Inspiration: Massive horde of teenagers

shredie

I am recently off the Inspiration from a four-day to Catalina and Ensenada out of Long Beach. There was a huge group of teens on the ship, obviously an organized group of some kind, but I don't know what group. They were everywhere on the ship, crowding public areas and making noise. I never--not once--saw any adult supervision of these children. They walked four or five abreast through the public passageways, forcing other people to move out of their way. Once, some of them nearly toppled an elderly person with a cane, and no gave no apology, but just laughed at the kid whose fault it was. They cut in lines in the buffet. Some of them talked back and argued with ship staff, especially at disembarkation, where they blocked the gangway. They took over seating areas on the ship, making so much noise, it would be impossible for anyone else to sit there. They ran up and down the halls of the cabins, shouting and laughing, at all hours. Our cabin was between two of theirs, and I heard boys in the girls' cabins and vice versa. There were dozens of them in smaller, roving bands of ten or fifteen, all over the ship. Now, I did encounter one or two polite ones on the elevator, and if anyone else on the ship found some polite ones, I'm happy to hear it.

I wonder what the parents of these children thought was going to happen on that ship. I imagine they were told there would be adult supervision, but if there was, I never saw it. If I were a parent of one of them, I would want some answers.

Edited by shredie

I am recently off the Inspiration from a four-day to Catalina and Ensenada out of Long Beach. There was a huge group of teens on the ship, obviously an organized group of some kind, but I don't know what group. They were everywhere on the ship, crowding public areas and making noise. I never--not once--saw any adult supervision of these children. They walked four or five abreast through the public passageways, forcing other people to move out of their way. Once, some of them nearly toppled an elderly person with a cane, and no gave no apology, but just laughed at the kid whose fault it was. They cut in lines in the buffet. Some of them talked back and argued with ship staff, especially at disembarkation, where they blocked the gangway. They took over seating areas on the ship, making so much noise, it would be impossible for anyone else to sit there. They ran up and down the halls of the cabins, shouting and laughing, at all hours. Our cabin was between two of theirs, and I heard boys in the girls' cabins and vice versa. There were dozens of them in smaller, roving bands of ten or fifteen, all over the ship. Now, I did encounter one or two polite ones on the elevator, and if anyone else on the ship found some polite ones, I'm happy to hear it.

I wonder what the parents of these children thought was going to happen on that ship. I imagine they were told there would be adult supervision, but if there was, I never saw it. If I were a parent of one of them, I would want some answers.

Sounds like the cruise from heck. Those kinds of things are why I avoid the cheaper 3 and 4 night cruises. Those tend to attract a different clientele. That's a shame too because it affects those who like to do quick getaways for a break.

I wonder how they got around Carnival's minor guest policy.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2544/~/minor-guest-policy

Hope you managed to have fun anyway.

If it were that bad, why no complaints.

I don't know if anyone complained or not since the ship management did not take me into its confidence. I could see the staff dealing with them were exasperated. It wasn't my first choice to go on this particular cruise, but it was all that was available at the time the rest of my travelling party wanted to go. We did have a bit of luck in that our dining time was not the same as the kids' or in the same dining room, apparently, so we did get to enjoy the food at dinner.

That's unfortunate! We actually had a large group of teens on our ship as well (July 12th Legend), but they were pretty well behaved. They were goofy, yes, but so is my kid by himself! LOL! My husband actually talked to a couple of them one night. This large group, like 50-60 teens, had spent time in Washington state, Canada, then the Alaska cruise, and then heading to Hawaii after that! It was a month-long Pacific coast trip!! My husband did mention to the kids that they were lucky and their parents must really love them, to which the kids responded they realized that for sure! LOL! I will say I was nervous when I first saw them on the ship, they were all on the Lido deck, but it wasn't a problem at all. I'm sure it's in the type of adult chaperones that are with them and of course, the kids.

It's also last fling for summer for many of our school districts. Some are year round, others start as early as August 6.

When we sail the low season cruises there are less kid hordes and more bachelorette hordes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Did you ask them who the adult was they were with and talk to that adult about their behavior. I would have. I would have "parented" them in the halls too and called security.

I was on Inspiration and a group of 6 little kids kept running around the halls making a lot of noise. I was in a 1A and they have their own hallway then there is the port and starboard halls. They ran round and round. I stepped out and told them to stop coming down this hall or I'd report them, halls are not for running. They apologized and stopped.

It's also last fling for summer for many of our school districts. [/QUOTe]

This wasn't just a bunch of unrelated kids on summer break. It was some sort of organized activity, like band camp or something similar.

Did you ask them who the adult was they were with and talk to that adult about their behavior.

One night, a man came out into the hall and told them (some boys) they would stop running and shouting. He was just another passenger unfortunate enough to be on the same deck as the kids. He wasn't their chaperone. As I said, I never, ever, saw any of them with what might be an adult chaperone. After the man talked to them, that particular bunch took the party into one of the girls' rooms. With all that unsupervised activity going on, I wondered how many "buns in the oven" would be going home with them. As I've also said, if I were the parent of one of these kids, I would not be happy to know how little supervision there was.

Edited by shredie