Juneau question

rockmich

Hello-

We are booked on an Alaskan cruise on Princess cruise line. We are starting to plan for excursions and need some help. We are interested in a Mendenhall Lake Canoe Adventure (offered through the cruise line) as well as Capt. Larry whale watching trip. However, the times of both trips are conflicting. The canoe trip is in Glacier National Park is in Native American canoes. I am leaning towards the Capt Larry trip because it is so well recommended. Can anyone recommend an alternate to the canoe trip in Juneau? Is there another company that offers a similiar canoe trip?

Thanks

BQ-

We are in Juneau from 6:30am-4pm. Orca Enterprises has tours from 9:30am-1:00pm and 12:00pm-3:30pm. The Mendenhall Lake Canoe Adventure that we wanted to go on is from 11-2:30pm. So, you see my predicament. I checked on-line yesterday, and this seems to be the only canoe adventure. My 10 year old daughter just has her heart set on it. I know that Capt. Larry is the best, but are there any other reputable whale watching tours in Juneau.

Thanks so much for all your help.... it has been invaluable.

If you're into very large canoes and glaciers, and you happen to also be stopping in Skagway (or Haines), you might try the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari. It's kinda pricey, but well worth it. The trip offers a bit of everything: fast-ferry cruise along the inside passage (they always hit the sea lion pullout rock); short, easy walk through the woods and a large canoe out to the foot of a very cool glacier (the Davidson). It's not as big as the Mendenhall, but you'll probably see more critters and it's certainly more rustic and "authentic".

The guides are among the best in Alaska and have been doing that trip and living in that place, for many years.

Personally, i'd say it beats the Mendenhall trip hands down.

• 3 weeks later...

We read good things about Harv and Marv's for whale watching. It is a smaller boat with flexible hours. I can't vouch for it yet but if the email exchanges are any indication, they should be a blast. See alaskawhalewatch.com. Good luck.

We booked it through Princess on our last cruise and are going again this June. As I recall, it was Chilkat Guides. I think your daughter would love it. Anyway, I found a link to a description, except that ours did not include a flight, but rather a high-speed catamaran to Glacier Point.

http://www.igougo.com/planning/journalEntryFreeForm.asp?JournalID=5078&EntryID=4758&n=Glacier+Point+Wilderness+Safari

Just checked my Princess Adventures Ashore book from 2004 and the Glacier Point we booked on-line for this June -- both are $219 pp (no discount for kids). It's a fairly long excursion that includes a nice lunch. We also did the Mendenhall Lake Canoe Adventure in Juneau, and although I could recommend that one too if you want to get close to a glacier without getting into a plane, the Glacier Point Safari in Skagway was really outstanding. The setting could have been on the cover of a National Geographic --No crowds, wonderful guides, just a perfect day.

BQ-

We are in Juneau from 6:30am-4pm. Orca Enterprises has tours from 9:30am-1:00pm and 12:00pm-3:30pm. The Mendenhall Lake Canoe Adventure that we wanted to go on is from 11-2:30pm. So, you see my predicament. I checked on-line yesterday, and this seems to be the only canoe adventure. My 10 year old daughter just has her heart set on it. I know that Capt. Larry is the best, but are there any other reputable whale watching tours in Juneau.

Thanks so much for all your help.... it has been invaluable.

We have a smaller boat that is available for private charters and it has a more flexible schedule than mine. I have two very professional captains that operate our other boats. Give us a call and we may be able to help.

Capt. Larry

Archived