Naples, can you do-it-your own?

PC168

We will be in Naples from Mariner OTS on May 24 from 7:00 - 18:30, can we do-it-ourselves in this city and what are must see. How far of a walk from the cruise port to the city. A detail map link would be greatly appreciated.

We are active people and can walk miles...

Many thanks and greatly appreciated if anyone had done this before and would not mind to share this wonderful information.

I've never been, but based on what I've read, Naples may be one of the easiest cities to tour on your own. Steps away from the cruise terminal, you have your choice of

1) Transportation to get you the heck out of Naples, a gritty city with a reputation for grime and crime. The historical city of Pompeii, as well as beautiful and tourist friendly Sorrento and Capri are all easy day trips.

2) Assuming you are willing to stick around, the city itself is just off the ship and filled with amazing art, culture, history, etc.

Here's a site with a map and good introduction to the major attractions in town. Note that the cruise terminal is next to what is labeled "ferry ports" on the map.

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/naples/tourist_sights.htm

Things I'm personally most excited about:

1) Walking along Spacconapoli, absorbing the atmosphere, getting pizza in the spiritual home of pizza.

2) Seeing the statues in the Cappella Sansevero

3) The "Museo Archeologico ****onale" (er, the National Archeological Museum. Apparently, Cruise Critic doesn't like the way "National" is spelled in Italian).

If you are into traditional paintings, the Capodimonte Museum is supposed to be spectacular.

Here's a link to the December issue of a free local guide with tons of good info. Be sure to check back and get the latest issue before you leave. If nothing else, be sure to check out the picture on page 82, which should help you understand the relationship of the ships to the city.

http://www.inaples.it/public/quinapoli/quinapoli.pdf

There are many dozens of posts on these boards with detailed, step-by-step directions on doing Pompeii, Sorrento, Capri, or Naples on your own. Search works well. :cool: Just pick a few and start reading.

The only time you'd really "need" to do a private tour in Naples is to do the Amalfi Coast drive and see Ravello, Positano, and Amalfi. Too difficult to do any other way on the limited amount of time in a cruise stop.

Naples is a great city to DYI. A great way to see a lot is to take the fast ferry to Sorrento. Spend the morning in Sorrento exploring the city and have lunch then take the train to Pompii. The train stops across the street from Pompii. After Pompii take the train back to Naples and if you have enough time get off at the main station and walk back towords the ship down the Spacconapoli. Here is a link to a really good map. When you get off the ship look for the guard shack in the middle of the parking lot and see if they have a copy of the map on this link.

http://www.unicocampania.it/index.php?lang=en&center=inside&colonna=turisti&action=mappe

Well we certainly would not want to disagree with somebody who has done a lot of reading about Naples and the region. However, (a small however) we have not read about the region as much as we have actually traveled there (quite extensively) on both port days and also extended driving vacations. Tbat being said, Naples is a city we normally bypass when driving in the area and a place we usually use as a base to get out or town when there on a cruise day. You are talking about a region that includes Pompeii, Herulanium, the Amalfi Coast (with Poistano and Ravello) and Capri. If this is not enough there are places like Ischia and Procida...all of which would be on our agenda ahead of Naples. Notice we did not put Sorrento on our list although some do like that city. Sorrento does have its charms but it would not be a high priority for us. When we stay on the Amalfi Coast we might stop in Naples to do a little shopping (most shops are closed in the afternoon) or perhaps for an espresso, but that's about it. Just one person's humble opinion (ok,,,, perhaps not that humble). :)

Hank

Hank, my husband and I are going to Europe for the first time and was thinking of doing 3 ports on our own, two with tour and two with the ship. Naples being one of the ship excursions. Do you think we can do Naples on our own? My must see in Naples is Pompeii. Would love your opinion. I have found that cruise critics are the best source of information.

Thank You

Naples and Pompeii are very easy to do on your own. You can either take a train or the bus to Pompeii. Once there you have the option of joining a group with a guide (the guides just round up 10 or so people that are interested) or you can use a Rick Steve's audio guide or equivalent. Both the train station and bus stop are within easy walking distance from the cruise port.

As to Naples itself, the museum is an obvious choice but I would highly recommend a stop at Cappella Sansevero, a small church south of the museum. It has the Veiled Christ, an unbelievable sculpture. The distance to the museum from the ship is around 1 mile. We walked right through the heart of Naples on our way to the museum and ate the most wonderful pizza we have ever had at Di Matteo.

As Cruisemom42 says, there are many threads that drill way down in the weeds on this topic.

Kirk

I've posted these step-by-step directions several times before for taking the train to Pompeii from Naples, but just for you, I'll post them again ;):

Getting to Pompeii on Your Own:

Pompeii opens at 8:30 am. Try to get the “express” train that departs Napoli station(s) just after 8am. It’s important to beat the heat and the crowds, especially during the summer season.

The name of the port where ships dock in Naples is Mollo Beverello. Get off the ship as early as possible and walk to the Tabachi shop across street from the port entrance. Here you should be able to purchase your Circumvesuviana day-pass train ticket here (3.60 euro when I last checked); it will also entitle you to ride the #1 tram (or #152 bus) to the train station. To catch the tram, cross to the middle of the busy street and wait for the tram where you see poles and people on the cement island on the side closer to Molo Beverello (traffic going right with the ocean at your back). When the #1 trolley or #152 bus arrives, stamp your ticket and stay on it until it makes a wide right turn (around 5-7 minutes after you board). You'll need to get off as soon as you see a large concrete modern-looking roof which is the Napoli Porta Nolana Circumvesuviana Station (ask anyone onboard and they'll tell you).

Get off and you might need to stamp your ticket again at the turnstile and then head to the platform for the Sorrento-bound trains. Be sure to keep your ticket as you will need it for your return.

Trains are older, no A/C, beware of pickpockets.

Morning train times from Centrale station are: 8:13; 8:24; 8:41; 9:11. The train takes about 30 minutes.

The stop for Pompeii is Pompeii Scavi – Villa dei Misteri. After exiting station, turn right and walk about 100 yards to Pompeii entrance. Entrance fee is 13 euro. Private guides are available (try to get a group tour in English); OR ask for the detailed Pompeii guide and map that is FREE and available at ticket counter. Take along this Rick Steves guided walk just in case they are out of guidebooks (it happens):

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/destinations/italy/pompeiiwalk.htm

Return times from Pompeii: 12:37; 13:07; 13:37, etc. (Trains leave about every half hour)

For the ride back from the Pompei Scavi Circumvesuviana Train Station, take the train to the end of the line to Napoli Porta Nolana. Then exit the station and catch a #1 trolley or #152 bus outside the station (traffic going left with Porta Nolana Circumvesuviana Train Station at your back). You won't need to stamp your ticket again. Stay on the tram until you reach Piazza Municipio where the huge cruise ships/Molo Beverello is on the left and the castle on the right.

Here is a link for getting the current train schedule (in Italian only but very useful:

http://servizi.vesuviana.it/orari/orarinew2/modulow3c.htm

And here is a link for a list of all the stops between Napoli and Sorrento:

http://www.vesuviana.it/web/en/infostazione

Hank, my husband and I are going to Europe for the first time and was thinking of doing 3 ports on our own, two with tour and two with the ship. Naples being one of the ship excursions. Do you think we can do Naples on our own? My must see in Naples is Pompeii. Would love your opinion. I have found that cruise critics are the best source of information.

Thank You

Going to Pompeii on your own is relatively easy and you might want to compare the cost/benefit. From Naples you can walk (or take the local bus or taxi) to the train station (about a 1 mile walk) where the Circumvesuviania Line has trains to Sorrento every 30 min. You want to take the Sorrento train and get off at the stop called "Pompeii Scavi" which is right across the street from the ruins. That train only costs a few Euros and it takes less then 30 min to Pompeii. You can also get to Pompeii by using a regional bus from Naples...but we have never tried this ourselves so you would want to get info from somebody else here on CC. Once you are at Pompeii the admission fee is about 11 Euros (unless there has been an increase). For a first visit you would want to either get on a tour or buy the self audio tour program. They organize English speaking tours right outside the entrance and the normal cost used to be 10 Euros per person (just ask at the entrance and they will point you to a guide organizing a tour). So, the cost per person for round trip train plus entrance plus guide is approximately 26 - 30 Euros. You can compare this cost to the cruise ship tour which usually adds a visit to some kind of Cameo factory (we hate this stuff).

We cannot resist adding an editorial comment about Pompeii. The Italian government should be ashamed of themselves for the way they have maintained this site. In a word, the condition of the place is "awful." It is amazing that they have let Pompeii fall apart while they seem to do an excellent job with the nearby ruins at Herculanium and the amazing (but less known) ruins at Ostia Antica (located near the FCO airport). On our last visit to Pompeii the site was overgrown with weeds, walk ways were in horrible shape, visitor facilities leaved much to be desired (they need additional rest room facilities scattered around the extensive grounds) and parts of the ruins were in bad condition. Recently there has been some publicity because a few walls collapsed from lack of care.

Hank

Much as we simply LOVE Italy, Naples, as a city, is not such a wonderful place.Because we had been before, in that we had been in the area and been to the lovely places, Capri, Sorrento, Pompei etc, we decided, as it was so close to the Port, just a quick walk..and explore the city...well, so much bustling traffic,and though there are pedestrian crossings, the motor bikes defy the lights, and try to cut you off, this is after you have negotiated the exit from the Port ,fraught with difficulty, the noise,hectic main streets ,sorry no pleasure there, never felt unsafe anywhere really, but Naples. I have no doubt there are lovely parts, but to find them on your own would be difficult.

Take the Ferry,early, well placed to the Cruise Terminal, and spend your time on Capri, go to Ana Capri, at the top of the hill,walk the tiny lanes,away from the crowds,see the Villa San Michele, it is breath takingly beautiful, never to be forgotten.

We did Pompeii on our own & had no problem. We loved it & really recommend seeing it. We were steps away from the port, I guess it depends on where your ship is, we were Royal Caribbean. The taxi stand was on the left by the road, it's not the greatest part of town for walking, so we took the taxi 10 mins for $10 euro to the train station & went right to Pompeii. This is the site we used, it has pictures so you know exactly where you are going: http://www.europeportreviews.com/Naples5.htm

• 1 month later...

Archived