hotel/subway

love2travel41

Hi,

We are thinking of booking the La Quinta Inn and Suites at 437 Union Avenue, Brooklyn, New York. (It is opening in May.) We will most likely fly into Laguardia and it looks like arranging transportation from the airport to the hotel will not be a problem.

My question is this: Does anyone know if there are subway and/or bus stations within easy walking distance the hotel? (We will want to do some in Manhattan and perhaps other areas.)

Also, how far is this hotel from the cruise terminal that Carnival uses?

Thank you for any help you can give me,

If your cruise leaves from Manhattan and you want to sightseeing in Manhattan, I'd recommend staying in Manhattan.

If you put your hotel location into Google maps, subway stations are marked with little blue Ms.

While there are two subway stations not far away, those subway lines are not convenient for getting where you're most likely to want to go in Manhattan.

The G doesn't serve Manhattan at all, it just runs in Brooklyn and Queens. The L just provides local service to 14th St in Manhattan, requiring a change of trains to get to anywhere you're likely to want to see.

So, just having subway stations nearby doesn't mean those subway routes are of much use to you.

As another poster said, if you want to see Manhattan, it's best to stay in Manhattan...and it also makes sense because your cruise leaves from Manhattan.

I agree with the advice to stay in Manhattan. There just isn't a good reason to stay in a hotel in Brooklyn (especially one that is only near those inconvenient subway lines) if you want to do some touring in Manhattan and your ship is leaving from Manhattan.

Thanks to all of you for your answers. I will continue to look for a hotel in Manhattan I am willing to pay for. WE will be in in September, and it looks like that is prime time. What seemed expensive to me when I first started looking no longer seems so much!

Thanks again,

Thanks to all of you for your answers. I will continue to look for a hotel in Manhattan I am willing to pay for. WE will be in in September, and it looks like that is prime time. What seemed expensive to me when I first started looking no longer seems so much!

Thanks again,

Please post your exact dates and target budget so that folks can offer more precise advice.

This new La Quinta was once a Getty gasoline station & if memory served me, next to a former neighborhood 24/7 dinner - 15 to 20 years ago during our daily commute into Manhattan, we drive by Union Street whenever I-278 (elevated highway nearby) is backed up with commuter traffic - real estate developers discovered it & now, "affordable" condos & hotels in a gentrified, yuppieland known to us as Williamsburg in Brooklyn, near the Queens border - still primary a working class neighborhood of mosaic makeup, nothing to see or do during the day, let alone at night in this mostly residential area - tons of commercial/trunk traffic & drivers aiming for the WB bridge.

If the price is good & nice, nothing wrong with staying there for 1 night pre-cruise on a flight - Latino & Chinese takeouts are plentiful and surely they will do deliveries. L & G subway train services on weekend are often suspended and/or substituted by shuttle buses due to the need for ongoing maintenance post-Sandy storm damage repairs ... if I am not mistaken, something about being shut down soon on weekends for at least a year to speed up the recovery efforts.

If OP can't find anything acceptable & reasonable in their price range for September, which is high season for bookings - take a look at Long Island City area to see if they can score a better deal - the N,R & Q subway train services are somewhat better - I would choose that over the L & G subways to travel into/out of Manhattan to sightsee.

Don't forget to checkout Hotwire & even Priceline if it's just 2 of you cruising and you are fine with 1 bed. Comparing with the La Quinta on Queens Blvd. in Queens, their rates are lower by $30 nightly for this September, over this new one (soon to open) & that's 2 blocks walk to the #7 subway train station on a busy commercial corridor, with tons of dining choices & local shops - far more lively & an easier "commute" into Manhattan.

We leave on a Carnival cruise on September 24th and hope to spend two or 3 nights in New York before the cruise. One hotel we are considering is The La Quinta on 32nd Street. A room for two people is $229.49 plus tax, so two nights would be $533.68 and three nights would be $800.52.

I think we re going to book that one (with good cancellation policy) and then continue to look. (We will be traveling with two other couples.

Thanks so much for all the input. Anything else you can tell me would be very welcome. We are thinking of taking the Super shuttle from LGA to our hotel. Does that Super Shuttle go to the Manhattan Cruise Port? I know one thing we will do is take one of the on--off buses.

Thanks again.

We leave on a Carnival cruise on September 24th and hope to spend two or 3 nights in New York before the cruise. One hotel we are considering is The La Quinta on 32nd Street. A room for two people is $229.49 plus tax, so two nights would be $533.68 and three nights would be $800.52.

I think we re going to book that one (with good cancellation policy) and then continue to look. (We will be traveling with two other couples.

Thanks so much for all the input. Anything else you can tell me would be very welcome. We are thinking of taking the Super shuttle from LGA to our hotel. Does that Super Shuttle go to the Manhattan Cruise Port? I know one thing we will do is take one of the on--off buses.

Thanks again.

Stay away from SuperShuttle in NY. The quality of their service is horrible. It's very easy to take a taxi from LGA to your hotel, or book a car service such as Dial 7 or Carmel Limo.

To get to the port the morning of your cruise just take a taxi. SuperShuttle doesn't have service from Manhattan hotels to the cruise terminal anyway.

Just some other subway notes, the G is worthless unless you transfer to another line. The crosstown line, G, the town is Brooklyn not Manhattan ;)

A block away for the L is fine. The L transfers to most of the subway lines running north/south in Manhattan BUT the L has frequent weekend service shutdown between Manhattan and Brooklyn due to on going repairs to the under river tunnel (tube in subway speak). I too agree to look for another hotel.