Riedel's Wine Glass Comparative Workshop

Gibbs1984

My husband and I will be traveling on the Celebrity Millenium on June 24th on the Southbound Alaska Cruise.

I was wondering if anyone has participated in the Riedel's Wine Glass Comparative Workshop before and thinks its worth the $89 dollars?

I would most likely be doing this workshop alone due to my husband being more of a beer man, however that does not bother me.

Also I have read reviews in the past that before they would seve you wine in the appopriate glass if you participated in the workshop...do any of you know if this is still in practice?

Thanks!

Hi,

We did this on our Dec 09 Mercury sailing and it was quite enjoyable. You get one each of four different Riedel Vinum goblets, which typically sell in the $30/each range. You get the option to either take the set home or they give you a coupon to order the set online and pay the shipping costs (~$15).

At the workshop (ours was in the MDR), they put out one of each glass, plus a normal goblet. They then pour various wines into the glasses, have you taste and then change to a different glass. There is a difference in the flavor of the wines, not only between the normal glass and the Riedel, but among the different Riedel glasses as well. Quite an impressive workshop - so much that I ordered a pair of Riedel port glasses when I got home and they really make a difference. If you register on board through your sommelier, you'll also get Riedel glasses for your dinner wines as well.

I recommend not only this workshop, but the one on food pairing - at which they serve different wines with different kinds of food and have you taste the synergistic effect of the food/wine pairing. Another treat is the wine dinner (talk to your sommelier or the cellar master), which consists of a special menu with each course paired with a wine. A fantastic experience!

j

I enjoyed it on Celebrity Century last year. It was not available on our 3 night Eclipse cruise. The good part about the class is that you than can drink your wine at dinner out of Reidel glasses for the rest of the cruise. Be sure to purchase from your wine steward so he gets the credit/tip.

J covered the essentials of the workshop fairly well. The wines they serve are in the $40 to $100 a bottle range. I would rate the glasses you receive as a $60 to $70 value if you find the right discount. So for $20 0r $30 you get a lot of information and some nice wines. If you do not currently have Reidel or similar gallsses at home be prepared to chuck the old ones and replace them after the seminar. The glasses truly make that much of a difference.

It is relatively easy to find the basic red and white glasses at shops at home including Costco, but the Pinot Noir and Chardonnay are a little harder to find. I used to avoid chardonnays, but with the right glass I find them very enjoyable now.

Take the class it is worth it.

Go to the Reidel website and check it out. There is a link for X wine seminar.

I have seen Reidel at Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, and Sonoma and Williams. Each of those places sell glasses that are made "especially" for them as stated on the box.

On the website you will notice that there are different grades and quality of glasses. Some are leaded crystal, some lead free, some hand blown and etc.

Are they a good deal on board? Don't know. You have to decide.

Since I am a 3 buck Chuck wine drinker any glass will do but am considering the next cruise as I have a coupon for 20% off for a wine seminar. Nice way to spend an afternoon and get some "free" glasses.

Go to the Reidel website and check it out. There is a link for X wine seminar.

I have seen Reidel at Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, and Sonoma and Williams. Each of those places sell glasses that are made "especially" for them as stated on the box.

On the website you will notice that there are different grades and quality of glasses. Some are leaded crystal, some lead free, some hand blown and etc.

Are they a good deal on board? Don't know. You have to decide.

Since I am a 3 buck Chuck wine drinker any glass will do but am considering the next cruise as I have a coupon for 20% off for a wine seminar. Nice way to spend an afternoon and get some "free" glasses.

These tasting glasses sell for about $115.00 at William Sonoma. How did you get a 20% off coupon. Are you sure it will apply to this seminar, which includes the glasses.

You will taste a HUGE differance.

These tasting glasses sell for about $115.00 at William Sonoma. How did you get a 20% off coupon. Are you sure it will apply to this seminar, which includes the glasses.

You will taste a HUGE differance.

If you look at the box for the glasses at William Sonoma it has written on it made for William and Sonoma. There are differences in the glasses. Look at the Reidel site.

I don't know if the coupon is good for the workshop. If not no biggy, it will make the decision easier not to attend.

We always stop at wineries when we see them. Always ask about glasses and etc. Get the same response. When at a wine judging they are judging the wine and not the glass. The wine does not change because of the glass but it may enhance the enjoyment as will any presentation.

I guess that is why a hot dog always tastes better at a ball game along with the beer in a plastic cup.

We did the Reidel workshop on our May 14th cruise aboard the Solstice. We found it really interesting. I was quite skeptical that a certain glass would make a difference, but found it to be true.

We purchased our workshop before our cruise and was not aware that they would serve you wine in the glasses during your cruise. One of the sommeliers that conducted the workshop made the comment that Celebrity does not serve wine in these glasses anywhere except in Murano because of the expense involved with breakage. They are very delicate glasses.

When comparing prices, be aware that Riedel makes several lines of glasses. The crucial aspect of the line (Vinum) used on =X= tastings is that they don't have a rolled lip - it's flat and the wine flows differently on to the tongue. The other aspect of Riedel is that the glasses are shaped to put the wine on the part of your tongue that does that particular taste - different parts of the tongue are more sensitive to sweet, sour, bitter, etc. The Vinum line is near the top of the Riedel glasses - the line that's higher priced is hand blown whereas the Vinum are machine blown.

j

The good part about the class is that you than can drink your wine at dinner out of Reidel glasses for the rest of the cruise. [/quote

Not sure that is always the case. On our recent Millie cruise, the workshop wasn't scheduled until 4pm on the last day. Perhaps, they know you have signed up and so the glasses are provided at dinner prior to the workshop?????

Gee. And I always thought the box the wine comes in had the greatest effect on taste :D

One of the wineries we visited said that many wineries are now packaging wine in a box because it keeps longer as no air gets in to contaminate it.

Miched you are paying TOO much for TWO BUCK CHUCK!

We moved up to the expensive stuff. :p

Trader Joe is the only place by us that sells it and they now charge $3. I guess it got too popular. You know how it is, that supply and demand problem.

If you purchase the glasses and take them with you - you can take them to dinner anytime you want. I don't think because you have taken the 'class' that you are entitled to the glasses - unless you buy expensive wine and ask for the appropriate glasses. Its been a few years since I took the class - but I did ask for the Reidel glasses at dinner and was told no.

My husband and I will be traveling on the Celebrity Millenium on June 24th on the Southbound Alaska Cruise.

I was wondering if anyone has participated in the Riedel's Wine Glass Comparative Workshop before and thinks its worth the $89 dollars?

I would most likely be doing this workshop alone due to my husband being more of a beer man, however that does not bother me.

Also I have read reviews in the past that before they would seve you wine in the appopriate glass if you participated in the workshop...do any of you know if this is still in practice?

Thanks!

I found the workshop worthwhile primarily for the glasses that are included with it. The workshop was interesting in tasting different wines in the variety of glasses they offer. I didn't have any luck in my MDR seatings offering the Riedel glasses to go with my wine selections, but I did enjoy the workshop and the fact that I got some nice Riedel glasses out of it. I'd recommend the workshop for any wine enthusiast that hasn't taken it before. But, if you've done it once, I don't see a big reason to do it again unless you're looking for the wine glasses that come out of it.

My dh and I participated in this workshop on our last cruise. I did it mainly for the glasses. (You can order extra sets at the price of the workshop too!)The price is a great deal. In Canada, this tasting set costs $146 plus taxes and shipping. It worked out to $170 all in per set. On the ship the workshop was approx $80 CAN. Shipping to Canada is NOT $15, BUT $30. Still worth it. I already own lots of Reidel, but of the Wine Series and not the Vinum series. Vinum is a MUCH better quality, but VERY expensive in stores.

My dh had a good time at the workshop. BYW: Each glass in Canada sells for approx $55! Good deal, and lots of fun.

To those who think it is waste, you may not be wine drinkers. The shape, size etc of the glass do make a difference. Could you get glasses of the right shape for less, sure, but they are not of the same quality.

Edited by Sabbycat

My dh and I participated in this workshop on our last cruise. I did it mainly for the glasses. (You can order extra sets at the price of the workshop too!)The price is a great deal. In Canada, this tasting set costs $146 plus taxes and shipping. It worked out to $170 all in per set. On the ship the workshop was approx $80 CAN. Shipping to Canada is NOT $15, BUT $30. Still worth it. I already own lots of Reidel, but of the Wine Series and not the Vitum series. Vitum is a MUCH better quality, but VERY expensive in stores.

My dh had a good time at the workshop. BYW: Each glass in Canada sells for approx $55! Good deal, and lots of fun.

To those who think it is waste, you may not be wine drinkers. The shape, size etc of the glass do make a difference. Could you get glasses of the right shape for less, sure, but they are not of the same quality.

Thanks for posting the info about Canadian shipping costs. I was curious about this too. Did you have them shipped, or carry them home with you? I would think shipping would be easier, and safer, even at the higher cost.

The good part about the class is that you than can drink your wine at dinner out of Reidel glasses for the rest of the cruise. [/quote

Not sure that is always the case. On our recent Millie cruise, the workshop wasn't scheduled until 4pm on the last day. Perhaps, they know you have signed up and so the glasses are provided at dinner prior to the workshop?????

Yes. Pay your wine steward when you board/first night. There will be a sticker placed on your key card. Unless there has been a change since last year, this was a major benefit.

We had them shipped. We disembarked in Rome and were spending a week there. Plus flying back. They take up too much room to pack.

When you go to the celebrity vineyards site to redeem the coupon you get for the glasses be aware, it is a seperate order for each set. (A little annoying.)

I will do this workshop again on future X cruises because $110 is much cheaper than $170!!!

To answer another couple of questions . .

1. no sticker is placed on your card. They have a list of whom has signed up for the workshop and check your name off when you arrive.

2. Your wine is not going to be served in Reidel glasses anywhere but in Marano.

3. While the glasses are delicate, they are dishwasher safe. I have had some for the last three years and none have broken on me. My dh even dropped one and it did not break.

Another peice of info, on our X cruise they had a "sign up for three wine workshops, get the Art of Food and Wine Pairing for free" promo. Also, all wine workshops/events were offered twice. Not sure if theis was b/c we were a TA or not. Could be since we had 8 sea days!

Anyhow, enjoy your glasses and the wine that goes in them!:D

Thanks!

We took the wine glass workshop. Hard work! Enjoyed the wines and for us, we did believe that the wines tasted different depending on the glass. They progress you through the glasses tasting the same wine in typically 1-2 glasses for comparison. We got a sampler pack shipped back to us and then went and purchased more of the 2 we used most once back home from a local store.

The wines were also interesting. Is is worth the money? We enjoyed it and felt it was.

As to your last question, I am not sure if they specifically stock the 4 different wine glasses for general use. We were on the Eclipse in January 2011 for our class which was held in the wine bar.

I initially was not planning to go either, just my DW, but did go and enjoyed it with DW. :) I do enjoy good microbeers too! Especially English Bitters.

Edited by shipshape sam

To answer another couple of questions . .

1. no sticker is placed on your card. They have a list of whom has signed up for the workshop and check your name off when you arrive.

2. Your wine is not going to be served in Reidel glasses anywhere but in Marano.

!:D

Which ship? On Century we had a sticker and Riedel glasses every night in the MDR.