Cannes to Monaco - taking baby steps!

keeser

Hi everyone. tks for reading this. Am new to cruising and stopping in Cannes. Proves very expensive to take shore excursion and as a result am hoping to get to Monaco from Cannes by train which I believe is best option?? Open to correction... Anyway I would be so grateful if anyone out there could give me the steps necessary to do this or even answer my questions.

When we arrive of ship in Cannes how do you get to train station and how do you recommend getting there i.e taxi or walk

Where do I get tickets and if I get a return ticket could we get off - on in Nice and continue back on journey

Do I need to do something to ticket before boarding the train. Think I read this somewhere.

I plan on spending just about 2 - 3 hours in Monaco and then coming back to visit Cannes and that way I will be sure to be back in time!!! Am I over cautious???

When I get off train in Monaco where do I go. Is there a hop on hop off bus tour which would probably be good?

What would you recommend me visiting in Monaco in such a short time

What are your opinions on Nice.

I think that about covers it - Am I right in saying that trip by train too Monaco is approx 1 hour. Is there nice scenery on the way

Tks very much for helping a nervous traveller

I plan on spending just about 2 - 3 hours in Monaco and then coming back to visit Cannes and that way I will be sure to be back in time!!! Am I over cautious???

Hi

I can't advise on getting to and from Monaco from Cannes but I am sure others will be able to. However once there, in case it's any help, I did this sort of thing

If you miss out the Oceanographic Museum/Aquarium you can easily do what I did in 2-3 hours, but with a bit of luck you might have nearer 4 hours and have a more relaxed day there. All the best, Tony

I was just staying in Nice and went to both Cannes and Monaco. The train station in Cannes is a few blocks behind the Majestic hotel. It is a big white hotel facing the water. The train should take about an hour to get to Monaco. http://www.voyages-sncf.com

Once in Monaco, you can either walk down the hill to the main area or take an elevator. We didn't find the elevator until we were on our way back (we walked down the hill when we arrived in Monaco).

There is a "hop on hop off bus". It was 18 euros and I believe it makes about 12 stops. We didn't do that but I would next time. http://www.visitmonaco.com/en/Places-to-visit/Walks/Le-Grand-Tour

Cannes and Monaco are both beautiful places and I am looking forward to returning some day...

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

we have already booked tickets from Cannes to Monaco via Rail Europe - cost £13 return each. Have to collect tickets from a machine at Cannes for which we have been given a code. Takes just over one hour each way. Have booked train about 10.10 from Cannes and 1.45 from Monaco which gives us about 2.5 hours there.

still trying to find good map/instructions on how to get to/from each station but still searching!

Have done ship's tour before and only got about half an hour inMonte Carlo which was not enough. hopefully we will not get lost and hopefully have allowed enough time to get back to ship even if train is delayed.

good luck :D

Thank you for your reply

We are almost fully decided now to stay in Cannes and explore the city. Am trying to get info on a tour bus of Cannes without success.

Enjoy your trip as well

Archived