Have you/ are you going to cancel your NCL bookings

MrJoeBlack

First off, LOL at the original question. Of course not. Prices increase all of the time, all around us. In the aggregate it's known as "inflation". Why does it happen? Because employees like to see their salaries go up, interest rates are about to rise making borrowing more expensive, the Cost of Living rises continually. So of course adjustments have to be made in the costs of goods & services.

NCL have a product I quite like. Unless there's a dramatic change in that, or the service - which I notice firsthand, then I'm staying where I am.

Do it. At this point you're so peeved at NCL, there's no way you would have a good time. We sailed several times with CELEBRITY, but after our cruise on the Solstice, we left. Same with HAL. But we did so quietly and deliberately. No "goodbye cruel world" posts for us. No "I'm gonna do it...I swear I'm gonna do it..really...I'm gonna do it" There are several cruise lines you can run to. sometimes a change of scenery is needed.

But if you're so firm in your convictions, why tell us? You don't need our permission. If you're unhappy with a restaurant at home, do you walk up to other tables and ask "are you happy here" do you stand outside and tell other customers "I'm never coming in here again". JUST GO ALREADY.

^^^^ This....should be a forum Sticky! Well said.

Stephen

In light of the overwhelming changes in such a short span is it enough to get you to cancel your current bookings?

Personally for my family and I the answer is YES, 2 Suites Cancelled and I'm not looking back at this train wreck until they realize constantly changing the product makes people feel uneasy and abused.

Don't have anything booked right now, but nothing that has been modified would prevent me from booking NCL again.

(quoting from above poster)

"But if you're so firm in your convictions, why tell us? You don't need our permission. If you're unhappy with a restaurant at home, do you walk up to other tables and ask "are you happy here" do you stand outside and tell other customers "I'm never coming in here again". JUST GO ALREADY."

My reply to poster:

Because this is Cruise critic. He is doing exactly as he should...comment on cruise topics. Why don't you stop being so snarky, you are the absolute reason why these boards get so mean and why people, especially new to the site, get totally turned off by these boards. Really, "Just go already" how totally rude.

There wasn't the slightest thing snarky, mean, or rude in that post you quoted. It was very well written, giving good examples to make a counter point. And THAT is why cruise critic is cruise critic.

Edited by LrgPizza

I have an Alaskan cruise booked for next summer, and if I do cancel it, it will be because I've decided to do something else, not because of any changes by NCL.

(we've done an Alaskan cruise before and I just needed to use a FCC, so booked what most appealed to me at the time)

I'll admit to having had a somewhat knee-jerk reaction when they started with the no-take-out thing, but I figured that wouldn't fly, so I hung in there. (I was right)

Raising the gratuities isn't a big deal.

Edited by srlafleur

In light of the overwhelming changes in such a short span is it enough to get you to cancel your current bookings?

Personally for my family and I the answer is YES, 2 Suites Cancelled and I'm not looking back at this train wreck until they realize constantly changing the product makes people feel uneasy and abused.

What do you do when the price of gas at the pumps jumps 25¢ a gallon in a week?

Edited by Laszlo

This is simply a poll it, I am not looking for Validation from you fine folks, was seeing how many would and how many wouldn't, as we are all different, with different principles this is a personal choice. Those who would seek to force a tomato on someone calling it an Apple should simply step back and respect others choices and their freedom to make that choice

Edited by MrJoeBlack

Yes, I did cancel a 20 day Panama Canal reposition cruise. The cruise is nearly totally booked so not a problem for NCL. I wasn't trying to send a message. I can anticipate that any situation may have unexpected changes--and I can deal with that. But there are too many changes right now so that the conditions under which we booked may be changed. Maybe it's always been that way. I don't know if things will ever settle down, but as I told my PCC, when they do, I'll probably look into it. I have two cruise rewards. Yes, a very personal choice for each of us.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

We aren't going to cancel. We always look to see where we want to go and then if Norwegian goes there, it's our first choice. We look at the vacation costs as a whole. Some think NCL is nickel and diming, but for us, it's what all of the nickel and dimes add up to at the end that determine if we think the overall total is worth it vs. the vacation we get.

And yes, they do seem to be making some on-the-fly changes, but they have a new CEO trying to feel is way around. It'll level out soon. Again, as long as the vacation experience is worth the bottom line total, we're in.

But people have to do what they have to do. Everyone needs to find a line that works best with them. So good luck, OP.

No but I won't book another one until I see how it all pans out. I am in Haven on Escape and it does not effect my booking much at all just a small gratuities increase.....so far, lets see what the next few months bring. I agree it has been a lot of extras as of late. DH wanted to cancel but I told him to wait it out and see we still have lots of time.

It does make me stop recommending NCL to my friends.

Would not cancel - not even close. We're just as excited now as we were when we booked, if not more so.

Of all the changes that have occurred, the only one that has the potential to have me thinking differently about NCL in the future is the introduction of a-la-carte dining at specialty restaurants. For me, part of the allure of cruising is the "suspension of reality". It's such a departure from my daily grind that it really allows me to decompress and forget about the "real world" for awhile.

For some reason, sitting down at a restaurant with prices for each item staring back at me is a little too "real world" for me to be thrilled about the change. Having said that, I'll likely explore the UDP as a way to maintain my preference for the old way. If that proves to preserve the style of cruising I prefer, then no big deal.

No way. I've learned not to sweat the small stuff, and so far, the overall impact on my wallet is still very minimal. I have no anger towards NCL, even though I might shake my head at certain things. I'm going to roll with it and have a blast.

This.

Well no I won't be canceling I'm dying for a vacation. On the other hand I'm completely pissed off with all the changes. With all the price increases cruising is starting to be less affordable for me.. I'm sure other cruise lines will start raising prices also.. Will just have to wait and see what happens by next year for me.

No.

Well, I didn't cancel mainly because I have other family members going on the cruise. I did, however, change my cabin from an aft balcony to an inside cabin. Not a big hardship for us as we like inside cabins, but had booked an aft balcony before we knew family was going on the cruise (figured if it was just the two of us we would spend a lot of time out on the balcony). Anyway, when I got the email about the service charge increase I decided to keep some of my money and give less to NCL. Now, it doesn't really do anything to NCL's bottom line as they will definitely fill that aft balcony, but it does make me feel a little better about my own response to NCL constant nickel and diming especially after a booking. I have gone on about 20 cruises and have always loved them, but I really wish they would just increase the cost of the cruise price and stop trying to find ways to squeeze a little more out of you, it is just a bad way to do business. We used to sail with Princess but since auto gratuity came to be ,well, quite honestly, the service just went to crap. NCL is still maintaining good service, so I will still stay with them, but honestly we cruise a lot less now...just get tired of the nickel/dime stuff plus the food isn't as good as it used to be. My biggest complaint about this increase is that it just makes people angry about the auto-gratuity. I'm sure there will be a lot of people who just get frustrated and not tip at all. Again, there is no easy solution other then to raise cruise prices and pay employees a decent salary. That will probably never happen. Or, raise cruise prices, pay a decent salary, remove auto-tip and go back to people paying for great service (I know I miss those days). I really used to enjoy giving them their little white envelopes...I do think service was better back then. Anyway, just my opinion, I'm sure someone will have a snarky response (one of the reasons I cut back on here, as well). I do agree with the other poster...cruising is still a very economical way of traveling and absolutely nothing beats going to bed while being rocked by the ocean.

http://www.silversea.com/ drinks, gratuities and service all included. You pay your money, you take your choice!

I am finding this all a bit surreal. It is several years since we cruised with NCL but decided to go back for a change of scene. It seems that many, many people are unhappy now with NCL. Perhaps I have made a mistake and should not have booked this cruise. Big disappointment. For me the anticipation of the cruise is a big part of the whole experience. I am feeling completely turned off the whole idea now. Surely it can't be that bad??

I am finding this all a bit surreal. It is several years since we cruised with NCL but decided to go back for a change of scene. It seems that many, many people are unhappy now with NCL. Perhaps I have made a mistake and should not have booked this cruise. Big disappointment. For me the anticipation of the cruise is a big part of the whole experience. I am feeling completely turned off the whole idea now. Surely it can't be that bad??

I wouldn't say that many people are unhappy, tens of thousands of people enjoy NCL each week. CC forum isn't a gauge to view the whole market, but a subsection of mostly regular and clued up cruisers who have expectations. People with expectations are the worst people to inflict change on!

I wouldn't cancel over an extra $1.50 per day per person. That's a rounding error on the cost of our vacations when you figure in airfare, hotel and cruise cost. It's $21 extra over the old charge of $12 pp/pd for the both of us for a 7 day cruise.

I try not to let emotion override what is really a basic financial decision. I'm not going to stand on principle and cancel because the rate of change that I don't like because it is too rapid. It's not like NCL is advocating a return to racial slavery, clubbing baby seals on the pool deck or serving Soylent Green. They are raising prices. I think they are stupid doing it the way they are doing it ... they should have jumped to $13.50 in the beginning ... but I suspect they tested the waters with the first stage and found that people didn't care (except here).

When comparing future cruises I will consider the higher cost of the DSC in the equation, just as I do now. Will the Disney cruise, with their $12 a day charge, be less overall than the NCL cruise with the $13.50 a day charge? Will RCCI be less expensive or provide more value next time? We have choices.

Edited by fshagan

If you read this thread, the vast majority of people don't appear unhappy. The past several months there have been numerous changes that have caused some to become irate. Yet the reviews posted here after people return from their cruises are still overwhelmingly positive. For some, this is the worst devastation of their lives. For others, they might just say "darn" and go on to have a great cruise. We are all different, and we all choose how to react to situations. So choose your own reaction to your cruise experience, and report back.

http://www.silversea.com/ drinks, gratuities and service all included. You pay your money, you take your choice!

Having been on Silversea, and sitting with a $3500 voucher, you will not get me ever on one of their overpriced cruises.

At this point I am not cancelling. Our Breakaway cruise I have made final payment. Our South America cruise we already have our airfare. However the Norway Iceland cruise in 2016 in an owners suite..we will see, as I have lots of time before final payment. So if I see them jerking people around with these rediculious changes, that one might be cancelled.

Not unhappy with NCL, more tired of so many changes, but I might cancel since so many changes have occurred since I booked. So how many more will happen.

If I were past payment or in the Haven, we probably wouldn't cancel but were not.