Gluten free diet

Does anyone have any tips for eating in some of the specialty restaurants for a person who is Celiac? Yes, I have notified the cruise line, but this will be my first NCL cruise in 20 years and I'm not certain how special diets are handled on NCL. Thank you in advance for any information ...

Does anyone have any tips for eating in some of the specialty restaurants for a person who is Celiac? Yes, I have notified the cruise line, but this will be my first NCL cruise in 20 years and I'm not certain how special diets are handled on NCL. Thank you in advance for any information ...

This thread might help.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1604637&highlight=gluten+free

I not need gluten free special service basically the maitr'd will go over the menu the evening before ( we taken RCI four times and once Carnival in the past five years)..but I did it once and stopped only because I know what I can eat and not eat, but you have that option. Now NCL is mytime dining which may pose problems they not know where you will eat, when and how to find you to go over the next evenings meal...so maybe somebody else here on this board can help you with those answers.

If you stick with meat any type of meat and make sure its not marinade on it, ask the guy who cuts the meat carvings whether it has marinade and ask the waiter for your meat no gravy and no marinade you be fine. Cruise lines have alot of veggies to offer you can have any of those, any types of salads (I use extra virgin olive oil and vinegar), potatoes and regular rice doesn't bother me, I also eat quinoa that is good for me...those items not have any gluten. You should be fine doing this. Cruise lines that I have gone on in the past after I was diagnosed have gluten free desserts just mention it to the waiter. RCI made me a special cheesecake that was very good! They also make me gluten free breads which I not care for honestly I tried nearly all the brands of gluten free breads still not like any of them but at least they do offer it to you. You can also have sherbert that has no gluten and some cruise lines have gluten free ice cream. Any fruit is great too for us.

I heard that Carnival offers gluten free pasta at its pasta bar and gluten free pizza dough.

I eat gluten free and recently sailed on Norwegian. We ate in the specialty restaurants every night, so because I was always in a different restaurant, I was not able to pre-order my dinner. However, I never had a problem finding something I liked on the menu that was gluten free. There were a few times when the staff would say to pick something else because that particular item had gluten in it, but I usually could get my 1st or 2nd choice. I found the staff to be knowledgeable about gluten free diets. If they didn't know they would ask the chef, so I always felt good about dining on the ship. So basically I didn't have to notify the specialty restaurants ahead of time; all I had to do was show up.

If you do want a particular item that is flour based (like gf pizza or waffles), they sometimes suggested I pre-order it or else wait longer for them to prepare it (since they have to go to a separate gluten free kitchen on the ship). It took me a while to figure out that I had to order it from the main dining room, so sometimes I made sure to go there for breakfast or lunch. However, there were a few times I just showed up for breakfast, ordered the waffles, and were served them quickly. Maybe it depends how busy they are?

I even found plenty of things at the buffet. The restaurant manager said not to eat anything with sauces, so i avoided those. I easily found food there, but the worst part was passing by the dessert table and being unable to eat almost all of those. :( All I could have was chocolate fondue, ice cream, and jello (I didn't eat the jello).

I eat gluten free and recently sailed on Norwegian. We ate in the specialty restaurants every night, so because I was always in a different restaurant, I was not able to pre-order my dinner. However, I never had a problem finding something I liked on the menu that was gluten free. There were a few times when the staff would say to pick something else because that particular item had gluten in it, but I usually could get my 1st or 2nd choice. I found the staff to be knowledgeable about gluten free diets. If they didn't know they would ask the chef, so I always felt good about dining on the ship. So basically I didn't have to notify the specialty restaurants ahead of time; all I had to do was show up.

If you do want a particular item that is flour based (like gf pizza or waffles), they sometimes suggested I pre-order it or else wait longer for them to prepare it (since they have to go to a separate gluten free kitchen on the ship). It took me a while to figure out that I had to order it from the main dining room, so sometimes I made sure to go there for breakfast or lunch. However, there were a few times I just showed up for breakfast, ordered the waffles, and were served them quickly. Maybe it depends how busy they are?

I even found plenty of things at the buffet. The restaurant manager said not to eat anything with sauces, so i avoided those. I easily found food there, but the worst part was passing by the dessert table and being unable to eat almost all of those. :( All I could have was chocolate fondue, ice cream, and jello (I didn't eat the jello).

I'll remember to go to the main dining room in the mornings.. Having Celiac and being very allergic to dairy has been quite a learning experience these past 3 years.. Mostly I just have fruit for dessert… but I can remember how the "good stuff" tasted. Did you per chance eat at the Teppan Grill or Sushi Bar? wondered how they handle the soy sauce..many Asian dishes use sauces which contain soy sauce. I always carry my own Gluten free travel packets..

I'll remember to go to the main dining room in the mornings.. Having Celiac and being very allergic to dairy has been quite a learning experience these past 3 years.. Mostly I just have fruit for dessert… but I can remember how the "good stuff" tasted. Did you per chance eat at the Teppan Grill or Sushi Bar? wondered how they handle the soy sauce..many Asian dishes use sauces which contain soy sauce. I always carry my own Gluten free travel packets..

Are you referring to Teppenyaki? If so, I remember reading a post that said they prepared the gluten free meal first and then did everyone else's.

As for deserts, most of the ships desserts look MUCH better than they taste and you really aren't missing anything. (just my opinion of course)

I've heard a few people mention a flourless chocolate cake that they enjoyed. Look/ask for it.

I didn't go to Teppanyaki or the sushi bar, but we did eat at Bamboo. I got a rice noodle dish without the soy sauce. I'm guessing they seasoned it with salt, pepper, and maybe a little olive oil? I don't know, just a guess. It was very plain, though and not worth the extra money. Your travel packet would have come in handy.

I get gluten free Asian cooking sauces from SAN-J. They have a website and you can get a large box of individual travel packets of Gluten Free Soy Sauce.. I keep a couple in my purse at all times… I've also seen them at "Whole Foods" markets, if you have those where you live. Another excellent cooking sauce they have is Orange Sauce.. try it!

I get gluten free Asian cooking sauces from SAN-J. They have a website and you can get a large box of individual travel packets of Gluten Free Soy Sauce.. I keep a couple in my purse at all times… I've also seen them at "Whole Foods" markets, if you have those where you live. Another excellent cooking sauce they have is Orange Sauce.. try it!

Thanks for the tips!

Thanks for the tips!

Do you happen to know what brand of gluten free bread NCL uses? I've not yet cruised on a ship that bakes their own..Probably too labor intensive and results can vary.. Celebrity,Rccl and Princess use the same brand. I plan to bring my own own UDI's white bread (good European style sliced bread.. closest to normal bread that I've found) If NCL uses that brand, would be nice to know.

Are you referring to Teppenyaki? If so, I remember reading a post that said they prepared the gluten free meal first and then did everyone else's.

As for deserts, most of the ships desserts look MUCH better than they taste and you really aren't missing anything. (just my opinion of course)

I've heard a few people mention a flourless chocolate cake that they enjoyed. Look/ask for it.

I am highly allergic to seafood and shellfish and the Teppanayki chef prepared my meal first and then did the others. I am sure he would do the same for you.

I found these at T.J. Maxx in their little food section once for around $3.00. It wasn't too long ago and since soy sauce keeps just bout forever I got them and set them aside for our next cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

spunkyhungry,

I am going on the norweign dawn on friday (I can't Wait!) with my wife and 2 kids (10 boy and 8yr old girl) .. my wife has Celiac ... so they have GF waffles and pizza as options? Did you like them??

I would love to email you but I can't figure out how to do a private message.

spunkyhungry,

I am going on the norweign dawn on friday (I can't Wait!) with my wife and 2 kids (10 boy and 8yr old girl) .. my wife has Celiac ... so they have GF waffles and pizza as options? Did you like them??

Yes, they do have GF pizza, waffles, pasta, sliced bread, muffins, hamburger and hot dog buns and several other options. It is best to give the restaurant some pre notice because these items are kept frozen until requested.

They have GF chocolate Cake that can be ordered at any restaurant. (more like a tort). Order early in the meal as it takes awhile to thaw, etc.

If you give 24 hour notice you can get GF pizza in the Italian restaurant as well as any pasta dish made GF.

I have sailed NCL GF since 2008 and have always had a wonderful food cruise. I suggest that you dine in the MDR for lunch at embarkation and ask to speak to the Maitre D. They will become your best food friend.

Have a great cruise!

Kim

Do you happen to know what brand of gluten free bread NCL uses? I've not yet cruised on a ship that bakes their own..Probably too labor intensive and results can vary.. Celebrity,Rccl and Princess use the same brand. I plan to bring my own own UDI's white bread (good European style sliced bread.. closest to normal bread that I've found) If NCL uses that brand, would be nice to know.

I don't know the brand, but it was definitely not Udi's. Also, the bread is kept frozen, and they microwaved it before giving it to me. It was awful. I only had it once.

spunkyhungry,

I liked the waffles, but the pizza was terrible. I recognized the crust as Glutino GF frozen pizza crust, which was the first GF pizza I tried before finding better products. If your wife likes their crust she will probably like the pizza. I also disliked the muffins and bread. Unfortunately, they seem to freeze and microwave all their GF products. I think that's why they all taste so terrible. They also sometimes arrive too hot, and by the time you let them cool off they are rock hard.

Kim,

Thank you so much. My wife will be thrilled. I see you have been on the Dawn twice and many norweigen boats so I am assuming you like them?. thanks again, matt

Yes, we really like NCL.

The key is to ask for the breads and muffins to be toasted after it is microwaved. I agree that the bread isn't great, but it works in some dishes when toasted.

French onion soup at Le Bistro

Eggs Benedict at MDR with toasted English Muffin

Toast with escargot is Le Bistro

Toasted hamburger buns with breakfast instead of regular sliced bread

Be very specific when ordering.

Have a great cruise!

I think they baked bread on the Carnival Breeze. DH was served two slices of warm potato bread some nights and other nights he got an individual loaf that tasted like it had too much baking soda in it. He sent the loaf back to get toasted and it was a little better but not good. The potato bread was good with dinner but not good as toast with breakfast.

Both types of bread were better than the frozen buns served on DCL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 2 weeks later...

Pasta is bionaturae, bread products I think are Alta brand which I'm not familiar with. Have not sailed on NCL since my wheat allergy but Holland America made awesome fresh pancakes and waffles. I think the waffles on ncl are kinnikinnick. Not sure if fresh (made with a mix) or their frozen items. Can anyone weigh in? Hoping to get them room service or at Cagney's since we are in a suite. Somewhere on cc their was a list of all items. If you live near a PF changs do takeout from their gf menu and request extra soy sauce for some travel gf soy sauce packets :)

Found the list:

Gluten Free meals are requested as a Special Request and must be made 60 days regardless of itinerary. Also, guests should speak to the Restaurant Manager once they get onboard.

Gluten Free Beer can be requested by a guest at least 60 days prior to sailing, but must be purchased by the case.

Gluten Free Food

28781 GLUTEN-FREE, WAFFLES, REGULAR,8/6/1.7OZ

28691 GLUTEN-FREE, COOKIES, CHOCOLATE CHIP, (KINNINKINNIK),6PK/CS

28692 GLUTEN-FREE, COOKIES, WALNUT OR ALMOND,(KINNINKINNIC

28694 COOKIES, PECAN/Cranberry/ Ginger/Lemon (POM/PAMELAS)

28695 GLUTEN-FREE, COOKIES, PEANUT, BUTTER, (POM/PAMELAS)

28700 GLUTEN-FREE, BAGLE, TAPIOCA, RICE, PLAIN ,(KINNIKINICK)

28703 GLUTEN-FREE, BREAD, RICE WHITE,1/6/1.3

28706 GLUTEN-FREE, BREAD, MULTIGR

28709 GLUTEN-FREE, BUN HAMBURGER ,ALTA,4/6/3.6

28712 GLUTEN-FREE,BUN HOT DOG ,ALTA,4/6/2.13OZ

28715 GLUTEN-FREE, MUFFIN, ENGLISH,ALTA,4/6/3.4

28718 GLUTEN-FREE, MUFFIN BLUEBERRY,6/3/0.13OZ

28721 GLUTEN-FREE, PASTA, DRY, ELBOW, BIONATURAC ORGANIC,12/1-

GLUTEN-FREE, PASTA, DRY, FUSIL(SPIRALS), BIONATURAC

ORGANIC,12/12OZ

GLUTEN-FREE, PASTA, DRY, PENNE, RIGATE, BIONATURAC

ORGANIC,12/12OZ

28733 GLUTEN-FREE, PIZZA CRUST, 7",3/6/6.4OZ

28736 GLUTEN-FREE, SAUCE, TOMATO/SPAGHETTI,(ORGANIC/POM/G -

28739 GLUTEN-FREE, SPICE, BLEND, CHICKEN FLAVORED,BROTH MIX,6/6O

28742 GLUTEN-FREE, SPICE, BLEND, CAJUN,6/3.5OZ

28745 GLUTEN-FREE, SPICE, BLEND, CREOLE,6/5OZ

28748 GLUTEN-FREE, SPICE, BLEND, CLASSIC HERB,6/4OZ

28751 GLUTEN-FREE, SPICE, BLEND, FAJITA,6/4.5OZ

28754 GLUTEN-FREE, SPICE, BLEND, FRENCH ONION,SOUP MIX, 6/4OZ

28757 GLUTEN-FREE, SPICE, BLEND, ITALIAN,6/2O

28760 GLUTEN-FREE, SPICE, BLEND, JERK, CARIBBEAN,6/3.5OZ

28763 GLUTEN-FREE, SPICE, BLEND, LEMON PEPPER,6/4OZ

28766 GLUTEN-FREE, SPICE,BLEND, MONTEREY CHICKEN,6/5OZ

28778 GLUTEN-FREE, SPICE, BLEND, TEXAS MESQUITE RUB,6/5OZ

28772 GLUTEN-FREE, SPICE,BLEND, SAFFRON RICE,6/3.5OZ

28775 GLUTEN-FREE, SPICE,BLEND, TACO,6/4.5OZ

28581 Milk Lactaid Fat Free

Gluten Free Pasta Linguine

Please note that food items are subject to change or substitution without notice.

I suggest that you dine in the MDR for lunch at embarkation and ask to speak to the Maitre D. They will become your best food friend.

Have a great cruise!

Kim

I couldn't agree more. My wife, son and daughter have celiac, so I think its important to get to know your Maitre D......We have been sailing Gluten free since 2006. Every cruise has been great thanks to the Maitre D. They will instruct the waiters what to do, but beware. If you see something that the waiter brings out to you that you question its gluten content...ask for the Maitre D..We've caught a few mistakes made by waiters that failed to follow written instructions. The Maitre D will sit with you at the end of every meal and go through the next nights menu. He will even help out if you would like to go to a specialty restaraunt. We've had them make special deserts to take with us back to our room. Enjoy your cruise

Archived