Posted February 8th, 2012, 02:06 PM
We will be in Newport from 11am-11pm with the Maasdam May 1. We have our day planned, a 90-minute tour of the city, and then public transportation to see the Breakers, Marble House and the Cliff Walk. I'm sure we can find other things to do if there's more time during the day.
I'm looking for safe and interesting things to do that evening -- would hate to just go back to the ship and waste port time. It will be our first time in Newport.
Thanks for any ideas and help anyone can give!
Newport at night is wonderful, here are some options as I am not sure exactly what you are looking to do.
1. If available, go to Providence and see Waterfire. Recently voted one of the top 10 events by night in the world, this event is a must do if in RI when available. http://www.waterfire.org/season-sche...rfire-schedule
yes, you would have to arrange transportation north to the city (40 minute ride to the city) but it starts at sunset so you could be in the city for dinner, watch the lightnings, and be back on 95S by 830PM, in Newport for 915PM without issue. There was a water taxi, not sure if it is still running. Check out the Waterfire page for schedule.
2. Ghost Tours! http://www.ghostsofnewport.com/guided-tours
or the Belcourt Castle Haunted tour by the mansions owner! http://www.belcourtcastle.com/
3. Polo! http://www.nptpolo.com/
2012 schedule not yet posted
4. Newport Grand (slot machines) http://www.newportgrand.com/entertainment_calendar.html
5. Down the street in Bristol, RI http://www.gonewport.com/events-cale...-at-blithewold
6. Sunset sail aboard an Americas Cup sailboat - many companies, here are some ideas http://www.sail-newport.com/
7. The brewery! http://newportstorm.com/
8. Bars! Thames Street is loaded with them.. http://www.destinationnewport.com/night.asp
9. Art Gallery Browsing by night http://www.newportgalleries.org/brochure.html
10. Charter a scuba dive trip with http://www.newportdivingcenter.com/
11. Military or verteran? http://www.cnic.navy.mil/Newport/
the Naval War College, Officers Club, MWR, etc. offers many events right on the base, especially at night. The dining is great!
12. Tennis fan? http://www.tennisfame.com/
they have concerts here on nights too, keep eyes appealed.
13. Eat! http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...de_Island.html
15. and a must do for any non-RI person, eat like a local! http://www.quahog.org/cuisine/
have an eclipse coffee milk (buy some to take home!), a Dels lemonde, and you have to find a New York System / Hot Weiner restaurant in Newport and order "3 all the way!" You have been warned! (gaggas, hot weiner, etc.) Wash it all down with a Newport Creamery Awful Awful, some chowda and clam cakes!
Hope this gives you some insight, let me know if you have any other questions.