of your luggage. P&O's pricing is reasonable if you wish to purchase water onboard.

I have often cruised during school holidays and it isn't as bad as you would think. Rarely do you notice that you are onboard with another 2000 passengers. To avoid some noise and smaller children, I would recommend breakfast at the Dining Room. It is a much more relaxed experience at any time in the morning.

7. Can I take the leftover (hehe leftover, as if) wine back to my room? I am pretty sure you can take it back to your room or the waiter can keep it for you, for the next night's dinner.

8. The Taste of Port Vila tour is in my shore tours book, but not on my tour reservation form that came with my tickets. Does this mean it has been ditched? Unfortunately, it sounds like it has been cancelled. But I would call P&O to confirm.

11. On the 7 night cruise, what nights (roughly) are the themed nights. There is an Island night and a Country and Western night. I need o get some hawaiian gear so wondering if it was best to bring or if it is after an island visit, to buy from the locals. Looking at your itinery, I would say that island night will most likely be after your visit to Port Vila, as at Port Vila, the locals set up stalls with souveniers and island ware etc. But in saying this, it may be done earlier on the cruise. I would suggest to perhaps take something with you, just incase it is done earlier in the cruise (etc, Hawaiian shirt). Maybe someone who has done your cruise can offer some insight on this.

P&O usually let the passengers off on a basis of who has P&O flights / early flights first etc. Before the end of the cruise, they will give you a disembarkation form where you will be able to indicate your flight details etc, and the order will be based upon everyone's answers. Usually, those on P&O booked flights are first off, followed by others in order. If you have booked P&O flights, you can expect to be off the ship from 8.30am onwards. But if you do not have P&O flights, it can be anytime up to about 11.00am. But this will depend on if the ship is running late etc. Once you disembark, customs is fairly quick if you don't have anything to declare and not too many queues. If you are booking your own flights home, I would not book anything for the morning.

Hope these have helped, feel free to ask any other questions you may have! :)

Hi Kinkacruiser,

From what I've read there are a few of these "trains" and P&O book the "yellow" train but the others "blue etc" are exactly the same but you don't get the champagne and pastry. Also they say to sit in the front 2 carriages as the last ones swing around a bit. Will know in about 35 days.

Cheers

Jingles.:)

Hi Jingles,

Thanks for the tip about the front two carriages. Happy to hear also that there are more. It wouldn't be very sporting to hog the only choo-choo in Noumea. We missed out on this fun on our last trip to Noumea.

Cheers,

Anna

11. On the 7 night cruise, what nights (roughly) are the themed nights. There is an Island night and a Country and Western night. I need o get some hawaiian gear so wondering if it was best to bring (only if you already have it) or if it is after an island visit, to buy from the locals. (this is easier as you will be in Port Vila that day)

Hi, hubby and I did this cruise last October - hope this helps.

1st night (Sat) - smart casual

2nd night (Sun) - formal

3rd night (Mon) - Noumea - smart casual / country and western

4th night (Tue) - Lifou - smart casual / rock 'n' roll

5th night (Wed) - Port Vila - smart casual / island

6th night (Thu) - formal

7th night (Fri) - smart casual

Just a note on the Travel mugs,I am pretty sure that I couldn't fit the tall ones under the hot water dispenser on the Pacific sun,so on the Dawn I took the shorter stouter ones.;)

Den

Thanks Den for the tip!

What were the approximate measurements of the shorter travel mugs you used?

Do they sell travel mugs onboard? If so, do you have any idea of price?

I think I read somewhere that you get a free travel mug with the soda package with RCI so that would be useful for RCI cruises.

Thanks for your assistance!!! :)

Archived