Norwegian Dive Excursions, Chartered by???

MandaMJ

Does anyone know who NCL uses as their vendor for Scuba Diving in Belize, Roatan and Costa Maya? I called them and they say they don't have that information, that it is "proprietary" ... :cool: well if I have to put my well being and safety in someones hands and trust them I would like to know a little bit about them, do a little research before I go... so just checking for any info I can find. Is the gear rental very pricey?? :o

Does anyone know who NCL uses as their vendor for Scuba Diving in Belize, Roatan and Costa Maya? I called them and they say they don't have that information, that it is "proprietary" ... :cool: well if I have to put my well being and safety in someones hands and trust them I would like to know a little bit about them, do a little research before I go... so just checking for any info I can find. Is the gear rental very pricey?? :o

In 2005, I think they used Hugh Parkey in Belize. It's been a while. :p We always take our own gear so I don't know what the cost for rentals was. In Roatan they used Anthony's Key Resort. I have to say that diving in Roatan was our favorite. The dive masters at both locations were very good.

If you don't mind, would you post the operators when you get back from your cruise? We will be diving in Belize and Costa Maya on our cruise in December. Also, you might want to post this on the scuba board as well. Thanks for posting this! :)

If you don't mind, would you post the operators when you get back from your cruise? We will be diving in Belize and Costa Maya on our cruise in December. Also, you might want to post this on the scuba board as well. Thanks for posting this! :)

Yes I certainly will! I am hoping our cruise doesn't get cancelled because of Ida, so if it doesn't and I get to dive I will post for sure. :) Umm.. scuba board? Is it on Cruise Critic? I will have to search.. if it's another site will you please let me know..:confused: Thanks so much!

Yes I certainly will! I am hoping our cruise doesn't get cancelled because of Ida, so if it doesn't and I get to dive I will post for sure. :) Umm.. scuba board? Is it on Cruise Critic? I will have to search.. if it's another site will you please let me know..:confused: Thanks so much!

Scuba specific section of this board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40

Scubaboard also has a lot of info:

www.scubaboard.com

• 3 weeks later...

ok I am back and recovered.. lol, sometimes I think vacations are more work than real work! We dove in Roatan with Anthony's Key Resort, beware if you need equipment it is not included in the price of the excursion thru NCL, I am glad we brought cash with us. They charge 18% to use a CC at the resort gift shop and if we would have paid for rentals with CC. The water was really rough and it was a rainy and cloudy day so the colors were not that great. ..... and I felt like we were rushed, don't get me wrong they were really nice, helpful and made sure to point out marine life (eel, lion fish, turtle, small colorful fish, reef was not in great shape at all but some pics came out okay) but it was very rushed! You dive twice and the boat docks during dives are you have time to visit the gift shop and use the restroom, they gave us an apple and a small gift sack with a dvd, pen and some information about the resort. They stamp your dive book but no info otherwise filled out. http://www.anthonyskey.com/en/index.html

We didn't dive Belize because my fiance didnt feel up to it after the day we had in Roatan, the swells were over 9 feet.. so no info about Belize other than yes it is Hugh Parkey and they have a brochure near the excursion desk. Another beware, if you are not 100% sure you want to dive at a particular port make sure to cancel 5 days before you step foot on the boat. Otherwise you will be responsible for the excursion cost. I was informed that the excursions close at that time and are not reopened for booking until the start day of the cruise so I cancelled all of ours and went to book during embarkation. Some of the excursion desk employees had a little info but none had dove in any of the places, so not much help there. The last dive was in Costa Maya and it was beautiful outside, sunny on the first dive. They use Dream Time Diving. http://www.dreamtimediving.com/Welcome.html They were very nice and I did not feel as rushed as Roatan but still rushed, the reef was nice, lion fish, colorful small fish, large lobster, but the reef was still not as colorful as I would have liked. Rentals were included in the price of excursion, choose either with gear or not, they are different prices. We stayed on the boat during the surface interval but it did come to the dock. I heard two different stories about Belize, but good things mostly. Hope this helps. :)

Just got back. In Roatan they are still using Anthonys. If you want to use Anthony's you have to book directly with NCL as Anthony's will not take an internet reservation if they have a hint of you coming in on a ship. (They have a deal they will not break with NCL). I had a recommendation for anthonys, as well as Tyll's Dive. Price factored in. Tylls with Transprotation and all equipment was $95/pp.(2 tank dive). The NCL price with all adnl equip (BC, Suit, Reg etc ) would have been about $60 more!! I certainly recommend Tyll's. they were great!!! I even rated them on Trip advisor.

Archived