Dim Sum in San Francisco

Can anyone reccommend a good place to get Dim Sum? Have done a little research and came up with "Good Mong Kok Bakery", this is a take-out, we're looking for a restaurant for brunch before a 1 pm Alcatraz tour. Thanks....

Look at Shanghai Dumpling King (Outer Richmond) (with carts), Ton Kiang (Outer Richmond) (with carts), Yank Sing (Market St) (with carts), Hong Kong Lounge (Outer Richmond) (with carts) or Good Luck (Inner Richmond) (no carts).

Good Mong Kok is take out only.

Hong Kong Lounge opens at 10:30AM M-F, 9:30 on weekends, Ton Kiang at 10AM M-F, earlier on the weekends.

I would 2nd the nomination for Yack Sing... http://www.yanksing.com/home.php It is very good, but also very accessible...

Some Dim Som places are a bit difficult to navigate for non Chinese. There are other places, but you might find you are the only occidental in the joint... but most if not all SF Chinese places are friendly if you blunder in...

It is a bit south of Market Street, a block in from Embarkadero (the water front). It would be a long walk from the ship, but not unreasonable... or an easy street car ride on the F line. Maybe take the street car to Market and Embarkadero, then after lunch walk back along the waterfront.

Randy Hees

I agree with the others, Yack Sing is very good and not too far away.....but..

If you ever come back to SFO and spend a week, the best Dim Sum in the whole bay area is at Koi Palace (Daly City, just south of SF proper).

I've had cantonese food all over the world and I've spent many years in SFO and this is simply the best anywhere (IMHO).

Enjoy your visit! :)

Yank Sing is "ok", its best attribute is that it is close to the financial district and its worst attribute is that it is close to the financial district. What that means is, it does a great business because it is easy to get to for a lot of business people who like dim sum, but being in a high rent area it is about 40-50% more than the other dim sum places and that can add up quickly.

• 1 month later...

Yank Sing is pretty much accepted as the top-rated place...very nice and upscale...and very expensive...

This past Saturday, we did a little "exploring" and found an incredible Dim Sum choice in the Upper Richmond District--"Good Luck Dim Sum"...

http://goodluckdimsum.com/

An absolute "hole in the wall"...If I hadn't had some recommendations, I never would have wandered in there myself...

You've got to stand in line and order at the counter...Then hope to get one of the 6-8 small tables in the back...

The Dim Sum was absolutely top quality and excellent size...and, incredibly enough, three of us gorged ourselves for $16.65!!!...and had a large box of assorted pieces--enough for another small meal for two left over!

Okay, if you want an elegant dining experience near the pier, this is not your place...

But, if you live in San Francisco or are just there with some days to relax and enjoy, this place is well worth the visit...

Most of the menu was Three pieces for $1.60...3 Very large Char Shu Bao, 3 Egg Rolls, 3 Shrimp Dumplings, etc.

No question I am going back!

Archived